Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2023, 05:04 PM

1,126 posts, read 607,749 times

Advertisements

Toronto is considered the raccoon capital of the world. It is infested with them buggers and they rule the streets at night.

Any man do they ever get big.

Anyhoo, the city raccoons have thoroughly adapted to living in the urban jungle. Just go out on garbage night and they are ALL out ... basically an all you can eat buffet for them. They also eat all the litter that lazy ppl throw out in the streets, under shrubs with all the little pieces of food stuff etc.

I didn't read this huge post... so forgive me if it's a repeat... but for me it's cockroaches. I hate those buggers with a passion. I actually am paranoid that they will get into my home somehow (probably shopping bags, boxes, etc) and spread.

I know they don't really spread disease or anything, but they freak me out and are just gross :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 06:52 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Actual mammals I can't think of much that I would want to see extinct. mice and certain species of rats maybe. Like the sewer rats that infest urban armpits like NYC. Insects and arachnids now there are a few. Mosquitoes ticks fleas and such blood sucking pests I would spring for a party if they suddenly vanished. Flies could be on the list but they actually have a legitimate and effective medical use. Maggots will clean out the worst infections from serious wounds and they also contribute in the wild helping to clean up dead animals.

Putting up with the adults is something I can deal with considering the practical uses this annoying insect can provide. I have been the recipient of maggot use in wound cleaning. The infection was life threatening and widespread. Thing is I didn't know they had done it till the little buggers started coming out of my bandages after they had finished cleaning out all the dead infected tissue. However the treatment saved my life and my leg so there was no reason to argue about it.

When talking extinction one must be careful what they wish for. There are certain flies that can go bye bye but the common house fly has a legitimate purpose as do other carrion disposal species. There is an order to nature and human interference in that order I.E. "playing God" is a dangerous thing. Mosquitoes as much as I loathe them feed the bats and birds. I like bats and birds very much. Ticks now....I see no purpose for such a loathsome critter.

n Going back to mice and rats they provide staple food for critters I rather like having around. Non venomous snakes foxes and of course raptors. Vannishing them would be harmful. These rodents and a lot of other animal and insect life are only the nuisance they are because humans give them habitat and food in such abundance in a predator free environment. It's no wonder the cities are so over run with them. When a single apartment unit (unit not complex) can provide a predator(s) a food source that can run into perpetuity who's fault is that. Hint...it ain't the rodents. It's scumbag people who live in filth feeding a meth habit in a dwelling that you can smell the odor from miles downwind. And there's sprawling complexes that have mass numbers of such units.

So I reckon I'm gonna keep my list of extinction candidates short at ticks fleas and other such blood sucking vermin. Lice make the list to. But the most of other vermin like certain rodents wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the habits of humans. The awesome cool critters have to eat and they eat rodents. I wouldn't want to see massive awesome predators like raptors go extinct from lack of food.

So rather than wishing extinction on the verminous rodents I would suggest a plan that's probably less likely to happen. Humans cleaning up their act. Run all the meth maggots and other bipedal vermin into work camps doze their former habitat up and plant trees where they once stood. As I think about it there are no wild critters here where I live (other than ticks and fleas) that don't have a purpose either in predator or prey categories. Maybe these cities should consider turning loose a few freight cars full of bull snakes and felines loose in these disgusting tenement complexes where human vermin live. Maybe even some predators that will dine on long pig. Close the areas off with good barrier walls turn all the big cats and such loose inside and Katy bar the door. Let the minor preds clean out the vermin and the apex ones the bipedal vermin when its job done another methville apartment complex is closed off and waiting.

Have gun towers around these areas to to ensure the human vermin stay inside the barrier. Hell once the latter are gone and a food chain established with the more minor preds and the rodents the cleanup will take care of itself.

Of course the apex types would only be useful inside these established barriers and would have to be relocated to subsequent enclosures. Once they see humans as primary prey they wouldn't be much use for anything else. But that's why we have tranq guns cages and transport. So, in terms of actual benefit to nature as a whole and discounting human dislike for certain animals and insects/arachnids humans in our current form are the critters that really need to go away. Or seriously reduce population and clean up the filthy habitats so many humans live in that vermin can't help but thrive in.

I wouldn't argue much if any if all of a sudden it was just mine n me and a few other select folks left on the planet. Vermin thrive around humans. We're their biggest food and habitat providers. Humankind is the animal that really has no purpose on the planet. All that being said I'm no Nature nazi sandwash Sandinista bunny hugging John Lennon hippie type. I'm bout as countryfied (some call me redneck) as they come. Though I'm NOT a "redneck" in the context implied by most. However I have lived and coexisted with the wild things in the wild places most of my now 59 years as of next week.

I have a hard time even wishing total extinction on much of anything. Just a couple. Other than that, if humans cleaned up their act (and I'm not even considering greenhouse gas emissions global warming and all that other Greta Thurnberg bilge) the verminous animal population would take care of itself.

Old 09-28-2023, 10:47 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Question: Is it possible for a raccoon to find his way back to former his territory?
Raccoons have enormous territories. They travel long distances, so yes, they can make their way back to their former territory and would have to be moved a very long distance away before they couldn't. Like relocating them to Alaska from New Mexico.

Relocating can be a cruel solution. Raccoons fight, sometimes to the death, over territory and you would most likely be moving your raccoon into another raccoon's territory, where your raccoon would not know the location of food sources and drinking water and would most likely be attacked by the resident raccoon.

Not to mention, unless you are moving your raccoon hundreds of miles away from any human habitation, you are turning your problem raccoon into some one else's problem raccoon.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:22 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Raccoons have enormous territories. They travel long distances, so yes, they can make their way back to their former territory and would have to be moved a very long distance away before they couldn't. Like relocating them to Alaska from New Mexico.

Relocating can be a cruel solution. Raccoons fight, sometimes to the death, over territory and you would most likely be moving your raccoon into another raccoon's territory, where your raccoon would not know the location of food sources and drinking water and would most likely be attacked by the resident raccoon.

Not to mention, unless you are moving your raccoon hundreds of miles away from any human habitation, you are turning your problem raccoon into some one else's problem raccoon.

I had raccoons in my backyard for just a couple of days and my birdfeeder was hung too low. First, I saw tracks. Then, my cat was going absolutely nuts. Then, I actually spotted them. I took away their food source and they willingly left for greener pastures .

Old 09-29-2023, 08:36 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
snakes and mosquitos

Old 09-30-2023, 10:07 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,278,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I wouldn't use the word "purpose," because that implies a conscious being who created everything.

Right. The only purpose or reason to exist of any species is to survive and reproduce and go on existing.

Old 10-01-2023, 03:35 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...ry%20functions.
" How do mosquito bites affect immunity?"

Going back to mosquitos, it does seem that their mosquito bite does have some benefits to humans.

Quote:
The saliva of these blood-sucking creatures contains many bioactive ingredients, including some which prevent clot formation, and others that promote the growth of new blood vessels. In addition, some have immunomodulatory functions.

Old 10-02-2023, 03:58 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
snakes and mosquitos
Nawwww. Snakes are cool. Non venomous ones are welcome on my spread anytime. My son caught a few big bullsnakes and sent them down holes when I had a gopher infestation and they were all gone in a week, What didn't get ate vamoosed. I always put them under my house as well and NEVER had a mouse issue. Rattlers I have a non aggression treaty with. They stay off my spread and they live. I used to kill them out of hand but not anymore.

I always had issue with calling dishonest humans "snakes". You won't find a more honest critter. You always know where you stand with one. Skeeters now...I'm leaning on agreeing with but as I said earlier the bats and birds gobble them with gusto . I like to see a healthy well fed population of bats and birds.

Old 10-02-2023, 05:11 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
I second not getting rid of snakes. Someone mentioned upthread that everything has a purpose and it is true. Your point about snakes is well taken NVPlumber! And mosquitos as nasty and annoying as they are, provide food for many living beings. The hard truth is we need them. Ugh I can't believe I said that

Old 10-03-2023, 07:23 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,926,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I second not getting rid of snakes. Someone mentioned upthread that everything has a purpose and it is true. Your point about snakes is well taken NVPlumber! And mosquitos as nasty and annoying as they are, provide food for many living beings. The hard truth is we need them. Ugh I can't believe I said that
This topic has been beaten into the ground, but it's been scientifically shown that blood sucking mosquitoes could be made extinct without serious impact to other creatures. There are plenty of substitute prey items and pollinators.

Mosquitoes exist because they are superbly adapted after 100 million years of evolution. They are a very tough and resilient species. They don't exist because the biosphere said, "oh, we need a blood sucker species to fill this niche!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature