Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 03:03 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,363,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Mosquitoes and Fleas.

Surprisingly, cockroaches aren't a big problem around here as they mostly stay outside. But mosquitoes and fleas, sayanora and hasta la vista.

I've often thought if we ever colonized another planet that was without life, we needed to be sure that we never let a mosquito travel to that new world.

And no, I don't feel bad about saying that.
YES! I forgot fleas on my list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 03:17 PM

10,918 posts, read 7,440,288 times
Mosquitoes cause the most human deaths, even more than other humans; 780,000 in 2016. Let's wipe them out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...mals_to_humans

Old 07-18-2023, 03:28 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,891,929 times
OH yes! Forgot about black flies. Please yes can we do the black flies???

(If you've never experienced the "joy" of black flies in the spring - it is something to behold...from behind your netting...)

Old 07-18-2023, 03:32 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,659,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
(I figured this is the best section to start this thread.)

I'm seeing about more human deaths caused by alligators & bears. If it was up to you, which animals would be totally extinct? Now I like animals as much as the next person, but the ones who can always easily kill humans are another story & I wouldn't careif they were gone from this earth. & notice that they'll quickly kill an animal if it's killed a person. It's like an animal's life is more valued than a human's because we'd face consequences by law for harming/killing animals. If it were up to me, there would be no more of these animals on earth:

alligators
crocodiles
highly venemous snakes
highly venemous spiders

Now I won't say sharks because their home is the ocean & people don't really have to surf, etc., but of course you can't tell certain people that. But, it's personally fine w/ me to add sharks on the list too.

Now I know, technically people will say many things against it such as:

- the reason bears, cougrs, & maybe some alligators come into residential areas is because we're doing construction & their habitat is dwindling.

- well not all humans are more valuable than animals. What about all the prisoners who are murderers, rapists, etc. who contribute nothing to society?

- how scientists may be doing research on certain animals that may one day cure diseases/save us

Well, I'm not going to think about that. Certain animals just do no good. They just cause turmoil. & a human life should be more valuable than any animal's.

This is just meant to be interesting discussion, not to argue w/ anyone.
Interesting. Not on board with the idea of the critters you mention just disappearing. Gators and crocs I don't exactly have a chummy treaty of any kind with as I do with critters here but they have a purpose. I don't like to be cozied up with venomous snakes and spiders but ya know what? I've had to. And I've been bit. Not by snakes though. Black widow 4 times. Doc tells me if I get bit again it's either going to have no effect (most likely) or it will kill me dead. Widders have a strange venom I guess that can do very strange things on someone who's been bitten before. IDK. I do know such forms of life are a fact of life. There's not much herebouts in the way of flora and fauna that won't bite sting or stick you.

The creatures I think need to disappear are mosquitoes ticks parasitic worms and such. Those are critters I don't know what God was thinking. I can think of a purpose for flies ants most other bugs 6 or 8 legged. But not the blood suckers. They can all die. As far as any I would like to see brought back from extiction ...I just can't think of any. Would I dig on seeing a Smilodon alive in the wild? That would be cool as long as I'm a ways off and armed with a heavy rifle. But cool as it may be these animals would not survive in the wild today. Ice age megafauna I have always found fascinating. The cats in particular but a couple of the mega birds were awesome too.

But I don't want to see ANY animals that have gone away come back. Not mega fauna or dino's anyway. I'd have to change up my entire behavior and equipage in the wild places if such animals were about. I wouldn't care. I'd still go out risk of running into a mega pred be damned. I don't imagine mammoths or wooly rhino's would be any less intimidating. Maybe more so. having to pack a rifle big enough to stop one of those would not be fun. I'm not a swinging young buck anymore. I'd let my Son pack that rig. Nahhh these animals as plumb cool as they were are gone for a reason.

But hey our forebears dealt with these critters daily with their best weapon being a spear. And we're still here. Africa managed to keep a bunch of species of megafauna going. Rhinos elephants buffalo cats and such. The evolved forms of what was. Here in N America we still have very large bears, decedents of bigger bears, we have the mountain lion which has been around a long time and the sea. Well what to say about that.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:13 AM

9,016 posts, read 13,864,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Agree with Cal Worth - it'sssss People!
Followed closely by mosquitos.

Re: pit bulls - at about 30 fatal attacks per year.

There are 10 times as many pitbulls as bears, USA - so if bears killed more than three people in a year, a bear would be more dangerous, no? Actual deaths by bear, USA, last year? 4 per year, average. Why are they still around? What is their purpose?
And the maulings?

What sort of protection do pits provide that other dogs cannot do?

Old 07-19-2023, 02:45 AM

12,575 posts, read 9,665,004 times
Mosquitoes, ticks, fleas. Besides being generally gross and annoying, mosquitoes are huge disease vectors, and ticks and fleas are right behind them.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:34 AM

9,891 posts, read 7,778,971 times
I really don't need them to go extinct, I just want them to stay out of my house. All of them.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:56 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,891,929 times
And the maulings? What sort of protection do pits provide that other dogs cannot do?

Not sure where you're going with this - but - whether or not they provide protection - or love - or company - or aggression - is entirely up to the human being at the other end of the leash.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:17 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,351,613 times
Mosquitos.

Old 07-19-2023, 08:04 AM

5,687 posts, read 3,185,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I've always wondered what role ticks play in the ecosystem.

Mosquitoes

Roaches

Fleas

A few less house sparrows wouldn't be bad either - they kill things like bluebirds! (they are not protected in the US)
I remember reading an article a few years ago, that was talking about how they smash bluebird eggs, and kill the baby bluebirds. The article went on to say that if you found yourself twisting the neck of a house sparrow, no one would mind. At all. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature