Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 07:58 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times

Advertisements

I've been in love with elephants since the day I was born, so Wooly Mammoth.

Other: Pterodactyl, Ivory-Billed Woodpecker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 08:29 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Neanderthals (Homo neanderthalensis).

Old 07-18-2023, 08:36 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
dodo bird

Old 07-18-2023, 08:39 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Did you know that some of us have Neanderthal DNA? So...you might be seeing Neanderthal and not even know it. ;-)

Old 07-18-2023, 08:55 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Did you know that some of us have Neanderthal DNA? So...you might be seeing Neanderthal and not even know it. ;-)
Yes, but I'm holding out for actual Neanderthals.

I've always been fascinated by the concept of sapient intelligence other than our own.

Old 07-18-2023, 09:03 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I would like to see the Carolina Parakeet make a comeback. The last one in captivity died in 1918. They were the only native parrot to North America, and there used to be flocks of millions. Farmers tended to hate them because they would eat certain crops.

But I think it'd be so cool to see glimpses of them flying around among the bluffs of the Mississippi River.
That sounds pretty good to me.

Old 07-18-2023, 11:50 AM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I'll vote for that.

They've sequenced a complete Neanderthal genome, so in theory it is possible to recreate the species, or at least an individual with the Neanderthal genome.

What would such a creature look like? Well, it might look like an ordinary human, or it (let's say "he" from now on) might be short, very stocky and powerfully built, with a large cranium, wide face, long nose, and heavy eyebrows.

Neanderthal bones have larger muscle attachment sites than modern human bones, suggesting they were much stronger. Some say, 10-12 times stronger than humans. They had larger brain cases, possibly to accommodate better visual and auditory acuity, and possibly stronger sense of smell.

The ethicists say, no, we shouldn't do this because, well, it's unethical. The organism we create might be very defective, might not fit in with modern children, might not eat a modern diet (neanderthals supposedly didn't eat grains, though it's pretty obvious they ate pretty much anything they could get their hands on -- fruit, plants, animals, probably insects).

I say, go for it.

One warning though about woolly mammoths and other mega-fauna. They lived in a pretty savage era. Mammoths and mastodons are thought to have been very ferocious, much more aggressive than modern-day elephants. If one saw you, it would likely charge and kill you immediately. So if you see a mastodon, hide.

Old 07-18-2023, 12:56 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I'll vote for that.

They've sequenced a complete Neanderthal genome, so in theory it is possible to recreate the species, or at least an individual with the Neanderthal genome.

What would such a creature look like? Well, it might look like an ordinary human, or it (let's say "he" from now on) might be short, very stocky and powerfully built, with a large cranium, wide face, long nose, and heavy eyebrows.

Neanderthal bones have larger muscle attachment sites than modern human bones, suggesting they were much stronger. Some say, 10-12 times stronger than humans. They had larger brain cases, possibly to accommodate better visual and auditory acuity, and possibly stronger sense of smell.

The ethicists say, no, we shouldn't do this because, well, it's unethical. The organism we create might be very defective, might not fit in with modern children, might not eat a modern diet (neanderthals supposedly didn't eat grains, though it's pretty obvious they ate pretty much anything they could get their hands on -- fruit, plants, animals, probably insects).

I say, go for it.

One warning though about woolly mammoths and other mega-fauna. They lived in a pretty savage era. Mammoths and mastodons are thought to have been very ferocious, much more aggressive than modern-day elephants. If one saw you, it would likely charge and kill you immediately. So if you see a mastodon, hide.
What?? You mean...they're NOT shy and gentle creatures? LOL

Old 07-18-2023, 03:04 PM

3,264 posts, read 1,745,602 times
Saber tooth tiger. The Apex predator of all.

Old 07-18-2023, 03:09 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I'll vote for that.

I say, go for it.

If scientists could recreate a Neanderthal being, it would be incredibly cruel to the created one. I hope this never happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature