Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 03:41 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...solar-eclipse/
Quote:
The sun is 400 times bigger than the moon, but it’s also 400 times farther away from us—a glorious cosmic coincidence that has the moon precisely covering the sun’s face when the two align. The result is a total solar eclipse. The alignment is visible only within a narrow band, the path of totality, which will arc across North America on April 8. (The last total eclipse on the continent was in August 2017.) More than 40 million people live within the totality path, and millions more are a few hours away. Spring weather will affect visibility; much of the northeastern U.S. and maritime Canada tends to be cloudy this time of year. If you aim to see the spectacle, keep an eye on the weather and try to stay mobile, recommends Michael Zeiler, an eclipse cartographer who runs the Great American Eclipse website. (The April event will be the 12th he will witness.) Zeiler guarantees that “no one who has ever traveled to see totality has regretted the effort.”
I agree 100% with Michael Zeiler. To see totality is a life changing event. We were in Weizer, ID for the eclipse in 2017 and it was truly amazingClick image for larger version

Name:	Eclipse.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	248627Click image for larger version

Name:	Eclipse 1.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	248626
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 04:13 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
The best place to see the eclipse will be where it is cloudless. Unfortunately, most of the US path has only about a 50% chance of clear skies on the day of the eclipse. The best chances are in Mexico. So pick a spot on the path of totality that's reasonably convenient to get to, be prepared to shift position on eclipse day, and above all be prepared for possible disappointment!

Old 02-07-2024, 08:54 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Total solar eclipse April 2024: The 10 biggest cities within the path of totality

https://www.livescience.com/space/th...th-of-totality

Weather wise April is a crap-shoot

We are going to Indianapolis https://www.indianapolismotorspeedwa...events/eclipse
Quote:
TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE EVENT presented by PURDUE UNIVERSITY

It’s a once in a lifetime experience, and there’s no better place to enjoy it than at the Racing Capital of the World!

Old 02-08-2024, 06:09 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Of course, it's a bit late for this unless you're driving yourself and have someone to stay with... most people made their travel plans (hotel/campsite, flight) a year ago (at least). Hotels had waiting lists more than a year in advance. Many hotels-- even of the low-end, Motel 6 variety-- are charging $1000/night or more (and many that were charging less found an excuse to cancel reservations then offer a rebooking at significantly more), and campsites aren't going for much less. Flight prices have been volatile and sometimes gouging as much as lodging is. I assume car rentals are booked solid. If you're only just now starting to look for a place... good luck.

Old 02-09-2024, 07:41 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Of course, it's a bit late for this unless you're driving yourself and have someone to stay with... most people made their travel plans (hotel/campsite, flight) a year ago (at least). Hotels had waiting lists more than a year in advance. Many hotels-- even of the low-end, Motel 6 variety-- are charging $1000/night or more (and many that were charging less found an excuse to cancel reservations then offer a rebooking at significantly more), and campsites aren't going for much less. Flight prices have been volatile and sometimes gouging as much as lodging is. I assume car rentals are booked solid. If you're only just now starting to look for a place... good luck.
I have a friend in Hot Springs, AR who invited us long ago to visit and stay at her house during the eclipse. Went online last month to look for plane tickets. Silly me. The closest we can get for a reasonable price is Oklahoma City. I had no idea how early the flights would be booked up

Old 02-09-2024, 08:57 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Oh, yes. This is a Big Deal; people have been planning since the last total eclipse, and gouging is rampant.

Old 02-11-2024, 11:20 AM

392 posts, read 275,084 times
I'm going to be watching from a cruise ship off the coast of Mexico.

Old 02-12-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1067 View Post
I'm going to be watching from a cruise ship off the coast of Mexico.
Lucky you! I wish I had held out for that option, instead of jumping into the first tour I found (which is in Texas).

Old 02-12-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have a friend in Hot Springs, AR who invited us long ago to visit and stay at her house during the eclipse. Went online last month to look for plane tickets. Silly me. The closest we can get for a reasonable price is Oklahoma City. I had no idea how early the flights would be booked up
If you can get a bit more time off, see what the flights look like a few days before and after the eclipse. You may find the prices lower, as a lot of people want to get in just before the eclipse and then get back home right away.

Old 02-13-2024, 01:23 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If you can get a bit more time off, see what the flights look like a few days before and after the eclipse. You may find the prices lower, as a lot of people want to get in just before the eclipse and then get back home right away.

That's what we did. We fly out to Little Rock Saturday before and fly home Saturday afterwards. Booked flights months ago, as well as the rental car. Booked the timeshare in Fairfield Bay 9 months ago and there was only one unit left. Glad I got up at midnight to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature