U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:55 AM

4,296 posts, read 6,483,603 times

Advertisements

I have a family of birds on my front porch, and while they might not be my 'pets' exactly, I do look out for them. I watched the two birds build the nest, and eventually they laid eggs and they hatched.

The next morning, one of the little birds was laying dead on my porch - covered in ants. I figured he had just fallen out or something. I removed the body, and discarded it out in the woods. The next morning, another bird had died, he was right below where the nest was, also covered in ants. I moved him out to where the other was (the other was already nothing but bones - only hours later).

I came back to the house, and the third one was on the ground. He is not dead, but he is motionless, and has his head firmly buried against the vinyl. I gave him a little nudge and he looked up at me, then quickly went back to 'hiding'.

What can I do for him? Should I plop him back in his nest? Would that make his parent birds neglect him? I don't think there are any more babies up there, making him the last of his litter. I think they are Purple Martin's but I am not 100% sure. Any help is appreciated, I'd rather not sit back and watch him die.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:31 PM

7 posts, read 34,947 times
I'm not sure where you live but over here there's a disease where baby birds will hop out of the nest early and start plucking their feathers. After that, they lose their sense of balance. They start to stumble around and crash into things and after about an hour, have a siezure and die. Lots of times we'll just find them next to their nest or tree. Maybe that's it? Im sorry no one posted earlier I hope the little guy made it :\ if not, I'm sorry I couldn't help. Maybe next time something like that happens you could try a wildlife rehabilitation center near you? I hope this was at least a little informative or helpful >.< I'm sorry about the birds

Old 06-18-2012, 06:37 PM

706 posts, read 1,932,456 times
There might be a baby cowbird in the nest. Cowbirds lay their eggs in other birds nests, and then go away and let the foster parents raise them. The baby cowbirds are bigger and kick their rivals out of the nest, but the foster parents never know the difference.

It is also common for the natural parents to feed only the strongest most aggressive chick, preserving the Darwinian principle that favors survival of one strong chick over four weak ones.

Purple Martins normally nest only in communal boxes, but several other swallows nest in single next boxes. If you're east of the Rockies, it could be a tree swallow. If they're martins, the male will be a glossy black and the femae dull with lightish underneath. Tree swallows are all black above and snow white below.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 PM

2,202 posts, read 3,739,650 times
Every year we have a robin nest in one of the trees in our front yard and another on the flood light along the side. One year a piece of ribbon was used in the making of a "flood light nest" and it hung near the motion sensor. On nights with a breeze the ribbon would repeatedly make the light go on. We joked that the robin did it on purpose so the heat of the lamp would warm the nest throughout the night.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 PM

19,254 posts, read 58,454,222 times
I agree, cowbird or other invading bird pushing out the others. Interfering with migratory birds is a Federal offense. Even if you did interfere or intervene, chances are it is too late.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:19 AM

71 posts, read 112,577 times
I only say the dead birds are so pity.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:53 PM

14,657 posts, read 20,491,903 times
get a shoe box and cover the bottom with cotton and get some raw egg beaten and a drop of kayro syrup and get an eye dropper and water mixed with the egg and kayro and just a small drop at a time will help him to survive and keep a heating pad up under the shoe box . I hope I have helped . I do this alot and my husband just shakes his head and says you cant save them all , and my response is No but I sure can help out .. I hope i helped you .

Old 06-29-2012, 07:13 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,901,810 times
I can't believe it has taken us four years to answer this question, but I seriously doubt that there would be purple martins nesting outside of a man-made martin house or gourd, outside of an old woodpecker hole in a sycamore tree or outside of a hole in a saguaro cactus.

What to feed a baby bird can be very different depending on the species. When I was a boy I fledged a loggerheaded shrike that had been orphaned (I was not aware of the existence of the MBTA 1918 at that time) by feeding it strips of dove breast with shavings from the keel bone for calcium and supplementing with whatever grasshoppers, crickets, dragonflies and other insects I could catch. That was fun.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:51 PM

62 posts, read 73,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
get a shoe box and cover the bottom with cotton and get some raw egg beaten and a drop of kayro syrup and get an eye dropper and water mixed with the egg and kayro and just a small drop at a time will help him to survive and keep a heating pad up under the shoe box . I hope I have helped . I do this alot and my husband just shakes his head and says you cant save them all , and my response is No but I sure can help out .. I hope i helped you .
Please! Never feed a baby bird or try to raise one yourself. Simply keep the baby warm and quiet and contact a wildlife rehabilitator. Not all birds eat the same diets, and you must have a permit from USF&W to care for a wild bird.

The majority of birds that I take in are lost causes because of human error. We never feed a baby bird until after we've treated it for shock, administered fluids by injection, and have it's body temperature normal for at least 2 hours.

You can return a baby bird to it's nest without the parents rejecting it. If the nest can't be reached, you can make an artificial nest from a small basket or butter tub and place it in the nearest proximity of the original nest. The parents will return and continue to care for the baby.

peep
USF&W & Texas permitted wildlife rehabber

Old 10-06-2012, 01:06 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,865,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peep531 View Post
Please! Never feed a baby bird or try to raise one yourself. Simply keep the baby warm and quiet and contact a wildlife rehabilitator. Not all birds eat the same diets, and you must have a permit from USF&W to care for a wild bird.

The majority of birds that I take in are lost causes because of human error. We never feed a baby bird until after we've treated it for shock, administered fluids by injection, and have it's body temperature normal for at least 2 hours.

You can return a baby bird to it's nest without the parents rejecting it. If the nest can't be reached, you can make an artificial nest from a small basket or butter tub and place it in the nearest proximity of the original nest. The parents will return and continue to care for the baby.

peep
USF&W & Texas permitted wildlife rehabber

I found a baby bird on the sidewalk right outside of Philly after a brutal storm. I head him, but I not could see him. Couldn't see a nest or anything. I finally found him, and he didn't have feathers. I looked in the trash and got a cup to put him in. I fully thought he was going to die, but I just couldn't let him go to his end on a filthy sidewalk. To cut a few chapters out, I gave him water with an eyedropper and fed him Dinty Moore Beef Stem with chop sticks. He we growing by the day. It turned out he was a Robin. I would put him in a huge orange tree in my apartment, and he would sort of jump-fly to my shoulder when I got home from work. He would sit with me while I read the paper. Unfortunately, this became somewhat unsanitary. So, I call the Schuylkill Nature Center and they tell me to get him there right away. When I got there the crazy bird ladies brutally chastised me, but I really had no idea.
Decades later, I'm a rabid bird watcher / raptor fan. I always wonder if that Robin didnt send this obsession to me in some cosmic way [/storytime]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature