Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:14 AM

793 posts, read 2,212,939 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if there is a safe way to get rid of a raccoon, that comes in the house and steal cat food.

Every year around this time, for now the 3rd year in a row, a big raccoon comes in the house through the cat door. I am surprise that thing can even fit through it. I don't know if it is the same one, cause the last one I really scare that one off, that i didn't see him around anymore after that, until now. The cats use the cat door to go out when i am not around, so I can't close it. I am not often around, cause I am a very busy person. So I am only home for only a few hours a day, to sleep or rest.

I don't want to put poison, cause i have cats and there are a number of pets in the neighborhood. Same reason for traps.

What I can I do? I live in an area where it is common to see wild animals in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 06:37 PM

485 posts, read 1,952,755 times
The raccoon is not a pet!

I like raccoons, my late wife and I fed a small family of them for years.

But they stayed outside(the greyhounds quickly decided they were family, and stopped barking at them).

Call animal control, raccoons can be very destructive-they quickly discover where the food is, and they aren't neat about getting.

They may also harm your cats.

Not to mention the danger of rabies.

If this is a big 'coon, it's likely a boar, and a boar 'coon is nearly as dangerous as a small bear.

Try to have him relocated far, far away!

Old 07-25-2008, 06:52 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
I don't know how you can get rid of a raccoon, but they do make cat doors that have a magnetic latch/mechanism that only opens for animals that have collars on them. Not really sure if it is magnetic or not.. could be a a radio frequency.

Here's a link to a cat door.. http://www.moorepet-petdoors.com/Cat...catwalkmag.htm

Old 07-25-2008, 10:07 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
My in-laws had this going on and I found it scary.

Their cats would hang back and let the raccoons eat the cat food, so no fights ever happened, but the raccoons were coming into the garage, much like your house.

Personally, that would be the end of the cat door for me. I don't know of any way to deter a raccoon - they're pretty determined and clever animals. I think you need to cut off their food source by closing up the cat door.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:25 AM

485 posts, read 1,952,755 times
One way that might help is to put some cat food away from the house-the raccoon will eat it, and not risk entering your home.

Maybe.

The native Americans called the raccoon, "little man of the woods''and respected him-I think they fill a similar niche to monkeys, elsewhere.

They make good wild friends-but not house pets-and a certain distance is essential.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:55 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
My father was a wildlife rehabilitator, and I had a pet raccoon growing up. Take it from me, there's not much that can deter a determined raccoon! Even though they don't have opposable digits they can manipulate objects very well, and they seem to have very sensitive "fingertips" that help them distinguish between things. Sometimes it seems as if they figure things out be feel rather than vision. Sam was almost 35 pounds and he could open the cupboards and the linen closet, turn on water faucets and lift the lid of the clothes hamper for example. Oh, and he was VERY motivated by food. I think you may need to eliminate the cat door.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:15 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
Default raccoons

my mom had a feral cat colony she was feeding for awhile and 3 coons joined in, My dad had made some feeding trays out of trim wood and screening and there was always cat food in them. At one time she had 24 cats and 3 coons 'for dinner" the cats learned to bang on the metal section of the back door and someone would come to see what happened, usually it was "need food please" well darned if the coons didn't learn the trick...they'd bang and step back, not the least bit scared of us, wait til the food was down and we'd gone back in and then eat. I was home at Thanksgiving 3 years ago and heard the banging, went to fill the "dishes" and the coon was pissed off, there was a possum eating out of "their" dish. the cats 3 or 4 at that time, had no idea what that was, and were looking like "make him go away" the coon was just plain pissed. I grabbed the broom and banged it on the deck, the possum looked at me and I said "scoot' and he started to leave, so I banged the deck again and he was gone. turned around and the coon and cats were eating. All was fine.

the funny thing was, it didin't matter who came out the door with food, they just stepped back and waited....

Old 07-26-2008, 11:49 PM

146 posts, read 738,542 times
Contact your local animal control, or fish and game. Our AC has traps they will loan out. We had a skunk problem a few years back. The traps are spring loaded. You place an open can of cat food inside and when the animal goes in, it trips the trap.....Usually LOL

Our particular skunk family was very smart. They would reach thru the cage wire and get the food out of the cans without being caught!

Maybe put the trap right inside your door where the dog door is. You can cover the cage with a blanket. Fish and game will probably come pick it up and relocate it for you.

Good luck with your little bandits! I used to fish on the river at night, and the racoons would steal my fish right off the stringer.....Brave little buggers!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:05 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
I agree with the trap inside the door and put up your cats until it is caught - I had a friend who trappped many raccons [who were killing and eating her chickens - actually we think the raccoons killed them, the foxes killed and ate them - She shot her racoons but I am sure you could have it hauled off. Racoons LOVE canned cat food.

Even if you discount the damange they can do, they can carry Rabies for a long time without symptoms and also distemper. A raccon could also kill at cat if so inclined

Old 08-02-2008, 08:09 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,459,731 times
Raccoons are dangerous to people as well. Not just because of rabies, but they could probably rip your face off if they wanted too. I'd be more scared of a raccoon than a coyote or wolf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature