Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:55 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Our coons are really picky.

A couple of times we ran out or couldn't get their regular brand so I got one that had different colored kibbles.
They picked out all the red ones and threw them all over the porch.

Yesterday I fried up some fish. I put some skins and other pieces in their dish.
They dragged it out and just ate the kibble.
I threw it out in the yard and somebody ate it.

I also put out a bowl of left over egg batter.
At first they didn't like it. Probably because of the spices.
Then the babies got in the bowl and made a mess.
So I put it out in the yard and the next morning it was licked clean.

They really like it when we put grapes or cherries in their dish.
They don't throw those out.

Whenever I find an egg with a hole or crack, I give it to the coons.
They eat everything, including the shells.
They are good for food recycling. I've been concentrating on other wildlife...numerous types of birds, squirrels, chipmunks in the heat wave this summer; and deer usually in the winter but also this summer. Water and different types of food.

Recently, we finished our watermelon and I thought why not cut the rind that still had some of the red on it and some seeds, cut it in smaller pieces and put them out for whatever animal. Birds liked that during the day. Then at night when I turned on the lights to take a look there was a large dark form a few yards away. I thought it was a bear. Not a problem. I kept looking and it rumbled along and then split up just a little...it was four large raccoons moving as one enjoying bathing and eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 08:49 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Another thought and I suppose this depends on where you live but.. since I was moving I was giving the raccoons a last hurrah for a few weeks and throwing extra food out for them. A pack of coyotes showed up (I caught them on vid..daytime) and were tramping through my yard and woodline (attracted by the food I tossed out). And later there was screaming coming from the woods. I think they got a couple of the raccoons. There should have been 8 or 9 of them... now there are 4.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:01 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Another thought and I suppose this depends on where you live but.. since I was moving I was giving the raccoons a last hurrah for a few weeks and throwing extra food out for them. A pack of coyotes showed up (I caught them on vid..daytime) and were tramping through my yard and woodline (attracted by the food I tossed out). And later there was screaming coming from the woods. I think they got a couple of the raccoons. There should have been 8 or 9 of them... now there are 4.
Awww, that stinks. We think of that too and I think we have lost a few too. We have bears, Bob cats, Florida Jaguars/Panthers floating in and out of the yard mostly at night. Sometimes an occasional big cat will wander through during the daylight hours. Fortunately the gators stay put in the canal.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Awww, that stinks. We think of that too and I think we have lost a few too. We have bears, Bob cats, Florida Jaguars/Panthers floating in and out of the yard mostly at night. Sometimes an occasional big cat will wander through during the daylight hours. Fortunately the gators stay put in the canal.

Yeah.. I reckon I'd be more careful with those predators coming around. Although, we're starting to see a lot of bear around these parts lately. Only had a bobcat once.
Do you or have you thought about putting an outdoor cam out?

Old 08-16-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah.. I reckon I'd be more careful with those predators coming around. Although, we're starting to see a lot of bear around these parts lately. Only had a bobcat once.
Do you or have you thought about putting an outdoor cam out?
No, we don't worry for ourselves. They wouldn't break into the lanai except if they were starving.....any of the wild critters.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
No, we don't worry for ourselves. They wouldn't break into the lanai except if they were starving.....any of the wild critters.

I was thinking about the cam just for the fun of it. What you might see.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I was thinking about the cam just for the fun of it. What you might see.
Lol, I am so used to people being fearful, that I misunderstood you! Yeah, that would be fun but my landlord won't permit it.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:00 AM

Update on Rocky Raccoon. She had a litter of pups(?) kits(?) a few months ago. We know because she has enormous nipples hanging down now. She comes every day, 2 or 3 times a day and now literally eats out of my hand. She is so gentle and even leaves her right paw in my hand sometimes when she is chewing. Lol, I think she is left-pawed.

Last evening the 3 adults of the house were out on the lanai talking about Rocky. I was talking about how I was surprised she hasn't brought the babies up to show the her humans! Rocky was there eating her supper.

Lo and behold, what comes up from the canal this morning??? Rocky, Mr. Rocky and 5 babies!! They did not come over to the lanai, just went up a tree for a few minutes and then went back home. A few minutes later Rocky came back up for her breakfast and I fed her.

What a joy it was to see the babies! They weren't small either! Rocky seems fatter to me. Maybe she is pregnant again and it is time for the kids to leave home. IDK. I fail to look up anything about raccoons and their habits.

I'm hoping as time goes by, Rocky will start to bring her kids up to me.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
I love raccoons, they're so smart and clever, but DO NOT TOUCH THEM!! And don't allow them to touch you.

They carry bacteria that other mammals don't carry - like, squirrels and deer - and wildlife rehabbers have to be vaccinated before they rehab raccoons.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:41 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Update on Rocky Raccoon. She had a litter of pups(?) kits(?) a few months ago. We know because she has enormous nipples hanging down now. She comes every day, 2 or 3 times a day and now literally eats out of my hand. She is so gentle and even leaves her right paw in my hand sometimes when she is chewing. Lol, I think she is left-pawed.

Last evening the 3 adults of the house were out on the lanai talking about Rocky. I was talking about how I was surprised she hasn't brought the babies up to show the her humans! Rocky was there eating her supper.

Lo and behold, what comes up from the canal this morning??? Rocky, Mr. Rocky and 5 babies!! They did not come over to the lanai, just went up a tree for a few minutes and then went back home. A few minutes later Rocky came back up for her breakfast and I fed her.

What a joy it was to see the babies! They weren't small either! Rocky seems fatter to me. Maybe she is pregnant again and it is time for the kids to leave home. IDK. I fail to look up anything about raccoons and their habits.

I'm hoping as time goes by, Rocky will start to bring her kids up to me.
My sister has raised orphaned raccoons and returned them to the wild for nearly 30 years. A few have returned from time to time to visit her and one in particular has brought several litters over the years, thought the babies tend to stay in the background while Mama coon does some mooching from familiar hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature