Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times

Advertisements

ok, sadly to say, this was it....

the greyfox carrying off the cottontail...it was long like that, and sounded like more then one...

really bone penetrating sound....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 02:35 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
Well, whatever it was, I think it's clear that for the safety of your dog, you shouldn't allow him outside off-leash at any time. Even with supervision, a predator can attack and take off with a small animal too quickly for a human to react.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Well, whatever it was, I think it's clear that for the safety of your dog, you shouldn't allow him outside off-leash at any time. Even with supervision, a predator can attack and take off with a small animal too quickly for a human to react.
He is never off the leash, I said, we were going for a walk. I know better, believe me, a hard lesson learned when I was a kid.

Not to mention, I hate people that let their dogs run loose and say they would never bite anyone. My brother actually had to stop distance riding his bike b/c of other peoples dogs biting him. Awful...

Old 03-17-2009, 12:26 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
Funny story for sounds - years ago I ran a horse rental business up by Mt Rainier - I would take a ride and let my Mule just tag along like a dog. There was a boy scout camp near by - taking a hike in the woods. John the mule was doing his own thing and realized he wasn't with us. He started screaming (a mule can sound like a cross between woman and cougar screaming) he went crashing through the woods screaming braking branches running over small trees - for around 5 minutes looking for us.

The boy scout kids all freaked out - they thought big foot was coming for them... The whole camp cleared out an hour later! It was pretty funny....I tried to stop over and say sorry for John noises they didn't believe me....

Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Funny story for sounds - years ago I ran a horse rental business up by Mt Rainier - I would take a ride and let my Mule just tag along like a dog. There was a boy scout camp near by - taking a hike in the woods. John the mule was doing his own thing and realized he wasn't with us. He started screaming (a mule can sound like a cross between woman and cougar screaming) he went crashing through the woods screaming braking branches running over small trees - for around 5 minutes looking for us.

The boy scout kids all freaked out - they thought big foot was coming for them... The whole camp cleared out an hour later! It was pretty funny....I tried to stop over and say sorry for John noises they didn't believe me....

so, was he screaming b/c he couldn't find you or b/c something scared him?

Cute story, but I can imagine how scared the kids must have been? I'd have been....lol

Old 03-18-2009, 01:24 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
He was looking for us - he all of sudden realized he was alone... it was funny, but it would have scared the death out of me too if I didn't know what that sound was.

A rabbit can make some wierd sounds also.... I remember back when I was 13 baby sitting at night and the cat went next store and caught a rabbit - they had pet rabbits loose in back yard. The noise scarded me - never heard it before - I thought someone was taking one of the kids! Ended up getting the rabbit away from the cat and saved it, but that was one wild noise.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
He was looking for us - he all of sudden realized he was alone... it was funny, but it would have scared the death out of me too if I didn't know what that sound was.

A rabbit can make some wierd sounds also.... I remember back when I was 13 baby sitting at night and the cat went next store and caught a rabbit - they had pet rabbits loose in back yard. The noise scarded me - never heard it before - I thought someone was taking one of the kids! Ended up getting the rabbit away from the cat and saved it, but that was one wild noise.
yes, your right...I heard it to, but I forget where....and then when I heard the sounds of a fox catching a rabbit, I remembered....

That mule must have been a sweetie....

Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,194 times
My cat caught a baby bunny once, I have never heard something scream so loud! It was a terrible sound!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:31 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
many thanks,
yanno, I think it sounded like the fox in Distress, but it was very loud and went on for approximately 3 minutes or more, and it sounded like two, like fighting...
Well, it's mating season and if you hear what we hear when our foxes make whoopee, it's a hair raising sound indeed.

Funny how an animal in distress and an animal mating sound so much alike. Hmmmm, wonder what that says about love.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:08 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
I was thinking that the OP describes what I've heard around here and I was told it was minks mating. Apparently it isn't a very loveable experience for the two parties, at least it doesn't seem so. My neighbor used to raise minks. He said their lovemaking noises area god-awful sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature