Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 07:15 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times

Advertisements

Am I alone in this: last night I watched animal planet. The show was about animals that live in extreme climates. At one point they where talking about ummm.... king penquins (i've now forgotten what they're called) and how the fathers carry around the eggs until they hatch while the mothers are off for 4 months. When the mothers come back they make the switch. Towards the end of the program they showed what looked like 25 baby penquins lost in a blizzard when the host said sadly these will be the first casualties. I don't know what came over me but I started to cry thinking I understand mother nature and life of a wild animal BUT these men filmed these penquins for over a year and while i know they can't interfere how could they film these baby penquins that are lost and will die and know they will die and not do anything even just give them a little itty bitty nudge in the right direction.

i guess i should just stop watching animal planet. i think i'm too sensitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 08:51 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Animal Planet is way too addictive IMHO. I cant get enough of it. Id rather watch a show about animals that i know nothing about and get educated than watch a Soap or Big Brother any day.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:22 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
Am I alone in this: last night I watched animal planet. The show was about animals that live in extreme climates. At one point they where talking about ummm.... king penquins (i've now forgotten what they're called) and how the fathers carry around the eggs until they hatch while the mothers are off for 4 months. When the mothers come back they make the switch. Towards the end of the program they showed what looked like 25 baby penquins lost in a blizzard when the host said sadly these will be the first casualties. I don't know what came over me but I started to cry thinking I understand mother nature and life of a wild animal BUT these men filmed these penquins for over a year and while i know they can't interfere how could they film these baby penquins that are lost and will die and know they will die and not do anything even just give them a little itty bitty nudge in the right direction.

i guess i should just stop watching animal planet. i think i'm too sensitive.

So, why couldn't they give them a nudge to help them out?? We watched for several weeks as two whales were nudged and cajoled back to sea out in San Francisco. What's the difference.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
So, why couldn't they give them a nudge to help them out?? We watched for several weeks as two whales were nudged and cajoled back to sea out in San Francisco. What's the difference.
That's what was so upsetting to me. Why couldn't they just help them out even just a tiny bit. What harm could come from it. Who knows maybe they did. I just thought wow what a way to end the show.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:38 PM

89 posts, read 387,573 times
The show you saw was one of the episodes of the "Planet Earth" series. This series isn't out to save animals, it shows the perils of animals who live in harsh climates. It also shows adaptive mechanisms and many other things that I find amazing because I would never have the patience to sit and film all of it. The cinematography is pure art and is really amazing. The entire series was fantastic and I have it on DVD. Sure there are harsh times like when the baby emperor penguins got lost in the blizzard, but if they interfered, they would have ruined all of their efforts to film the series with as little human interaction as possible. Another part of that episode showed a polar bear who basically died of starvation and wounds suffered from trying to take down a walrus for food. If the penguins were tough for anyone to watch, I would avoid the episode on "the plains" where it shows an entire pride of lions bring down an elephant.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE animals, but I found it fascinating and refreshing to see real nature. That episode actually reminded me a lot of "March of the Penguins" which also broke my heart with the harsh reality of life in the Antarctic. If nothing else, the series reminded me of how fragile our ecosystem really is, and it really proved that all of earth's ecosystems are something we should be striving to protect and preserve.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:09 PM

Emperor penquins! That's it. I did watch the polar bear and was very sad by it but i guess because the bear died fighting for food made it somehow a little easier to understand. I'm not naive i understand true nature and these animals are wild and do kill other animals to stay alive. What bothered me so much about these penquins was the fact that they were not being "taken down" by prey they got themselves turnaround because of the storm because of their young age and that's what killed them not another wild animal.

Guess I won't be watching March of the Penquins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature