Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:52 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,895,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I am assuming there is a hidden religious side to all this as the earth was formed, if i remember correctly, just 6,000 years ago according to some.

Mountains have to form very quickly to give this idea credibility.

I also notice the OP promised an answer to the age of the planet then sidestepped it in a later post using a lot of blah blah to cover the lack of an honest answer.

Intelligent Design believer?

Moved to Florida from Kansas...
It seems like such a waste of effort, though. Once you've made the assumption that there is an omnipotent being who created everything, you no longer need to explain why things are the way the are as "God just created it like that" is a perfectly reasonable explanation.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
It seems like such a waste of effort, though. Once you've made the assumption that there is an omnipotent being who created everything, you no longer need to explain why things are the way the are as "God just created it like that" is a perfectly reasonable explanation.
True, but there is always that creeping bit of doubt, and that doubt needs justification.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:58 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,315,133 times
Quote:
You're just so completely wrong. We can measure the slow motion of plates and it agrees well with accepted theories. The only sudden motion is during large earthquakes--like the recent one in Chile. There has never been any evidence produced for your theory. Your caveat that "that's how nature works" is just you saying that--you offer no real evidence other than a very poor analogy.
Let's begin with the basics, ok....

1. Can you merge to hard glass plates, or bottles together? yes or no....

2. Can things that are hard, merge together and form waves? yes or no...

Please...let's just start with the basics...and please answer honestly...

Old 03-06-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I am assuming there is a hidden religious side to all this as the earth was formed, if i remember correctly, just 6,000 years ago according to some.

Mountains have to form very quickly to give this idea credibility.

I also notice the OP promised an answer to the age of the planet then sidestepped it in a later post using a lot of blah blah to cover the lack of an honest answer.

Intelligent Design believer?

Moved to Florida from Kansas...
Some basics for you...

How is energy produced?

Does anything you observe in the physical world change or move without energy?

In order for a canon ball to be launched, what does it take?

And if you point that canon ball at a clay wall or wall of glass what does the impact create?

Energy creates what in matter?

Observe the above...what's the first thing you see leaving the point of impact?....heat and waves right....
in this order 1.Impact 2. heat 3. waves

Impact, sorce of energy, heat, as a result of friction, waves, the energy being transfered....

It's a simple formula that applies to mass....

Notice that the waves created on impact are created instantly...not over millions of years...and because of rapid cooling...the waves or wrinkles will always be in the landscape....they harden in place...thus you have A, B, or C....

Think about what I'm saying please....

With certain mountains, your basically looking at 'frozen' waves.....

edited add on:

This rolling hills painting illustrates my point...waves like this can only be
formed while mass is in liquid or semi liquid form....so that tells us that a
great deal of it was molten, or wet, when formed...and simply cooled or
solidified quickly, before nature could seek 'balance'...a flat plain.....
It would be like solidifying ocean waves instantly....

Last edited by Time and Space; 03-06-2010 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 02:19 PM

I'll bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Let's begin with the basics, ok....

1. Can you merge to hard glass plates, or bottles together? yes or no....

2. Can things that are hard, merge together and form waves? yes or no...

Please...let's just start with the basics...and please answer honestly...
1) I can't merge to anything. I can merge two bottles if I heat them above their glass transition temperature.

2) Yes, of course they can. Hard plates can and do show wave-like behavior, it's just the time scale is too fast to see. This is the phenomenon responsible for earthquakes, which move at approximately the speed of sound.

Neither of those things explain the formation of mountains, though. Mountains are described by plastic deformation of rock, which is actually viscoselastic, like silly putty. What that mean is that it displays viscous behavior on long time scales and elastic behavior on short time scales. What determines "long" and "short" depends on the particular material. For rock, the timescale is thousands of years; for silly putty it's seconds.

By the way, valid arguments against the theory of viscoelastic rock behavior do not include

1) That doesn't make sense
2) I've seen rock, it doesn't behave like a liquid
3) Any analogy to the behavior of liquid water

Old 03-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:

This rolling hills painting illustrates my point...waves like this can only be
formed while mass is in liquid or semi liquid form....
Buckling occurs in solid materials. It's called plastic deformation and it describes everything you're saying can't happen in solids.

Buckling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plasticity (physics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plate tectonics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, here's an experiment you can try yourself. Take a piece of paper. Crumple it up. Flatten it back out. Unless you iron it, you've created mountains with more relief than any on earth.

Last edited by jayrandom; 03-06-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 02:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
Quote:

It's called erosion. Look it up in a dictionary.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Buckling occurs in solid materials. It's called plastic deformation and it describes everything you're saying can't happen in solids.

Buckling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plasticity (physics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plate tectonics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, here's an experiment you can try yourself. Take a piece of paper. Crumple it up. Flatten it back out. Unless you iron it, you've created mountains with more relief than any on earth.
Ok, I will read up on "Buckling, plasticity, plate tectonics...

But you must admit my 'frozen wave' term was profound...and I doubt you've ever heard that anywhere else before...

Please concede my brilliance, where it is evident....

I mean this is how new discovers in science theory are made...

Like in the movie 'Beautiful mind'....

Not all old school science theory is correct....and we have a opportunity here to disprove them....

Any ways...I will read your articles...ok...

back shortly....

Old 03-06-2010, 03:19 PM

Your brilliance is not evident. Your theory was novel in that it was entirely wrong. Coming up with novel solutions to things that are already well-explained and don't have any known faults is not a good use of your time. If you want to make a contribution scientifically, find a topic that interests you, study in great deal what is known, and see if you can make any contributions to further knowledge. That takes a lot more work than it seems you're interested in putting in, but it's the only way to make any real breakthroughs.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
It's called erosion. Look it up in a dictionary.
Erosion is a false theory....

I'll proove it...

Why do you think they have to constantly dredge the missippi river..
Answer. cause the bottom of the river keeps filling up with silt and mud...erosion builds up...that's why they have to keep dredgeing the missippi to keep it deep...

2nd example....
As a kid, I grew up behind a wheat field...and all summer long...the stream in our back yard built up...meaning the mud and vegitation keep filling it, it became less and less shallow...

But when the spring floods came...in a matter of hours or days, the creak was widened again, and new crevisas and canyons were created almost instantly from the force of the water....

In other words land altering events happen suddenly and immidietly by other large mass colliding with it....

It takes massive energy to change any landscape...not some small brook or stream....I witnessed this myself...

Your relying to much on old theory here...use your common observed sense in science and nature...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.