Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Please stop with the millions of years stuff...

I forget where, but every year somewhere up by Alaska or north of...the polar bears wait for the 'ice' to form....so they can work there way out to hunt...

Shipping lanes that are clear up there, freeze, the ocean freezes, come winter...this does not take million and millions of years....

I don't want to get pulled into this...cause I'm making a lot of people mad, upset...
They think I'm trying to promote God, or Jesus...and tell them they're condemned to hll...just because I have a different theory...

Some people really have issues with God, and I wish they'd leave me out of it...

I'm just going by my observed science...I'm not trying to promote God...

I don't need science to proove or disproove God...it's a faith, it has nothing to do with science...but others don't see it like that...

If I go against this billions and millions of years stuff...they think I'm trying to perform an excorcism on them...

As a result...

Obviously none of you have seen my photos...I think I have them on private....

Believe me you...if I showed you some of my photos...you would not think I was someone Christians would like...

So I'm not here to promote God...I hear to promote thought...independent thought...which spurns innovation, new ideas, challenges old stale notions...and is how progress is made...

Now it's become like a witch hunt in reverse...

I'm sorry cjg5, I kinda got of course there...

I owe you a better response than that...a more scientific one...
I'll repost a better response, without the drama...
It is okay to have an open mind as long as one's brain doesn't fall out.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Quote:
There we go with the millions of years stuff again...heck, have you ever seen what a good long 3 days of snow does to Wisconson?...piles up higher than a house...It does not take millions and millions of years for snow to cover the arctic...
And what happens come spring in Wisconsin? The snow melts. At polar regions, the snow doesn't always all melt. Also of note is that Wisconsin gets far higher precipitation than polar regions. In fact, most of Antarctica is a desert. (Receives less than 10 inches of precipitation annually). So snow can pile up (and then melt) quite quickly in Wisconsin, whereas it does take much longer to accumulate in other areas.

Quote:
What's that one phenomina, where the polarity of the earth shifts?
I'll have to look that up...something about the magnetic field of the earth shifts every so often...this could have an effect on that...
As far as I know, magnetic polarity has nothing to do with ice caps. The Earth is tilted on its axis at an angle great enough to prevent solar radiation from reaching the poles during their respective winters. And during their summers, despite 24 hours of direct sunlight, there still isn't enough solar radiation going into these areas to melt the caps. Sure, sea ice retreats every summer to an extent, but it doesn't fully disappear (as snow on someone's front lawn in Wisconsin would). Again, the annual mean temperature of these regions is well below the point necessary for year round ice and permafrost to exist. In Wisconsin, it's not. Just for the fun of it, let's say Wisconsin was cold enough to retain even just some of the snow it accumulates every year. Let's say that every year, there is still one inch of snow that hasn't melted or evaporated left over by the time winter starts again. After two years, two inches are there (the inch from the current year, plus the inch from the previous year). After 100 years, we are at 100 inches. After 1000 years, we are at 1000 inches, etc. Although I'm sure by that point in time, all the snow and ice would have reflected so much solar radiation back out into space that Wisconsin would never see a warm day ever again, not even in summer! (BTW, this type of process is how glaciers are formed, that of not all the snow in an area has melted or evaporated away by the start of the next snow season, and it just keeps growing year by year).

But hey, this has nothing to do with mountain building, although glaciers are in part responsible for shaping mountains.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:32 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
BTW, I do realize (before someone points it out to me) that it would be very possible for Wisconsin to see warm days again. Processes are at work all the time which constantly change our climate. Hell, there have been times in the past where there weren't any glaciers at all on Earth, and also times where the entire Earth was encased in ice. It was just a hypothetical scenario.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:47 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
If you come on here only to make trouble and insult, I'll bring that to the attention
of a moderator...
Don't you think the appropriate Moderator(s) have been paying attention to this thread? I have not seen any deletions.

Okay, now back to your "theory" ..

Think about this and you can do a real life experiment too if you have a pool handy... Take two blow up rafts and put them in the pool now have two persons(you stand by and watch) push them toward each other SLOWLY until they meet, then using the same force continue pushing SLOWLY ..
This is how some mountains are formed.

The speed at which the plates move is relatively fast and massive in pressure.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Quote:
Don't you think the appropriate Moderator(s) have been paying attention to this thread? I have not seen any deletions.
Well I feel like this person is like hannible the cannible...
And don't understand why they are so hostile...they were like...'No! it's 'your kind', who blah whatever...

My kind meaning 'the religious' I guess...it's as if they think I'm here to persacute them...
Like i'.m a vampire slayer or something...
Everything was going so well to...all was still, like the night before xmas...
Then 'bam!' out of nowhere here comes this angry spirit...totally destroying the goodwill that had been achieved....oh well...

Quote:
Okay, now back to your "theory" ..

Think about this and you can do a real life experiment too if you have a pool handy... Take two blow up rafts and put them in the pool now have two persons(you stand by and watch) push them toward each other SLOWLY until they meet, then using the same force continue pushing SLOWLY ..
This is how some mountains are formed.

The speed at which the plates move is relatively fast and massive in pressure.
Woh, so are you saying you agree with me?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Relatively fast in geologic terms.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Relatively fast in geologic terms.

I took this photo myself while in the desert...I think the SW desert...

The thing that amazes me about the SW desert is the various, almost randomn rock formations you come across...
It almost looks like a giant drain basin...you know, like how water washes away the loose soil, and only the true hard rock remains...

There's lots of rock formations like this in the desert, where it just looks like rocks shoot straight out of the ground, for no appearant reason...

It really does baffle the mind...or like giant boulder sized pile of rocks...as if a mountain sized dump truck just dumped it there...again no real ryme or reason for it...but it's beautiful to gaze up, and or climb...

Last edited by Time and Space; 12-28-2011 at 01:34 AM..

Old 12-28-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Relative to their size, when you are talking something the size of the North Atlantic plate 10 cm is astoundingly fast and imagine the pressure it exerts.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:

It really does baffle the mind...or like giant boulder sized pile of rocks...as if a mountain sized dump truck just dumped it there...again no real ryme or reason for it...but it's beautiful to gaze up, and or climb...
In a way, a mountain size dump-truck did drop some of them.

Really not mysterious at all, not doing your homework so if you research it you will get answers.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:

The thing that amazes me about the SW desert is the various, almost randomn rock formations you come across...
It almost looks like a giant drain basin...you know, like how water washes away the loose soil, and only the true hard rock remains...

There's lots of rock formations like this in the desert, where it just looks like rocks shoot straight out of the ground, for no appearant reason...

One word - erosion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.