Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 06:13 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times

Advertisements

This weekend, DH and I went to a Raptor Center and saw, upclose, 5 types of owls, an eagle, a buzzard, and several kinds of hawks. How magnificant they are! We really enjoyed it.

They told a story of an eagle they rescued which had had it's leg entangled so severely with fishing line that all the skin on one leg had been stripped off. At first they could see no alternative but to either euthanize it or at least amputate the leg. The vet decided to try something he had heard about.

The vet operated on the eagle, by pulling the affected leg up under the skin across its chest. I don't remember how long the leg was left that way, but when it was removed from under the skin, the skin on the leg had regenerated. The eagle was eventually released. I thought that was amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,150,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This weekend, DH and I went to a Raptor Center and saw, upclose, 5 types of owls, an eagle, a buzzard, and several kinds of hawks.
I'm green with envy. What kind of owls were there?

While I've heard of this type of operation being done on humans, I'd not heard of it being done on any type of animal before. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:27 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,276,649 times
Wow! Lucky birdie!

Old 05-12-2010, 09:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Interesting story on the eagle.

I'm thinking of nicknaming my area around the farmhouse as "raptor ridge". This Feb. there were at least 5 bald eagles (first time I'd ever seen them there). Last summer Barn Owles and Great Horned owls were common every night to the point that one could not sleep with the windows open for all the owl hooting in the trees immediately next to the house. I saw one Osprey (probably migrating) . Approx. 7 vultures ( a.k.a turkey buzzards) perch on the barn and surrounding corral fence daily from Spring to late Fall (kind of spooky). Hawks and kestrels are pretty common. Think I saw a Cooper's Hawk in early Spring hunting over a bird feeder.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:44 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,150,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
. Approx. 7 vultures ( a.k.a turkey buzzards) perch on the barn and surrounding corral fence daily from Spring to late Fall (kind of spooky).
I know people think of them as sort of "harbingers of doom" but I'm very fond of them and my (ok, so they're not really mine...) black vultures. Maybe not the most attractive creatures on the planet, but for a neat freak like me, vultures are the business.

They come along and tidy up - just how brilliant is that?! .

Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
I know people think of them as sort of "harbingers of doom" but I'm very fond of them and my (ok, so they're not really mine...) black vultures. Maybe not the most attractive creatures on the planet, but for a neat freak like me, vultures are the business.

They come along and tidy up - just how brilliant is that?! .
I enjoy watching them air their wings and bath in the sun but when they swoop down in the yard I sometimes yell at them "I'm not dead yet!" and wave my arms.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,473,473 times
My friend lives on a farm in SW MO and had one of those inflatable swimming pools. She fell asleep in the pool one day and awoke to a group of vultures sitting on the fence posts staring at her....she must have been sleeping really well!
They have a pair of barn owls nesting in their empty silo. Last year there were 2 fledgling owls hopping around. It's pretty neat.
I am always amazed at the number of redtail hawks that get hit on the highways around here. They swoop across in front of cars going after prey. I imagine semi trucks get a lot of them...

Old 06-03-2010, 01:56 PM

314 posts, read 414,786 times
i once saw a owl the size of a small crow it was white it was the smallest owl ive ever seen before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature