U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:46 AM

13,322 posts, read 21,419,104 times

Advertisements

I have such sadness for all that will be coming our way due to the oil explosion in the gulf.
Can you barely watch as the pelicans, and other wild life are covered from head to toe in this gunk? Sometimes on the news I can hardly tell that under all that muck, and gunk, is a living ( or barely living) bird.
I have tears.......
It is not in the least political for me. I don't care who the President would be at this time. Any party, anyone. But, I do want to see him within this muck.....in there.......out there. Standing knee high in brown, thick, oil.
I don't want to see him singing. And, be minded that I am for no party and have no interest in right or left shinanigans. Also, I can note that I love singing and feel it is "usually" a wonderful thing.
My sadness comes in the fact that I have never found beaches more perfect and with such beauty as the ones on the gulf coast. The whitest, white you can imagine......As soft as salt and sugar together.
So strong is its beauty that you must adorn thick, dark glasses to survive its glare. What will happen to all this beauty?
When will the beaches ever be the same once this comes ashore?....(and I know some has.)
Will it take more then "our lifetimes" for us to be able to swim without turning brown in oil......or sick from ingestion?
For some reason I don't see the panic over this. What do the Key West people think? What do the Panhandle people think? East Coast?
Am I the only one who wants to go on the beach with a sign saying.......
" Save this beach" and " Save our wildlife."
I'd like to go to help clean up these beautiful creatures of our shores......
Wondering if BP would like to support a plane load of people to go do this.
I am so sad.....sad......sad.......
I am wondering, are you too.......City Data people?
This may be the end of your shores as you know them now. The end of the east coast waters too. The end of fishing, fish food.....fisherman!
Are we ready for this? A lifetime of sick birds, toxic shores, and the end of fishing fleets?
What say you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 AM

43,856 posts, read 47,682,367 times
I think it is a major concern to all.....especially people who make a living along these coasts!! It isn't just about clean up, it's about a loss of revenue and livelihood to thousands of families. It is also about a decreased value of property in an already declining market. Charging BP $69 million initially is actually a joke.

If T. Boone Pickens has a personal networth of $3 BILLION ...there is lots of money that can be used to salvage the disaster to these people. (T. Boone Pickens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

After that, a massive clean up needs to be addressed.

I realize this was an accident and the loss of all this oil in bad economic times is tough for everyone involved, but BP will have to take responsibility for the choices made. This will hurt all their employees, stock holders and vendors as well.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:20 AM

That is certainly a part of the problem. Our own daughter had to cancel a trip to the golf coast. They go to swim in the ocean and with the oil coming in it won't be possible.
The loss to the hotel owners and condo owners who rent will be another hit on the economy.
Without immediate cleanup....fast and furiously....much will be lost in all areas.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:29 AM

Florida State Emergency Response Team Information Blog go to the Floridadisaster.org site for projections and hit on the SERT area.......
The blog area states sadly....." Oil sheen was reported by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission at 6 miles from the Navarre Pier in Santa Rosa city on June 3rd"

Navarre is very close to the Fort Walton Beach, then heading on down towards Destin. Wonderful white sand beaches.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:05 PM

4,092 posts, read 4,554,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
It is not in the least political for me. I don't care who the President would be at this time. Any party, anyone. But, I do want to see him within this muck.....in there.......out there. Standing knee high in brown, thick, oil.
I don't want to see him singing. And, be minded that I am for no party and have no interest in right or left shinanigans.
Not the least bit political, then you critisize the president.

Not to be a broken record, but the biggest culprit (yet again) is the Bush Administration that blatantly relaxed regulation on oil companies while in power. Anyone who voted for Bush in either election totally deserves this gunk on their whitest white beaches.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,738,163 times
This is a very depressing situation . I'm sorry for all of us but especially for those who will lose their livelyhood because of it .

Old 06-04-2010, 12:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,470,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Not the least bit political, then you critisize the president.

Not to be a broken record, but the biggest culprit (yet again) is the Bush Administration that blatantly relaxed regulation on oil companies while in power. Anyone who voted for Bush in either election totally deserves this gunk on their whitest white beaches.
I could not agree more. People that try to spin things to in some way make Obama look bad say nothing of the YEARS the BUSH CRIME CARTEL sold us out to big business. How can you put a price on a way of life? I hope BP has to spend every last dime of their assets to pay for the COMPLETE 100% clean up and pay back every dime people have lost and will loose in the years to come. Screw the BP stockholders. Thats what they deserve for investing in such a company that has shown little concern about the public and too much concern about stashing billions in the bank....

Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,738,163 times
Everything is about one party or the other, fact is both are just as quilty as the other ! Vote every one of them out , start over and keep watch on the next ones .

Of course this won't happen because too many people defend their parties instead of their nation .

The real cause is us , we put them there for our selfish reasons .

All the so called mother nature lovers use the web ,drive autos they curse and do no more than the worst of us to the environment .

The only innocent ones are the omish who use no modern gadgets . So get on the web or phone and drive down to the grocery store where all the food is you eat and tell me about it , use your power and city water , wear clothes made in high energty use factories .

Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,238,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
All the so called mother nature lovers use the web ,drive autos they curse and do no more than the worst of us to the environment .
What a load of hooey.

Actually, most of the people I know in Chicago work very hard to recycle (if not compost), walk/take public transportation instead of driving (I actually took my daughter to school on the back of my bike), and in general are light-years more "nature loving" than the boneheads who litter, drive Hummers and in general are totally wasteful and disrespect the earth.

You realize that Ronald Reagan actually removed perfectly functional solar panels from the White House over 30 years ago and let Jimmy Carter's solar tax credits expire?

Think about this - had Reagan continued what Carter started, we might have a thriving solar industry & might long ago have moved to electric cars powered by solar.

Then we wouldn't need BP to be out there drilling in 5,000 feet deep water.

Yes, all of us who use gasoline share some culpability - but it's far from equal.

Caught in the oil - The Big Picture - Boston.com

Old 06-04-2010, 02:55 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,238,351 times
...and here's more hilarity. So these people don't think they have to pay taxes because they get paid in cash? And then on top of that they think they're "self reliant"?

Newsflash, hypocrites - you aren't nonconformists, you are criminals.

I'd bet a kidney this a heavily-Republican voting area...

Oil spill: Fishermen seeking compensation for losses fear the tax man - chicagotribune.com

But the request for tax records poses a serious challenge to some residents of close-knit fishing communities on the swampy edges of southeastern Louisiana, which for generations have harbored self-reliant nonconformists who don't pay much heed to everyday rules and regulations.

In other words, they often get paid in cash — and don't always report it.

"I worked for an uncle last year who paid me in cash," said a crab fisherman who asked to remain anonymous. "The BP guy wanted my tax statements, but how can I pay taxes if everything I earned was in cash?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature