Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:13 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times

Advertisements

I'm from Oklahoma and have a healthy respect for Nebraska and its people. Almost everyone that I've met from the great state of Nebraska is down to earth, polite, and just all around good people. I've never been to Lincoln, but I'm sure you'll like it very much. As someone else said, Omaha is only a hop, skip, and a jump away and Omaha has a lot going on. Nice, clean city with good parks and such; Omaha has an "up and coming" feel to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,650 times
Default Karoake in Lincoln

If you enjoy Karaoke, the Cellar has it every Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights from 9pm-12:30am. Its a loung atmosphere, cozy. There is always a wide variety of people, young and old. Lots of variety in the songs people sing also.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:04 PM

212 posts, read 901,291 times
We have two malls in Lincoln, Gateway and SouthPointe. If you come during the summer, you should go to the Haymarket. Tornado Season is March through September. Lincoln has been very lucky, but tornadoes have hit surrounding communities. A few years ago, a village called Hallam was almost completely gone after a tornado hit there. I've been here for 18 years and haven't had any problems.
Winter is what you need to worry about. It gets extremely cold during the winter here, and we get a lot of snow. The snowfall varies from year to year.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:05 AM

4 posts, read 47,012 times
Update on Karaoke in Lincoln, NE
Myk P. now has his own company, RockStar Karaoke.
He is now at Ramo's Pizza (48th & Normal) on Tues/Thurs/Sat, and at Lancaster's (40th and Old Cheney) on Sun.
Still giving away a pitcher and a pizza at Ramo's nightly, and you don't even have to sing, just be there.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:51 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Lincoln is also home to the University so it has things typical of a college town.... so depending on your age that could range from bars to arts to sports... Also home to the state capital so if you enjoy politics there are opportunities to be involved.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,402 times
I've also heard about an indoor kart track not far from where I used to live -- 70th and Old Cheney. As mentioned earlier, there are also many other things to do and places to visit that a college town provides. Nebraska is a much better place to live than Arizona despite its tornadoes and blizzards, which AZ does actually get. I made the mistake of moving to this hell hole, where the wildlife is better educated than its government and friendlier than its population twelve years ago. It's time to return Good luck!

Brad

LSE Class of '84 Go Knights!
Doane-Lincoln Class of '96 Go Tigers!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,478 times
there isnt that much to do in lincoln unless you get creative or LOVE sports. but here are some ideas.....
saltdog base ball
lincoln stars hockey
NE football
bar hopping
egal raceway is like 20mi
horse races in the summer
superior bingo
linoma beach/camping
july jam
rib fest
octeber fest
purging auditorium(conserts)
henery doiley zoo in oamha is prety cool too.
thats about it! and ther are no tornatos that hit lincoln because we are in a valley.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:56 PM

123 posts, read 408,910 times
Lincoln has an awesome disc golf course in Max Roper Park. It's a fun game to get into. I wouldn't say that there's much of anything to do in Lincoln. The previous poster is correct...get creative or love sports..that's it!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:54 PM

58 posts, read 166,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda88 View Post
purging auditorium(conserts)
While that post was laden with some pretty fantastic misspellings, this is by far my favorite! Made me "lol".

Pershing Center - Lincoln, NE in case anyone viewing this thread in the future can't find the "purging auditorium".

Old 12-27-2010, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 5,114 times
Years later, I am responding to this forum. I grew up in Lincoln and I now live in Omaha. My friends always ask me what they should do when they go to Lincoln and this is the list I give them. Hope this helps! - Kirstin Miller Fasbender

Things to do in Lincoln:
1. Nebraska State Capitol
The Capitol building is very unique. I am a little biased because my Grandma Norma Faden Melichar worked there and we would go visit her. I loved walking the halls with her and my mother. Make sure you take the time to take the tour. Pay attention to the murals and the statues. This building is the tallest state capitol building and houses the country's only unicameral legislature.
The Capitol was designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue and was the result of a nationwide design contest among not only Nebraska Architects, but included some of the most prominent architects of the day. Bertram Goodhue was a pioneeer of Moderne architecture, and included painters, mosaicists, and his chief sculptor to beautify the building. His chief architectural sculptor was Lee Lawrie, who worked with Goodhue on all of his buildings after they began working together in 1895 in Boston, and up until Goodhue died in 1924, four years after ground was broken for the building.
The building is 400 feet tall and has a statue created by Lawrie called the Sower. He stands 19 feet tall on top of a thirteen foot pedastal and faces northwest, where most of the land in the state lies.
Building hours
• Monday ‐ Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Saturday ⁄ Holidays: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Sunday: 1 to 5 p.m.
• Tours Available on the Hour
(Except at Noon)
• Open every day except Thanksgiving Day, the Friday after, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
Getting here
1445 K Street
We’re on K, between 14th and 16th Streets
Lincoln, Nebraska 68509–4696
hello@capitol.org • (402) 471–0448

2. Morrill Hall (University of Nebraska State Museum)

I always tell people to visit Morrill Hall. We use to visit on school field trips. The museum has the world's best collection of fossil mammoths. You have to see the Discovery Center. It's hands on activities allow students to have the full experience.

Monday-Saturday
Thursdays
Sundays 9:30 am-4:30 pm
9:30 am-8:00 pm
1:30 pm-4:30 pm

Morrill Hall closed on Easter, Independence Day, Thanksgiving,
December 24-25, and January 1.
Planetarium closed on the same days as Morrill Hall, also closed on Mondays and UNL home football Saturdays.

Admission: (price includes tax)
General Public Museum only Museum + Planetarium
Adults (19 and over) $5.00 $8.00
Children (5-18 yrs) $3.00 $5.50
Young Children (4 and under) FREE $2.50
Family (Up to 2 adults w/children) $10.00 add $3.00/adult, $2.50/child
UNL Students (with UNL ID) FREE $3.00
UNL Faculty/Staff
(and immediate family-with UNL ID) FREE $3.00

Parking
Museum visitor parking is available in front of Morrill Hall and in the parking garage west of Memorial Stadium. Downtown hotels and parking are within 10 minutes walking distance.
Museum parking map (pdf)
UNL Campus map
Detailed parking information

Directions to Morrill Hall
Morrill Hall is located just south of 14th and Vine Streets on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus. To reach Morrill Hall from Interstate 80 or Nebraska Highway 2, take 27th Street to Vine Street, then turn west on Vine Street.

3. Stay at the Atwood House
Stay at a B & B in Lincoln! My favorite is the Atwood House. Plus, you could walk to the capital from here.
Atwood House Bed & Breakfast
740 S 17th St, Lincoln, NE 68508
(402) 438-4567

Feedback/ Reviews:
User Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
by a Yahoo! Local User
12/22/2010
• Nice Hotel!!: It's a great hotel but if any of you are looking to save some $$ then book it at http://referer.us/9/SweetHotelDeals (broken link)

• Of all the B&B's we've stayed at to date, The Atwood House is the best yet. No other B&B we've stayed at had the foresight to offer a video library as well as a TV with video playback. Breakfast prepared by our host were works of art. If you prefer ordinary breakfast of cereal or scrambled eggs, than this is not for you. Breakfast earns high marks for presentation as well as taste.The interior decorating is awe inspiring. The staircase alone will take your breath away. And even the three bears would agree the bed is just right. And what big fluffy pillows! I could go on & on. I don't think we could locate a better B&B than The Atwood House. Thank you, Ruth & Larry.

4. Eat in the Haymarket
Go to the Haymarket on the east edge of downtown. There are a bunch of great restaurants there. I highly recommend Lazlo's.
Historic Haymarket
210 N 7th Street
Lincoln, NE 68508
Phone
Main: (402) 434-5636
Take Out: (402) 434-5637
Hours
Sunday - Thursday 11 – 10
Friday & Saturday 11 - 11

My favorite things to order at Lazlos are:
Appetizer:
Lazlo's Original Lahvosh: A sweet cracker bread topped with melted Havarti cheese, bake with any three toppings of choice: tomatoes, green peppers, mushrooms, bacon bits, turkey, ham, grilled chicken, artichoke hearts, or jalapenos. Additional toppings extra.
Entrée’:
Kiki’s Favorite: (I have tried and love all of their salads)
If I want a little more sustenance then I get their Albacore Tuna Melt: Homemade tuna salad, served open-faced on English muffin, with tomato and melted cheddar. I love love love their fries and I always ask for honey mustard to dip them in. They have the best honey mustard.
Chris’ Favorite:
Prime Rib: Rubbed with Lazlo’s special seasoning, slow-roasted for eight hours and served with au jus. Available daily after 5:00 p.m. in 8, 12 or 16 ounce portions.

Dessert:
Chocolate Excess: Triple fudge brownie, adorned with walnuts and shards of chocolate. Served warm with the finest French Vanilla ice cream, ribbons of hot fudge, and a splash of Kahlua.

Lazlo's Brewery & Grill (http://www.telesis-inc.com/lazlo/ - broken link)

If all else fails, take a look here:
http://www.lincoln.org/cvb/dining/dining.htm
Historic Haymarket | Food, Drinks and Fun (http://www.historichaymarket.com/food.html - broken link)
http://www.downtownlincoln.org/haymarket/index.asp (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska