Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 12:02 AM

2 posts, read 36,859 times

Advertisements

My hubby has an interview with a company that is hiring for Lincoln, NE. I am currently living in AZ. I was hoping to move some where with more things to do. What is there to do in Lincoln? Any lakes? Amusement parks? Oh and how often does Lincoln get tornados? Any info is helpful and if you think it sucks to live there please tell me so.
Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 03:35 PM

176 posts, read 929,427 times
Hey There! We used to live in Kingman, and I can tell you that anywhere is better than that hell-hole, ha ha! We're actually moving to the outskirts of Lincoln next month from WA state, and I've done quite a bit of research on Lincoln. There are a lot of race tracks if you like racing, there is some sort of waterslide park, and there appears to be a lot of museums and good shopping. I've also been told that the zoo in Omaha is rated #2 in the nation, and Omaha is only about an hour away from Lincoln. I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but Lincoln looks great to us and we're excited about the move! Good luck to ya.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 AM

4 posts, read 45,706 times
Smile Things to do in Lincoln

Hi, I just found this forum. I am from Nebraska originally, but has been many years. I have a niece that lives in Lincoln. I'm going to e-mail her and will post her reply. Sorry this is month late. Love it I found this site. Keeps me back in touch with Nebraska. Love that state. Now reside in yucky California.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:00 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,007 times
In Lincoln to do:
Semi pro baseball, Saltdogs home.

Children's Zoo in Lincoln itself. Henry Dorley Zoo in Omaha. There is also a drive thru zoo between Omaha & Lincoln off the interstate.

Lots of area lakes for boating. The list goes on and on.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:55 PM

13 posts, read 77,742 times
It really just depends on what you are into. Here are a few things:

Lincoln is really good if you dig non-professional sports. Semi-pro baseball team that is good, top college football/baseball teams. Lincoln also is a fairly good nightlife town during the school year. It is truly just a bigger than normal college town. The bars are very active from Thursday-Saturday. There are't a lot of "dance clubs" or typical clubs you might see in bigger cities if you are into that though.

There are also alot of good golf courses around here if you are into that. One of the cities with the most courses per capita in the nation. And they are relatively cheap too. People here complain, but i've lived in Vegas and compared to there, it's a dream here. Typical Vegas public course was around $75, and here in Lincoln its around $25.

Someone mentioned museums. Of course being near the university there are alot of good museums and artsy type things. The Haymarket is starting to become more lively, and is sort of a mini-version of the Old Market in Omaha, or the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego (though nowhere near as huge). But it sort of has that feel.

Anyway, overall its a good place to live. Clean, low traffic and small-town feel with some big city benefits.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:46 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,418 times
The closest amusement parks are in Des Moines, Adventureland and Kansas City, Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun. Both are about a 3 hour drive to go to. Adventureland is smaller and does not get the big crowds . Been to both and enjoyed them each time.

As for lakes you have several around Lincoln. It depends on what you want to do. Some lakes are restricted where you can only have electric motors. Others are big enough for you to have a sail boat on them.

No one has posted here about tornadoes. Well Nebraska has a prime season for tornadoes which is from mid April until August or September. We have had tornadoes in every month except for February. I think they go to Arizona during this time for the winter. Here is a web site that you can surf to see about Nebraska weather. There is a link on just tornadoes. Enjoy surfing and welcome to Nebraska.

Nebraska Weather and Climate

Old 07-10-2007, 01:36 PM

292 posts, read 933,793 times
Azchick,
I have two daughters living in Lincoln and THEY LOVE IT THERE! They are constantly doing things. The shopping is good! Like someone said earlier, it's got the feeling of a small town with big city benefits! The pay is fairly good too as far as the job market.
One thing I wanted to say to you. I met two women yesterday who just moved from Arizona to an even smaller city then where I live. (Neligh) They are in love with Nebraska! They said it has the feeling of walking into a story book. The old houses, the open spaces, the clean living and friendly people.
I like Lincoln and I may of thought of moving there too if my husband did not enjoy the smaller more rural areas. It is pretty good! Relaxing and more laid back! Friendly folk that allow you to be yourself!
Hope you find what it is your looking for!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:34 AM

300 posts, read 1,179,040 times
Kosnebbear put up a great link to the weather in Lincoln.
On that topic, tornadoes are VERY rare IN Lincoln. I'm only 21, but in that time there has never been a tornado in Lincoln. They come darn close though. In May 2004, a HUGE F4 came through Nebraska and pretty much destroyed quite a few towns. Hallam, a small town 20 miles south of Lincoln was totally DESTROYED.
You'll get tornado warnings, though this year we are lacking those. But most of the time the storm will just totally pass us by. Actually, almost everytime I see a big storm coming, I look on the weather channel. ( I LOVE storm watching) The storm seems to split in two and goes around either side of Lincoln and then comes back together.
HTH

Old 07-18-2007, 03:40 PM

482 posts, read 2,225,418 times
aerahrtlu,

That one tornado was only about 10 miles from where we live and each year since that one they are gettlng closer. In 2006 one came within about 1.5 miles of our home. Told my wife that they are getting closer and she hit me and told me to shut up.

If the tornado misses you then consider yourself lucky. Lincoln has been hit in the past and will most likely get hit again in the future as it continues to grow which just makes it a bigger target. I just hope that we never have one like the one I was in in 1980 in Grand Island now that was a very nasty storm that made 7 or 8 tornadoes over Grand Island in one night. I was again less than one mile from the first one and was amazed to see the cloud just shuck into the tornado that night. I will never forget that.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:02 PM

4 posts, read 47,012 times
Thumbs up Things to do in Lincoln

I just found this forum, but for an answer on what to do in Lincoln, KARAOKE!!

Tuesday and Wednesday nights are really fun at Ramo's Pizza at 48th & Normal.

Wednesdays at Top Hat, NW 8th and Cornhusker Hwy.

And Sundays at Lancaster's, 40th and Old Cheney Rd.

The best karaoke host is Myk P. He is really funny and the rotation is fair, plus he gives away drinks and food at most of his shows.

I'm Gee. Come out and sing and say hi to me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska