U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 04:59 PM

123 posts, read 372,209 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, small town hospitality got the best of ya? Move to a bigger town, that's my suggestion to you. Try a town of 20,000 + people. I grew up in Holdrege and the kids were absolutely malicious towards each other growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 PM

736 posts, read 1,715,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post

Yes there are. How do you think those of us who live out here pay our bills??

(Not to mention, the OP is looking at Ainsworth, Valentine and Gothenburg. All of those are pretty much smack dab in central Nebraska)

River raft rides?

I think you mean "UP".

Old 10-20-2010, 10:38 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,558,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
River raft rides?

I think you mean "UP".
Up?
Do you have any idea where Gothenburg IS?

So far as river raft rides...

Old 10-21-2010, 08:24 PM

Gothenburg.......is that where Buffalo Bill Cody married Annie Oakley? or was it Pocahontas?

Seriously there are no good paying jobs in the panhandle. Unless you own a large ranch, feed lot, or a large farm. The railroad jobs are few and far between. Healthcare jobs are few and far between also. People are paid much lower that what they can make in a bigger city for the same job.

I have a freind that works at one of the larger feed lots, he is a manager and puts in about 60-70 hours a week of back breaking work. Pushing cattle, driving all types of heavy machinery, minor vet care, welding, and even repair work. All for 12.00 an hour and he is so happy to get that. But he wants to live in a small town. He will be dead before the age of 55.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:42 PM

39 posts, read 101,944 times
I want to be able to make a living, I want to be able to have less of the small town attitudes and gossip...However, I do not want my kids in large schools! this is really the main purpose of a small town. I want my children in a smaller school so they are known by name not by number (not that all big schools are that way) its just my personal preference. I work at a daycare making $8.30 an hour and barely have enough to cover it all. I need a better job and a better environment for my family. I just don't know where to go, where to work, or whats going to be the best for the kids.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
Seriously there are no good paying jobs in the panhandle. Unless you own a large ranch, feed lot, or a large farm. The railroad jobs are few and far between. Healthcare jobs are few and far between also. People are paid much lower that what they can make in a bigger city for the same job.
Sure.
And the same is true of jobs in Omahanlincoln vs Chicago, LA or New York.
Cost of living is also lower out here than it is back east.

Quote:
I have a freind that works at one of the larger feed lots, he is a manager and puts in about 60-70 hours a week of back breaking work. Pushing cattle, driving all types of heavy machinery, minor vet care, welding, and even repair work. All for 12.00 an hour and he is so happy to get that. But he wants to live in a small town. He will be dead before the age of 55.
Not likely.
That's a fairly standard job description (though the pay a smidge on the low end).
But people in this part of the world, doing that type of job, actually tend to live LONGER.

Look it up.
Researching that statistic will tell you WHY. It'll also tell you why your friend has made the choice he has.
My husband and I have made the exact same one.
(BTW, my husband is doing the same job your friend is, but having had the "joy" of managing a couple of large ranches, he's thrilled to be just a peon at the feedlot.)

Old 10-27-2010, 05:47 PM

36 posts, read 127,092 times
Hey have ya tried a little more west of Goth , say North Platte? I love it here. Its just the right size, and yes there are jobs to be had as well.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:47 PM

ure.
And the same is true of jobs in Omahanlincoln vs Chicago, LA or New York.
Cost of living is also lower out here than it is back east.

I have to disagree, about the jobs. There is not many good paying jobs in the sandhill area. When I say good paying jobs I mean $35,000.00 to $75,000.00 a year.. You would have better chance at it in Omaha or Lincoln.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 AM

My point was you're comparing apples and oranges.
You're right. There aren't many jobs in the $35-75K area. And those that are are usually in the major employers: healthcare, education and the rail road.

My point was that comparing the Sandhills to Omahanlincoln is like comparing Omahanlincoln to Chicago, LA or New York.

We don't pay near the housing costs out here that they do in the cities, either...
We are indeed, on a whole, poorer than folks further east.
We also tend to be happier and less stressed. (have you researched any statistics, yet? If you had, you wouldn't still be banging this drum. )

Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 PM

13 posts, read 35,851 times
Default i live in valentine

I am trying to get out of Valentine...because for me it is too small..and far away from everything. It is ok to live here if you have a husband, or are young ,,or have a business...but if you are single and middle aged not too much for you. The schools are ok...It can be a very clicky little town though..so good luck...oh..i will tell you when i first got here..there are not very many places to rent here...was hard to find something big enough...most houses are for sale not for rent...was a big problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska