Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:15 PM

102 posts, read 179,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
This is like asking "Why is education important?"

The question is entirely too large for me to even begin to explain to someone who obviously doesn't have even the basics of understanding the issue...

Or because you don't have logical reasoning to justify your feelings on the issue.

People migrate toward jobs, it's cyclical. If these small towns cannot provide jobs, it's probably best that they don't house significant populations, anyway. Certainly not the end of the world...

And if you do decide to answer the question, feel free to leave out the emotional and subjective reasonings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 12:23 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
What needs to happen is for the state to do a few things to stagnate/increase rural populations:

1) Consolidate counties across the state to no less of the size of Custer or Lincoln counties (exception to metropolitan or near metropolitan counties). Consolidation will alleviate excess spending.
Excellent idea. I've heard it floated before and thought it was a good idea, then, too.
I think it would have a VERY difficult time getting passed, though...

Quote:
2) Online schooling as an option.
Good idea in theory, however this would require one parent to be at home during the school (work) day, at least at the younger ages...
Quote:
3) Designate the county seat in each non-metropolitan county as a tax break center for new businesses and a break for residential property taxes.
Maybe... This just seems like a good way to hasten the demise of the more outlying communities, though.
Quote:
4) Start pushing for tourism in north-central, northwest and the panhandle of Nebraska. It's absurd how the great landscapes are virtually unknown outside the state, it's simply one of the nicest areas in the country.
Again, an excellent suggestion. But tourism is a seasonal enterprise and one of the first to collapse in a bad economy...

Quote:
Things to be lost:
a) School consolidations will cause a few lost jobs, but the impact may be minimized with the right accomidations and timeframe allotted.
b) local government job consolidation will also cause a few lost jobs which may be minimized with the right accomidations and timeframe allotted.

This should lower the per capita costs in the rural areas enough to offset the tax breaks to a degree. With further government tax breaks and maybe a slight increase to the metropolitan counties this could work.
For right or for wrong, something to bear in mind is that schools tend to be one of the largest employers in the extremely rural counties. County jobs are similarly valuable...

I agree. Complete restructuring is probably something that is going to have to happen. However, I'm seeing it as a very painful "solution."

Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBobSnakePants View Post
If these small towns cannot provide jobs, it's probably best that they don't house significant populations, anyway. Certainly not the end of the world...
Small towns are the backbone of rural counties. And rural counties feed this country, and for that matter, this planet.

Where do you think your groceries come from, anyway??

Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Small towns are the backbone of rural counties. And rural counties feed this country, and for that matter, this planet.

Where do you think your groceries come from, anyway??
Look, you don't have to get all condescending. We can have a civilized conversation without all of that.

The farms are not going to die. In fact, farms may become fewer, but larger and, in turn, less rely upon our government for subsidies.

You see, the farms will be fine. They will be business as usual, become ever more efficient, and therefore need less manpower. It's everything else. Jobs are dying or leaving, so wouldn't it onyl stand to reason that this population migrate more toward population centers?

You can't just force micro-economies at thousands of rural locations across the US. (and you still haven't answered my question)

Old 12-22-2010, 12:52 PM

You neither have any idea what you're talking about, nor are you interested in learning.

And I'm not being "condescending."
I'm being "annoyed."

If you're interested, start doing some research. There are reams of it out there on the 'net.
If you're not, quit wasting my time.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
You neither have any idea what you're talking about, nor are you interested in learning.

And I'm not being "condescending."
I'm being "annoyed."

If you're interested, start doing some research. There are reams of it out there on the 'net.
If you're not, quit wasting my time.
You're kidding me, right? If there's a demand for a good or service, there will be someone(s) making/performing that good or service.

I have no idea what in the hell you're even trying to argue. You say that there will be all of these negative consequences to our state because of a declining rural population, yet you can't even explain to those of us "uniformed", as you would put it, what those consequences are!

And no, I'm not necessarily interested, I just think you're working with nothing here. Sorry to annoy you, next time I will be sure not to ask you to qualify any of your statements and just let you do your thing.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what in the hell you're even trying to argue.
I'm well aware of that.

I repeat: If you're truly interested in the wide reaching effects of rural out-migration, do some research.
Google is your friend.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:21 PM

Anytime I am asked to qualify a statement of my own, I will start referring that person to Google. =)

In fact, I am expecting my boss to come to my office sometime today and ask if my proposal is finished. "I don't know, sir, check Google."

Old 12-22-2010, 01:24 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times
Nebraska economic growth is outstanding now
So I think this state will have a much stronger growth this decade !

Old 12-22-2010, 03:32 PM

Let's try this again.

Bob, reread your first post in this thread.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, yet you ventured an opinion nonetheless. I am not interested in arguing the validity of your opinions until you understand what you're talking about.

The far-reaching effects of rural out-migration are not a simple yes or no (ala your reply to your boss. )
People write doctoral dissertations on this stuff.
It's like poverty. It's a complex problem with an enormous scope, numerous causes, many direct and indirect effects and few solutions.
And it is devastating.

I realize you don't understand that.

SO DO SOME RESEARCH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: