Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:00 PM

212 posts, read 898,310 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to see what everyone likes and dislikes about Lincoln. I have lived here my whole life, and I think Lincoln just isn't the place for me.
I will also share what I like/dislike about Lincoln.
1. Not too small or too big, as far as the population.
2. A lot of friendly people.
3. The crime is low for a city this size, and is restricted to certain areas rather than widespread.
4. Living here isn't very expensive, with the exception of property taxes!
5. I really like Spring and Summer here.
dislikes:
1. Winter is just too long, too cold, and too snowy!
2. Sometimes it just seems like there isn't much to do.
3. Lincoln doesn't have a river, or any large body of water.
I love to look at water, and I love fish and seafood.
I like Lincoln, but sometimes I wish it was more like Kansas City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 22,774 times
Like about Nebraska:
It's close to Colorado

Dislike about Nebraska (Hastings in particular):
Excessively high property taxes, we've lived lots of places with the military and this is the highest we've ever paid, even in major cities.
No school transportation. Parents have to drop off / pick up their kids each day and there is no parking around the schools.
New middle school built on the other side of town, transporation voted down by school board. How is my 6th grader supposed to ride her bike 7 miles to school over major highways and roads?
High % of people dependent on welfare... generations living on it with no desire to get off of it. Small percentage work hard to get off welfare.
High crime rate, courts will do nothing to juvenille offenders. We sat in as a victim witness with 23 other vicitim witnesses for one kid, after he'd stolen cars, broke into houses, stolen property, and the judge said "next time, I'll blah blah blah blah blah" and that was about the fifth time he said that. So, the kids gets away scott free and goes out two days later and steals another car ~ has more charges pending for computer theft and distruction from the school. What do you bet they still dont do a thing to him?
Drugs...... meth is HUGE here and it should be an issue. People that think it is not an issue dont have to work with the people that are apt to use the drugs. I operate a home daycare because there are not jobs here in my career field. You would not believe the people that have some for interviews.... as a FACT, those that are on welfare that have interviewed, 9 out of 10 of them have felony convictions and have used meth or are still using meth.... I dont take their kids in my daycare.
No jobs... you're out of luck if you did not grow up here for have connections. It's not much better in Grand Island, either. But, who can work? You gotta be around to drop off and pick up your kids from school.

Need I go on? Hastings sucks! Stay away.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,651,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillinginNE View Post

How does this have anything to do with Lincoln.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillinginNE View Post
Like about Nebraska:
It's close to Colorado

Dislike about Nebraska (Hastings in particular):
Excessively high property taxes, we've lived lots of places with the military and this is the highest we've ever paid, even in major cities.
No school transportation. Parents have to drop off / pick up their kids each day and there is no parking around the schools.
New middle school built on the other side of town, transporation voted down by school board. How is my 6th grader supposed to ride her bike 7 miles to school over major highways and roads?
High % of people dependent on welfare... generations living on it with no desire to get off of it. Small percentage work hard to get off welfare.
High crime rate, courts will do nothing to juvenille offenders. We sat in as a victim witness with 23 other vicitim witnesses for one kid, after he'd stolen cars, broke into houses, stolen property, and the judge said "next time, I'll blah blah blah blah blah" and that was about the fifth time he said that. So, the kids gets away scott free and goes out two days later and steals another car ~ has more charges pending for computer theft and distruction from the school. What do you bet they still dont do a thing to him?
Drugs...... meth is HUGE here and it should be an issue. People that think it is not an issue dont have to work with the people that are apt to use the drugs. I operate a home daycare because there are not jobs here in my career field. You would not believe the people that have some for interviews.... as a FACT, those that are on welfare that have interviewed, 9 out of 10 of them have felony convictions and have used meth or are still using meth.... I dont take their kids in my daycare.
No jobs... you're out of luck if you did not grow up here for have connections. It's not much better in Grand Island, either. But, who can work? You gotta be around to drop off and pick up your kids from school.

Wow. I thought I didn't like Nebraska, but you seem to dislike it even more than I do. Are you not from Nebraska originally?

Old 08-07-2008, 09:48 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,129,772 times
The one main thing I dislike about Lincoln is the roads. To me it is so much easier to drive around in Omaha than Lincoln. Other than that, no real beef with Lincoln.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,997,150 times
Unwilling,

That was nothing more than a rambling rant. A rant that had NOTHING to do with Lincoln. It actually doesn't even have that much to do with Hastings or Nebraska. Rather, it has to do with you complaining about your life. Who cares that you have to take your kid to school...guess what...so do I! Its called being a parent.

Its also very moral of you to refuse children daycare services based on the crimes of their parents! My god...how callous and judgmental. Did it ever occur to you that if what you say is true then the best thing for those kids is to be in day care away from their parents. However, based on the tone of your post I really doubt that 9 out 10 welfare recipients you encounter have felonies AND are meth. Rather, its probably a handful and you simply bunch all welfare recipients into one big stereotypical ball.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
The one main thing I dislike about Lincoln is the roads. To me it is so much easier to drive around in Omaha than Lincoln. Other than that, no real beef with Lincoln.

Ha Ha! That's funny that you said you don't have beef with Lincoln, since Nebraska makes so much beef.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:57 PM

4 posts, read 22,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
How does this have anything to do with Lincoln.
It doesnt. My bad. But I still feel that way about Hastings. Lincoln has much more to offer than Hastings.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:28 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,206,495 times
Um yeah.

Back on topic:

I have very little that I either like OR dislike about Lincoln. I've been there a grand total of about 7 times in my life. However that does surpass my trips to Omaha. lol

(Lifetime Nebraskan, btw)

Unwilling, start a new thread about Hastings. You might find other opinions similar to your own and you mind find folks that disagree with you. You obviously have something to say, but it doesn't belong in a thread about Lincoln.

Last edited by itsMeFred; 08-08-2008 at 05:47 PM..

Old 08-09-2008, 03:59 AM

300 posts, read 1,174,463 times
The good:
*Lincoln always amazings me when I remember how many people actually live here. It never, atleast to me, seems like 250,000 people live here. Except maybe at rush hour.
*Decently cheap housing. Even my husband and I can find a starter house within our price range.
*FOOTBALL! Need I say more? Hehe
*(This is personal) But all my family and friends live around here.
*The school system could be better, but it's decently strong.
*Crime isn't the bad here compared to other places.

And the bad:
*As a teenager it seemed boring. I, of course, could have been looking in the wrong places. I always felt like there could have been more activities aimed at teenagers. It seemed like too much of a "college" town and not young teen friendly enough.
*The potholes.... ick.
*It's not that progressive. Though, this also could maybe be a small good thing.
*With such a high college age population, some jobs are hard to get.

That's all I can think of... Of course there are more, on both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska