Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:07 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are planning on doing a 6-day trip from La Vista to western Nebraska to check out Toadstool and some of the other sights. We're both pretty excited, we've always wanted to do a trip like this. We plan to take the Interstate to Highway 2 and eventually down to Lake McConaughy, where we'll stay the night. From there, we'll spend a couple of days in the Panhandle and checking out Toad Stool. On the way back, we plan to take the highways back in the northern part of the state (highway 20 and 12).

I was hoping you guys could provide some advice on what to see, what not to see. Also, I'm wondering if you know of any good restaraunts/hotels/bed and breakfasts along the way (we're both fairly picky eaters). Thanks for all of your help!

Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 05:20 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
We plan to take the Interstate to Highway 2 and eventually down to Lake McConaughy, where we'll stay the night. From there, we'll spend a couple of days in the Panhandle and checking out Toad Stool. On the way back, we plan to take the highways back in the northern part of the state (highway 20 and 12).

I was hoping you guys could provide some advice on what to see, what not to see. Also, I'm wondering if you know of any good restaraunts/hotels/bed and breakfasts along the way (we're both fairly picky eaters). Thanks for all of your help!

Patrick
You picked a good drive by factoring in Highway 2 and a great idea to stay off the Interstate (it just stays in the river valley the entire time so is boring and gives a bad impression of the state).

I don't have the time at this second but will think more about your route and maybe some places to see/stay/eat.

When is the trip?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
(highway 20 and 12).
fyi... on the way out to Highway 2, do NOT drive the interstate... take Highway 92...

For Highway 2 check out this site for local events that might be happening and for the communities: Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway

Highway 385 look at: Visit Nebraska - 385 – Gold Rush Byway (http://www.visitnebraska.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=197&Item id=303 - broken link)

Highway 20 - if you have time canoe the Niobrara... there are 1/2 day trips with area outfitters... nothing like it for scenary!
For the Sandhills area around Hgwy 20 look thru: Visit Nebraska - Advanced Search Results (http://www.visitnebraska.org/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=advsearch2&search_ id=8196&Itemid=26 - broken link)

For Highway 12 check out this link: map of Nebraska's Outlaw Trail, scenic byway Hwy 12 (http://www.nebraskaoutlawtrail.org/map.htm - broken link)

Again, South side of the state Hgwy 92 to Hgwy 2 then North on 285 to Toadstool area then back home on 20/12... you couldn't pick a better trip in the state.

How much time are you allowing?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
How much time are you allowing?

OOPS... Sorry, that was a stupid question (since you answered it in your opening question)...

Quote:
My girlfriend and I are planning on doing a 6-day
6 days is a nice time to allow. When is it?

Old 08-01-2007, 06:27 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
Default Thanks

We're leaving on 8/30 and plan to start making our way back on 9/3 or 9/4. Normally, we head to California or Vegas but we wanted to do something a bit different. Plus, it's pretty bad that I've seen most of Iowa and very little of Nebraska other than Omaha, Lincoln, Fremont and some of the surrounding towns.

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:08 PM

You will not regret it. You will experience a wide variety of geography. A lot of great little towns. Great people. Enjoy.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:23 PM

16 posts, read 103,085 times
We live out here (by Scottsbluff) and you won't want to miss Cabela's (Sidney), Scotts Bluff National Monument (Scottsbluff), Carhenge (Alliance) and Fort Robinson (Chadron/Crawford). As far as places to stay, the best lodging in Scottsbluff is the Hampton Inn & Suites if you can afford it and can get in. They are extremely busy so I'd check as soon as I could. The others aren't bad, but I'd avoid the Days Inn at all costs. Its cheap - but you get what you pay for.

Check out the visitnebraska.org website if you want a lot more information.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:52 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
If you have time you should definitely do Niobrara and the Sandhills in north central Nebraska. As I Dave mentioned, definitely take 92 instead of the interstate on your way to HWY 2...distance is the same and you see much more.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper87 View Post
We live out here (by Scottsbluff) and you won't want to miss Cabela's (Sidney),

fyi... if you are a huge sportsman/outdoorsman then yes, do Cabela's - the meca of Cabela's is Sidney... but if you are just a casual sportsman (or not at all) then skip Cabela's if it is too far out of the way. With the new Cabela's that you have down the street in LaVista you can get the same general idea (you just miss the experience of bigger and being at the main headquarters)

Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 AM

482 posts, read 2,226,242 times
Why take I-80 when you can take NE Hwy 92 to NE Hwy 2 and see more of Nebraska. You can always travel I-80. So if you want to see Nebraska stay off of I-80. You will like the drive through the nort cental part of Nebraska and then you could come back in the southern part of Nebraska either on US Hwy 6 that goes into Lincoln or take US Hwy 136 that goes to Auburn then go north to Omaha. Either way enjoy your trip and enjoy Nebraska by staying off I-80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska