Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 PM

696 posts, read 1,725,895 times

Advertisements

The river valley along the interstate can be great also.
But only for about 30-60 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 10:08 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I80 is how you're going to "see" Nebraska?

*sigh*
The only ugly part of the state is right there along the interstate.

True!

There is nothing boring about the Sandhills, Nebraska, or Highway 20 for that matter. Lots of nifty little towns with really incredible restaurants, lots of friendly nice people, no one rushing to get anywhere (unless there's a storm comin', and then folks are headed home to make sure everything and all the critters are safe).

The Interstate especially in the summer is long, hot and boring. You won't see Carhenge The official website for Carhenge from the Interstate, or Lake McConaughy Lake McConaughy, or Merritt Reservoir Nebraska Game and Parks Commission - NEBRASKAland Magazine from the Interstate. You will see feedlots and windmills and lots and lots of flat farmland, and you'll think that Nebraska has nothing to recommend it at all. And you'd be just as wrong as the seven blind men who each held a part of the elephant and tried to describe it. Interstates are made for people to get to and from, not to enjoy the trip. (Actually they were built during the Eisenhower era for large military planes to land on in exiegency during the Cold War, but that's another story...)

Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 AM

350 posts, read 740,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post

True!

There is nothing boring about the Sandhills, Nebraska, or Highway 20 for that matter. Lots of nifty little towns with really incredible restaurants, lots of friendly nice people, no one rushing to get anywhere (unless there's a storm comin', and then folks are headed home to make sure everything and all the critters are safe).

The Interstate especially in the summer is long, hot and boring. You won't see Carhenge The official website for Carhenge from the Interstate, or Lake McConaughy Lake McConaughy, or Merritt Reservoir Nebraska Game and Parks Commission - NEBRASKAland Magazine from the Interstate. You will see feedlots and windmills and lots and lots of flat farmland, and you'll think that Nebraska has nothing to recommend it at all. And you'd be just as wrong as the seven blind men who each held a part of the elephant and tried to describe it. Interstates are made for people to get to and from, not to enjoy the trip. (Actually they were built during the Eisenhower era for large military planes to land on in exiegency during the Cold War, but that's another story...)
I honestly don't know why people HATE the interstate. I guess maybe I like it better because I live closer to it and you can drive 80 mph on it and just set the cruise control and veg out. I actually like it with the cottonwood trees and looking out at fields and cattle and catching glimpses of the Platte - I guess it looks the same pretty much from Grand Island to North Platte but the same people who complain would probably like it even less if it was all cornfields and center pivots like it is from mile 314 (S Locust St in Grand Island) to Mile 388 or so (Crete/outskirts of Lincoln). The South is mostly pine trees from Rocky Mount, NC to South Georgia to Jackson, MS to Memphis! The Mid Atlantic/New England is mostly the same deciduous trees from Delaware/Maryland on up through Massachusetts. Other than driving through the Rocky Mountains or transitioning between two zones or areas or driving along palm trees as in Florida which could get boring too, there are a lot of places that look the same after 30-60 minutes! So what is wrong with the Platte River Valley?! The road shoulder is huge, its an easy drive, the speed limit is 75 mph and there are places to stop and eat and relax (what could be a better roadtrip stop than a night at the Holiday Inn in Kearney with the waterslides and myriad restaurants?) I could think of worse places to stop for the night along side interstates across the nation.

Try driving I-80 through Iowa, Illinois, Indiana - while I don't dislike it it looks a lot different than when it goes through Nebraska - Nebraska is more wide open until you get to the Platte which because you are next to the river has a lot more trees - at least the Platte River Valley looks different than what is East of it - it starts to look more Western. I also don't like leaving the trees behind so when you get out to the Western part of the state or the High Plains of Eastern Colorado I'm not as big a fan, just a little too desolate for my tastes although cool to travel through.

Besides in Nebraska you are already almost there! "There" being if you are going to the Rocky Mountains or Black Hills. Indiana, Ohio, Illinois you can't say the same you are still another 800-1500 miles away from your destination!

Old 05-12-2011, 04:44 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
SCentralNEGuy, I'm just a lil ole country gal, and the interstate to me just gets me where I'm going - QUICK. If I don't have to be quick, I like to scout around and explore. My kids used to say, "Mom doesn't get lost, she has adventures!"

I lived next to I-95 for 20 years, and that was pure-D-Heck. Of course being an EMT I ran a LOT of trauma calls on the Interstate, which was another reason I hated it - I could be out in my yard and hear a BANG! - and I'd just go inside and put on my gear, 'cause I knew I was going to go to work!

Old 05-12-2011, 06:15 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
I know it sounds corny but I remember visiting a relative of mine who was stationed at Offut/SAC and we went to the Nebraska State Fair in Lincoln. The drive from Omaha to Lincoln was incredible just seeing the beautiful rows of corn and wheat alongside the highway. Nebraska is a beautiful state.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:30 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I know it sounds corny but I remember visiting a relative of mine who was stationed at Offut/SAC and we went to the Nebraska State Fair in Lincoln. The drive from Omaha to Lincoln was incredible just seeing the beautiful rows of corn and wheat alongside the highway. Nebraska is a beautiful state.
Hehe "Corny" I get it. Actually the stretch of I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln is amazing. Follows the river some great hills and trees. Nebraska is not near as boring as many in this country assume!

Old 05-13-2011, 02:32 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Quote:
I could think of worse places to stop for the night along side interstates across the nation.
I guess I wasn't comparing it to other interstates but rather to other highways within OUR state.
Highway 2 is a neat highway. So is highway 20.
Both of them show the diversity of Nebraska. You go from the rolling hills of eastern Nebraska farm country, to the Sandhills and cattle country and further west to the high bluffs and pines of the Pine Ridge or the monument rocks. You can see the shift from the tall grass prairie to the short grass...
The towns that are making it and those that didn't...

However this statement: what could be a better roadtrip stop than a night at the Holiday Inn in Kearney with the waterslides and myriad restaurants
Makes me think you have a MUCH different idea of "seeing the sights" than I do.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:36 PM

326 posts, read 871,643 times
If you want a boring drive, I recommend I-55 through central Illinois. Blows I-80 in NE right out of the water

Old 05-13-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
SCentralNEGuy, I'm just a lil ole country gal, and the interstate to me just gets me where I'm going - QUICK. If I don't have to be quick, I like to scout around and explore. My kids used to say, "Mom doesn't get lost, she has adventures!"

I lived next to I-95 for 20 years, and that was pure-D-Heck. Of course being an EMT I ran a LOT of trauma calls on the Interstate, which was another reason I hated it - I could be out in my yard and hear a BANG! - and I'd just go inside and put on my gear, 'cause I knew I was going to go to work!
I like to explore too but if you routinely go somewhere three or four hundred miles away like Denver I prefer the fastest and most efficient route. You can take the back highways which are nice sometimes (and the only way I would take if there was a big snow/ice storm up on I-80 - I don't trust drivers on the interstate in snowstorms there are a lot of out-of-staters who pass through Nebraska in the winter and don't know how to drive!) but then other times it gets annoying slowing down and stopping every 5-10 miles for a town and having to watch your speed whereas on the interstate I can just set my cruise control and go. There are some areas in the state where it is much faster to go via interstate example Kearney - Lincoln or Kearney - Omaha or Kearney - North Platte so I always take it then. I don't like 95 either particularly in SC in the summer - extremely busy even more so than I-80.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
However this statement: what could be a better roadtrip stop than a night at the Holiday Inn in Kearney with the waterslides and myriad restaurants
Makes me think you have a MUCH different idea of "seeing the sights" than I do.
I will agree that some back routes are really nice particularly if you have the time. We have a huge state with a lot of variety between different areas and places seldom traveled that many people never even see! Glad to not be a tourist destination!

I guess what I meant more is that a family from say Crystal Lake, Illinois (seems all the summer traffic is from the Chicago area, Iowa, and Colorado) would have a nice time on their family trip stopping at the Holiday Inn in Kearney. If I go on a cross country drive as I have family across the nation and take the interstate I usually like a night stop with a bunch of restaurants and hotels for convenience and price competition.

If you are on a real vacation, vacation that includes savoring the drive to get there then I agree about stopping in small towns with motels, renting a log cabin, going and seeking things out that are truely different. Granny this is more up your way but I really want to go check out Halsey this summer and found a really cool motel just outside of it - Halsey Frontier Inn (they even have log cabins for rent!) Home Page

Then you can always check out the different steakhouses or family restaurants its always interesting to see what they have from place to place!

Unfortunately most of my travel is limited to 2 day weekends only, thus I'm usually in a rush and usually take the interstate so maybe that colors my opinion on things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska