Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:41 AM

36 posts, read 122,668 times

Advertisements

Doing a roadtrip along I-80 next week and was curious what's of note in the state near that area? Won't be hanging out too much, just curious if there's any can't miss type attractions, restaurants, etc. anywhere along 80 that I should make a point to stop for.

Also, if you've been anywhere else along 80 and have any suggestions I'll be driving along the entire length of the highway and we'll be looking for neat things to take a break and see.
(more details here: The Transition: I-80 » Big Apple or Bust)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:42 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,580 times
The Great Platte Valley River Road Archway in Kearney. You'll drive right under it on I80 -- it's a museum that straddles the interstate and you get through it pretty quickly. If you have more time you can hit Pioneer Village in Minden. It's been there forever; just a few miles down the road from Kearney but it will take a lot longer to see everything.

I80 also takes you by Lincoln and Omaha, which are filled with great attractions like SAC Air Force Base, The Henry Doorly Zoo and Morrill Hall. If you're just passing through, these might take more time to experience than you have time for.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 AM

696 posts, read 1,726,465 times
You are going to miss so much of the real America traveling on the interstate.

The trip I want to take some day is coast to coast via HWY 20.

Last fall I did east to west HWY 20. South Sioux City NE to the border just passed
Harrison NE to the Wyoming border.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:19 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
I've been from the border of Ca. through Nebraska on 80 quite a few times. Most of the drive on 80 through Ne. feels long and boring to me. The arch is interesting and our favorite place, if you like that sort of thing, is the Military Museum in Lexington Ne. Here Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles - Lexington, Nebraska

Last edited by misplaced1; 05-03-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM

696 posts, read 1,726,465 times
It really depends on what you think is exciting or not.

Interstate 80 in Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-03-2011, 07:09 PM

350 posts, read 740,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I've been from the border of Ca. through Nebraska on 80 quite a few times. Most of the drive on 80 through Ne. feels long and boring to me. The arch is interesting and our favorite place, if you like that sort of thing, is the Military Museum in Lexington Ne. Here Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles - Lexington, Nebraska
Really? The only part of Nebraska that is a little bit more boring is between exits 312 - 396 because its all cornfields but even then you can see far in the distance, red cedar trees, overpasses and then I guess Omaha area because its all urban. Mile 102 and west past Ogallala/I-76 split off has a lot less trees but with the big rolling hills feels almost like a lunar landscape. I think the Platte River Valley is beautiful with all the cottonwoods and western feeling landscape. I think its fascinating to travel through an area with so much history and love the Stuhr Museum, Pioneer Village, the Arch, and if you go further west you have the Pony Express Station, Fort Cody Trading Post, historic Ogallala and the impressive Lake McConaughy. I think people hate Nebraska because it is in the middle of their journey - 1400 miles from both coasts, they are exhausted because they have been driving two days and still feel like they have such a long way to go, and they feel like its a long state (it is 450 miles long but most people do not travel it that way most people go only 350 miles because they get off at Big Springs to go south on I-76 into Colorado). Compare driving through Colorado or Utah it could take a lot longer than that. Kansas has a lot less scenery on I-70, other than the Badlands I-90 is more barren. Going through the rest of the Midwest is mostly just farmland, Nebraska is really where the West Begins and the landscape changes a lot from East to West.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:39 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
This quotation from Charles Kuralt pretty much sums up the US Interstate system:

Quote:
Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything.
I far prefer taking US Hwy 30 across Nebraska--it is slower, but you get to see the "real America" in Nebraska: nice small towns, farms, etc. As far as specific attractions, I would check out the Golden Spike Tower & Visitors Center in North Platte. Golden Spike Tower & Visitor Center - Home

Old 05-05-2011, 05:13 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
This quotation from Charles Kuralt pretty much sums up the US Interstate system:

I far prefer taking US Hwy 30 across Nebraska--it is slower, but you get to see the "real America" in Nebraska: nice small towns, farms, etc. As far as specific attractions, I would check out the Golden Spike Tower & Visitors Center in North Platte. Golden Spike Tower & Visitor Center - Home
While I understand that most people have to get from point a to point b in x amount of time, thankfully I take my time on roads like Jazzlover suggests. And I'm quite familiar with highway 30 as it hugs next to the interstate from the Wyoming border all the way to Grand Island. I have friends who live in the Omaha-Council Bluffs area and I frequently take that route. I'll stop in at the Hastings CD and Video stores in Kearney and Grand Island and pick up road tunes there. Both stores are only a few minutes off the highway as 30 rolls right through the middle of both towns. Then hit an indoor flea market or two down the road a ways from there, then stay at a mom and pop motel that has a built in restaurant and lounge. Don't know if a trip is in the works this year as a couple of medical procedures will take a chunk out of my wallet.

What else is in Nebraska? Lots of friendly folks. Mom and pop restaurants that beat the chain restaurants hands down. If I wasn't nailed down to the area I live in, I would have no qualms living in central or western Nebraska. None at all.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:58 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Monowi.

Population: 1

Elsie Eiler, The Lone Resident of Monowi Town in Nebraska | Batangas Today | Breaking News, World News And More News

Old 05-09-2011, 08:03 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
I80 is how you're going to "see" Nebraska?

*sigh*
The only ugly part of the state is right there along the interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska