U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 05:38 PM

610 posts, read 2,834,650 times

Advertisements

What is the job market like in NE, especially in the bigger cities like Lincoln, Omaha, GI, etc?

Is it "easy" to find a job there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:52 AM

45 posts, read 100,138 times
I posted recently about moving to florida:
Anyone ever moved to Florida

According to this yes it is. However that thread is full of trolls and I am shocked they havent jumped on this. Now that I am here, this will get full of them shortly.

I've lived in Nebraska most of my life. Finding a decent professional job can be hard. Lots of "good old boy" stuff going on and its hard to break into things. However, once you get "in" you can be good. However, mess up once and better pack it up.

If you start at the bare bottom, near min wage even with a degree, you can build up but thats about the only way unless you have lot and lots of experience.

Also keep in mind North Platte is not the same as omaha, which are not the same as kearney. I am just speaking in general.

Oh if yoiu a decent looking womoan that will help greatly too.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 AM

696 posts, read 1,561,525 times
You didn't say what kind of job you were looking for.
Omaha is big on teleservices, banking and insurance.

What I think skydve76 is really saying is that you have to get along with your coworkers/boss to get and keep a job. This would make you a "good old boy".

Having a bad attitude (cough cough) will limit job opportunities.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:27 AM

45 posts, read 100,138 times
Uhm I've always kept my jobs and started out at the bottom. I started at min wage out of college and I make enought to pay my 200k house and my wife stays home with the kids.

"good ol' boy" means you get a job you aren't qualified for just because you know someone, or what you look like. Then you rely on others to do your job for you.

Theres a lot of that going on in Nebraska. People are quite shallow and make judgements based up on perceptions and superficial information (cough cough).

Last edited by skydve76; 08-24-2011 at 10:39 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 PM

I see it can go both ways
either you know someone
or
they just like you and give you a job you can't do because they like you.

Good Ol' boys is the way Nebraska rolls.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,905,632 times
I would imagine that Omaha wouldn't constantly be among the cities with the best economies during the recession if there weren't talented people working these jobs reserved for the "good ol boys".

Omaha's unemployment rate is 4.7% realistically that is a little too low for a healthy community. 5% is the ideal. Omaha business can have a hard time finding qualified local citizens to fill their open positions because so many of the most qualified are already in the workforce.

skydve obviously you have some personal experience from your work history and have formed your own opinions. I just have a hard time believe that the entire cities job market should be described the ways you keep describing it. I believe that you have had a poor experience, but that by no means applies to every single job in the city(as you keep implying).

Business like the ones in Omaha do not become this successful by just hiring their friends.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:25 PM

I believe it is like shydive thinks.
When I hire someone I have to spend time with them, up to 40 hours a week.
I rather hire a nice guy I can get along with and train to work my way then
someone who is much more qualified and acts like an ass.

And of course I am going to hire my friends buddies over a complete stranger.

Knowing the right people to "get in" is called networking.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:00 AM

163 posts, read 336,753 times
I only have experience working in Omaha, so that's what I'll comment on.

It's pretty average, honestly. I'm a transplant, and I haven't had much of a problem getting hired. I work in low level retail, customer service jobs. My experience there is that the bigger companies are best to work for, not small family businesses, and absolutely no franchises. Corporate run stores only. I know that sounds really counter-intuitive, but that's the honest truth. The aforementioned "good ol' boy" problem is only an issue in the smaller places where you have one local owner with no one to answer to for his or her job. So yeah, it exists, but it gets blown out of proportion a lot.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:58 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,928,249 times
I'm having IT recruiters email me on a daily basis since I graduated with a degree in June and since I put my resume on the career sites.

There is a labor shortage in Omaha in IT. Even my sister in Tampa is receiving emails from Omaha businesses.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:55 AM

14 posts, read 26,882 times
Go to Grand Island. Work at JBS Swift make 13.00 to 18.00 per a hour just starting. No degree just have a ged or plus. Why waste time of hearing from anyone else that is where the money is at. Meat packing plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska