Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 06:58 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Lubbock, Texas. We are planning a semi-working retirement. She also has allergies, and being originally from Wis., still have never gotten used to Texas heat. How's Nebraska for retirement. We would like a city where we can find basic employment, but also have a town that has recreation activities, walking trails, parks, golf. So, we're checking out Nebraska. If you had your choice, which city, Omaha or Lincoln? In either case, we would probably live on the outskirts of town. Size doesn't matter to us. We've lived in Dallas too, so the big city doesn't intimidate us.

Also, how are the property taxes on a $125,000 home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 07:58 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Well, we "retired" to the country here (my DH laughs every time I use that word) so I can't help you on the "big City" thing - although neither Omaha nor Lincoln are anywhere near 'big' compared to Dallas. The folks who live there might get mad at me and think I'm dissing them, but I'm not - I love the fact! There is a lot of common sense here; they did not suffer from the 'building boom' and poor lending practices as so many places did; there are far fewer foreclosures in this state than most I have seen. My property has increased, not decreased in value.

As for avoiding the heat; well, the summer this year has been exceptionally hot and long and humid - places that are normally dry and brown by the end of June have been green and flourishing all summer. The past two summers, though, were dry and only had about 6 weeks of temps around 100, which (the locals tell me) is much more the norm. However, the first cold front moved in last night, and it is 52 deg where I am (North Central Nebraska) with a strong north wind. The rest of the week is predicted to have highs in the 80s, lows in the 40s and 50s. We are on our long fall slide into winter. Fall is actually chilly here, and winter - well, winter is cold. There's no way 'round it; it is usually below freezing at night, and hardly ever gets above 40 in the day from Oct thru May. We had three late frosts in May this year. There are lots of really exceptional blizzards and good snowstorms, and the wind is amazing. It blows almost all of the time, except in the middle of summer - and even then, it blows pretty awesomely during the thunderstorms. There are tornadoes, but they are not as prevalent as in, say, Kansas or Oklahoma, and we rarely get them where we are. Mostly what causes the damage is the straight line 50-80 mph winds and the hail.

Your taxes will vary, as each school district is allowed to vote on/set its own rate, but it won't be by a whole lot. Before I moved here local C-D posters warned me about the taxes, that they were exceptionally high, etc. However, I pay about the same taxes here that I paid in SC. Here I have 60 acres, a 100 year-old, 2000 sq ft farmhouse, and barns and outbuildings - back there I had a 1,000 sq foot home on 1/3 of an acre. Your mileage may vary.

The hunting is exceptional, the air is clear and much drier than in Texas (more humid in the eastern half of the state, but still drier by comparison to all but around the New Braunfels and San Antonio areas, where I have also lived). Most of the people are much more intense, they for the most part are very involved with their families and work, but much more honest and open - if they are your friends, you'll know it; if not, you'll know that too. It is easy to find a niche in Nebraska. The fishing is excellent, and there are even ice fishing opportunities. The food is excellent for the most part; good grassfed beef and lots of pies - do try a runza at your first opportunity. There are lots of social activities for us older folk. Many of my neighbors are "retired" ranchers, in their 70s and 80s, yet they still go out and fix fences and herd cattle on horseback to help out their children on the ranch. The hospitals in Lincoln are superb (haven't been to any in Omaha, sorry) but even the smaller hospital in North Platte and our local community hospitals, clinics, and doctors are excellent (and by far, cheaper than we are used to).

I hope that helps a little.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:29 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Granny, You're singing a nice song. It sounds about what we've been looking for. I'd like to avoid the winds but on the plains, that's not going to happen. Sounds like you made a great choice. One of the factors that is high on my list is the quality of people that you live around. It affects so many things, crime, the quality of care you get in a hosp. or the type of service you get from repairman. No place is perfect, who who wants to live someplace where everyone is out to cheat you or could care less if they give you good service.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:26 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
You had better like the cold and WIND WIND WIND WIND WIND WIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wind is why I have no intention of ever moving back to the Plains.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:46 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
LOL I know, GraniteStater! Some local folks tell me that, back in the lonely prairie days, the wind would actually push some very rural-living people over the edge, into suicide, murder, and mayhem - because it was the only sound they would hear for days and weeks on end.

I, on the other hand, enjoy it... it tells me what kind of weather is coming, it prevents mold from growing, it dries sweat, it makes me feel alive when walking in a blizzard. But it is sometimes tough to drive in, and it has taught me to REALLY be sure that something is nailed or tied down! Note to OP - don't plan on the inflatable Christmas decorations...

Old 09-03-2011, 06:48 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
One thing to remember when living in a small community is that people have long memories. Any person in a small community is living under a microscope and there are some things that will follow you for a lifetime. Business is still done by a handshake in many small communities. If you run a business in a small community and you try to cheat a customer by the next week everyone in the community will know about it. The Golden Rule really applies in small rural areas. It may take a year or two to establish your reputation in a small community but it just takes one shady deal to ruin it forever.

GL2

Old 09-05-2011, 11:51 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,100 times
the wind and the horizon are amazing...and so are the people!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
My wife and I currently live in Lubbock, Texas. We are planning a semi-working retirement. She also has allergies, and being originally from Wis., still have never gotten used to Texas heat. How's Nebraska for retirement. We would like a city where we can find basic employment, but also have a town that has recreation activities, walking trails, parks, golf. So, we're checking out Nebraska. If you had your choice, which city, Omaha or Lincoln? In either case, we would probably live on the outskirts of town. Size doesn't matter to us. We've lived in Dallas too, so the big city doesn't intimidate us.

I have visited all 50 states over the years and Nebraska was #49 and that was pretty much where it ranked on my list ... until I visited the state. We had a blast visiting a town between Chadron and Nebraska City for a week. Then, one of my friends took a position near Kearney and we are generally there once a year or so.

I like Omaha and Lincoln but I would not relocate to either. I would look at some of the smaller cities like Nebraska City, Hastings, or maybe even Kearney (although that borders on the remote). (OK, I KNOW it is NOT Cherry County, but it is too far from the airport for me.) Or maybe, I would look at the smaller college towns outside of Lincoln like Seward or Crete.

Nebraska is NOT tax friendly for retirees as most retirement income (other than railroad retirement) is taxable.

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees

Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I...Nebraska is NOT tax friendly for retirees ....
as a NE Native, The 'unfriendly' tax structure will keep me away. (as well as the ridiculous restrictive funeral lobby / rules)

I have strict 'end-of-life' rules to assure I'm OUT of NE before I breath my last breath. (or you risk being confiscated by their preying funeral directors and state laws to back them up.

???
Quote:
???

Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
[quote=StealthRabbit;20777458]as a NE Native, The 'unfriendly' tax structure will keep me away. (as well as the ridiculous restrictive funeral lobby / rules)

I have strict 'end-of-life' rules to assure I'm OUT of NE before I breath my last breath. (or you risk being confiscated by their preying funeral directors and state laws to back them up.
I have plans to be cremated so my estate will be able to avoid things like embalming, casket, burial vault etc. I also will be leaving instructions for no memorial service etc. I am looking in to a prepaid plan right now that covers moving my body to the closest approved crematorium and returning my ashes to my next of kin. So far I have just talked to the representative on the telephone and I am awaiting their literature. It looks like it will be less than a thousand dollars.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska