Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 AM

98 posts, read 207,722 times

Advertisements

How is the employment situation in Nebraska. I have read many articles describing the relatively low unemployment rate in state. Are they factually accurate? Are there jobs in Nebraska is serious need of employees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:00 PM

696 posts, read 1,722,998 times
There are no jobs here, move somewhere else. LOL

There are jobs but if you are picky you may think there are no jobs.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:15 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,578,321 times
You have to understand that the statistical UE rate appears low due to Nebraska being one of the less populated states with many of the jobs being in agriculture and farming, therefore not many areas have been affected by downsizing.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
You have to understand that the statistical UE rate appears low due to Nebraska being one of the less populated states with many of the jobs being in agriculture and farming, therefore not many areas have been affected by downsizing.
So most of the job openings are in agriculture and farming? There aren't many in the cities? I would prefer to live in Lincoln or Omaha...but even a smaller city wouldn't be that bad.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,389,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmx66 View Post
So most of the job openings are in agriculture and farming? There aren't many in the cities? I would prefer to live in Lincoln or Omaha...but even a smaller city wouldn't be that bad.
Omaha and Lincoln both have low UE rates. It just depends on your specialities or career field. Omaha is a big insurance, fianance, healthcare, telecom, and IT hub. Lincoln is big on education with the university of Nebraska obviously.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Omaha and Lincoln both have low UE rates. It just depends on your specialities or career field. Omaha is a big insurance, fianance, healthcare, telecom, and IT hub. Lincoln is big on education with the university of Nebraska obviously.
I'm a skilled tradesman (Millwright/maintenance planner). While I would like to work at a plant, I would be willing to be flexible. I'm trying to get a sense of what's out there.

Are you a native? How long, on average, do people stay unemployed and what's the temp/contract work situation out there?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 PM

350 posts, read 739,076 times
Quote:
I'm a skilled tradesman (Millwright/maintenance planner). While I would like to work at a plant, I would be willing to be flexible. I'm trying to get a sense of what's out there.

Are you a native? How long, on average, do people stay unemployed and what's the temp/contract work situation out there?
What is a millwright? There is not much manufacturing in Nebraska - the big plants I can think of near here are Baldwin Filters in Kearney and BD in Holdrege.

Have no idea what temp/contract situation is. Most people do not stay unemployed too long unless they have a bad reputation from previous jobs as word travels fast in more close-knit communities. That applies to rural Nebraska not Lincoln or Omaha. Lincoln and Omaha will be a lot more impersonal but I think the economy is ok out there although I've always thought of them as much more competitive areas to live in then out here (many more applicants for jobs, less job security, different work environments, etc.). I think Lincoln, typical of most university towns, has a surplus of college grads, but non-college jobs other than retail and restaurants there are probably ok.

Hiring out here is a serious decision and job security generally as a consequence is very good. However, I do not think manufacturing is very big in this state and nationally you are in a sector which has been dying for a long time and virtually obliterated by the current recession. I hope this will change but a lot of people are going to have try to find whatever other work they can get.

Let us know what kind of flexibility you have and we can give you more ideas. There are jobs out here (though not necessarily a lot in manufacturing) but they may be in different industries (mostly ag related).

Old 10-19-2011, 08:07 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,841,110 times
Quote:

Novartis near Lincoln is looking for production line maintenance workers. They have been advertising starting jobs up to $18/hour with great benefits. Sorry I don't have a phone number but I am sure they probably have a web site with contact information.

GL2

Old 10-20-2011, 07:14 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,220,283 times
If I'm not mistaken, Case, in Grand Island, is always on the hunt for good employees, too.
There's also the muffler factory in Seward(?)

Old 10-20-2011, 03:02 PM

31 posts, read 85,574 times
There is actually a lot more manufacturing around than folks on here are aware of. Our shop has hired about 10-15 machine operators and welders recently (mostly through a temp agency). We have been just stupid busy all summer and will hit record sales in our peak this fall/winter. Construction is picking up around Lincoln with the arena going in. Most of my customers say their shops are busy as well. A skilled millwright should be able to find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska