Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 03:49 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times

Advertisements

FWIW, I kind of like western NE, used to travel there on business all the time. The climate is similar to eastern CO.

I think Scottsbluff/Gering are a nice little area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 05:29 AM

232 posts, read 302,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
FWIW, I kind of like western NE, used to travel there on business all the time. The climate is similar to eastern CO.

I think Scottsbluff/Gering are a nice little area.
FWIW? A new one for me. I'll have to drive to the panhandle in the Spring. I saw "Chimney Rock" (what's left) years ago and have been a Westerner (lived in all 4-corners) for 30+years. I have family in Ft Collins and SLC, UT so maybe we'll get together? Have to exit MN though AGAIN (native, keep returning for what I don't know?)...I spent an absolutely detestable Summer here (humidity). I still can't believe that Scottsbluff has a Target (main reason I'm attracted) out in the middle of nowhere (and 45' off I80)? Someone in Scottsbluff must have a pipeline to Target....hmmm. I'm guessing it must be the smallest populated town (15,000) in Target's location map? Have a great Winter in the shadow of Pike's Peak and watch out for that ICE!

Old 08-23-2015, 05:47 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times
Tommyp1....there are several small towns as well as farms and ranches surrounding Scotts bluff and these people will all shop in Scotts bluff. That is how target "makes it" there.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
Tommyp1....there are several small towns as well as farms and ranches surrounding Scotts bluff and these people will all shop in Scotts bluff. That is how target "makes it" there.
@rya700: Well thanks for that. Then there IS 'good shopping' there and they do not have to go to Cheyenne or Fort Collins. I'm really interested in the panhandle (eg. Scottsbluff) and plan to check it out in the Spring. My only concern is I'm a "green" person eg. bicycle, walk, public transportation (none that I can find there). So no car/truck. I can always rent a car (notice an Enterprise there) but it may be challenging which I'm up for? Centrally located is my plan. Any thoughts?

Old 08-24-2015, 02:06 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
To answer the OP's question. Yes a FEW people do live in Western Nebraska. Thankfully, very few. That is one of the reasons it is such a great area.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:59 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp1 View Post
I'm really interested in the panhandle (eg. Scottsbluff) and plan to check it out in the Spring. My only concern is I'm a "green" person eg. bicycle, walk, public transportation (none that I can find there). So no car/truck. I can always rent a car (notice an Enterprise there) but it may be challenging which I'm up for? Centrally located is my plan. Any thoughts?
I think in the end you'll find you want a car - but you can always give it a try and see how it goes!

Old 08-29-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I think in the end you'll find you want a car - but you can always give it a try and see how it goes!
Yeah, it looks from the previous posts: the entire area is a "drop-out" from the "rat-race" cities (more people, traffic, crime etc.---one commenter noted he likes it that way...haha) I've been a "drop-out" before: Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Austin MN, Kingman AZ for a few but larger. I'll have to get thru the Winter of '15 and check out the panhandle in the Spring. It would be an atypical retirement area but what attracts me is the shopping and proximity to Ft Collins where I have family (who just might drop in...but NOT holding my breath). Maybe I'll have to look into a scooter? I notice that a cyclist was killed in the area recently by a flat-bed truck driver. Either (or both) could have been at fault, but I'm pretty good at watching my back! About the only thing that drives my life currently is a good book and an awesome wifi coffee shop (with decent hours) to relax in too read it. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:05 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,626,567 times
Scottsbluff could use a Sam's Club or a Costco once the population gets larger. They don't even have a Starbucks or Panera Bread yet. Given how the housing costs in Denver, I wouldn't doubt Scottsbluff will see a population increase in another 20-30 years. Owning a bicycle in Scottsbluff or doing anything outdoors is a no-brainer, they need more non automobile alternatives to transportation.

Last edited by Hschlick84; 09-02-2015 at 11:26 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Scottsbluff could use a Sam's Club or a Costco once the population gets larger. They don't even have a Starbucks or Panera Bread yet. Given how the housing costs in Denver, I wouldn't doubt Scottsbluff will see a population increase in another 20-30 years. Owning a bicycle in Scottsbluff or doing anything outdoors is a no-brainer, they need more non automobile alternatives to transportation.
Well I wouldn't hold my breath for Panera or even Starbucks which is not even "full service" (nationally) any longer minus their full line of "brewed coffees" after 12N. "Pour overs" are not the same as a brewed cup of coffee. Panera is very pricey (although I still can't deny myself their "pecan braids"). Bottom line: rents and minimum wage (the current national issue: where are the min wage workers going to live?) dictate what businesses Scottsbluff (or any city) can support. My native city (St Paul) has become (moved back here in June--BAD move) an elitist hamlet. The mayor here (Chris Coleman a Repub.) wants a new soccer stadium but still has 35-50% vacant office space dntn with an empty Dayton's/Macy store to boot! Go figure! Cater to the working yuppies and suck up that tax revenue. Min wage has risen to $12+ so try finding a place to eat (dinner + 2 drinks) for less than $25-30, or EVEN breakfast which used to go for $10 incl tip but now: $12-15 (with tip) 1 person. NOT! Maybe I can bring some of my "non-motorized" life to the "bluff" and it'll rub off?

Last edited by tommyp1; 09-03-2015 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska