Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 12:57 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,498,777 times

Advertisements

It looks like the Senate Republicans got their way. The Keystone pipeline will be built. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:54 AM

370 posts, read 1,349,309 times
I think it was inevitable that it would be built. However, they are supposed to avoid the "environmentally sensitive" sandhills now.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:50 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,207,542 times
I don't think anyone ever had a complaint about it being built at all.

Just that you'd have to be an absolute moron to think routing it through the Sandhills was a good idea... So long as it routes around the Sandhills, I doubt anyone will care.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:06 PM

370 posts, read 1,349,309 times
I'm sure there are still plenty of people that won't be happy when it appears in their backyard, but not as unhappy as the folks in north-central Nebraska were.

Glad they made the change.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:17 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,817,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
It looks like the Senate Republicans got their way. The Keystone pipeline will be built. What do you all think?
Yes it is going to built. The ROUTING of the pipeline across the sensitive Sandhills was the issue not the Pipeline itself. Nice try to smear the GOP though smithy77

GL2

Old 12-18-2011, 10:10 AM

4,527 posts, read 6,215,422 times
"I doubt anyone will care"...until there is a spill, and we discover the Bozo's running the show have no plan or clue to satisfactorily restore the environment, or how to keep the spill out of our water supply. IMO, it's an accident waiting to happen, the oil industry has a history that will make this prediction a reality in time.

Are you aware:

Leaks and spills are common occurrences from such pipelines. Between 2000 and 2009, pipeline accidents were responsible for 2,794 significant incidents and 161 fatalities in the United States, 3 In 2010 alone. Enbridge pipelines spilled over 1 million gallons of oil from Canada’s tar sands into Michigan’s Kalamazoo River; 275,000 gallons in a suburb of Chicago; and 126,000 gallons near Neche, North Dakota. And within a few months of beginning operation, TransCanada’s recently completed Keystone pipeline had leaked at least three times in South Dakota. Now TransCanada hopes to build the
Keystone XL pipeline over and, in some places, in the Ogallala Aquifer, which serves as the primary
source of drinking water for millions of Americans and provides 30 percent of the nation’s ground
water used for irrigation. A pipeline leak would have devastating effects. (http://www.nrdc.org/land/files/TarSandsPipeline4pgr.pdf).

that TransCanada predicted that the Keystone I pipeline would see one spill in 7 years. In fact, there have been 12 spills in 1 year. The company was ordered to dig up 10 sections of pipe after government-ordered tests indicated that defective steel may have been used. KeystoneXL will use steel from the same Indian manufacturer.(Key Facts on Keystone XL | Tar Sands Action)

that TransCanada agreed to fifty-one conditions for its high pressure Keystone I pipeline, describing the pipeline system as one that would “meet or exceed world-class safety and environmental standards.” After a year of operation, the pipeline has had a dozen leaks and is being investigated by federal pipeline safety regulators who found it to be an imminent threat to life, property and the environment.(Clinton's tar sands pipeline "safety conditions" are smoke and mirrors | Anthony Swift's Blog | Switchboard, from NRDC)

that in a Congressional hearing in June, top pipeline safety regulator Cynthia Quarterman admitted that her agency had not studied the risks posed by tar sand pipelines and was not able to comment on them. Even when acting in good faith, it is difficult for an agency to effectively manage risks it hasn’t investigated and doesn’t understand.(Clinton's tar sands pipeline "safety conditions" are smoke and mirrors | Anthony Swift's Blog | Switchboard, from NRDC)

that TransCanada applied to the U.S. government to use thinner steel and pump at higher pressures than normal.

that the Canadians themselves have just delayed review of their tar sands pipelines over safety concerns. To date, Canada has not approved dedicated tar sands pipelines to its East or West Coast.

that the fossil fuel industry has poured an estimated $42,000,000 into campaign coffers of the 234 House members voting in favor, including $1,100,000 to Rep. Boehner alone, according to OpenSecrets.org. The industry lists the pipeline as a top priority.

that the Keystone XL is an export pipeline. According to presentations to investors, Gulf Coast refiners plan to refine the cheap Canadian crude supplied by the pipeline into diesel and other products for export to Europe and Latin America. Proceeds from these exports are earned tax-free. Much of the fuel refined from the pipeline’s heavy crude oil will never reach U.S. drivers’ tanks.
(Key Facts on Keystone XL | Tar Sands Action)

I'd suggest that there is much more than meets the eye regarding the Keystone project...do some digging on your own.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-18-2011, 01:01 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,498,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Yes it is going to built. The ROUTING of the pipeline across the sensitive Sandhills was the issue not the Pipeline itself. Nice try to smear the GOP though smithy77

GL2
But they're so smear-able. My pleasure. Study gemstone1's post. One man's smear is another's truth.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,207,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I doubt anyone will care"...until there is a spill, and we discover the Bozo's running the show have no plan or clue to satisfactorily restore the environment, or how to keep the spill out of our water supply. IMO, it's an accident waiting to happen, the oil industry has a history that will make this prediction a reality in time.

Are you aware:...

Yeah, I am.

Did you read my post?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:14 PM

4,527 posts, read 6,215,422 times
"Did you read my post?"...Yes I did....I took your statement: "I don't think anyone ever had a complaint about it being built at all" to mean that you did not think anyone was against "the pipeline", they were only opposed to routing the pipeline thru the Sand Hills territory. Did I mis-understand your statement ?

Personally, I am at a loss, given the negative potential of this pipeline, to understand why anyone would look at it as if it the right thing to do.

Help me out here, other than providing temporary employment for 5-6K workers, what is right about the proposed pipeline ? Most of these workers would not come from any local economy, they'd be imported workers. I don't mean to downplay the importance of 5-6K jobs, but in the big picture, that means about .05% reduction in national unemployment.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-20-2011, 11:11 AM

220 posts, read 373,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
I think it's a good thing, and am glad that the Republicans are smart enough to see what's really going on.

You do realize, don't you, that there are literally dozens of oil and gas pipelines running all through every area of Nebraska, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: