Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:43 PM

13 posts, read 37,430 times

Advertisements

What do Nebraskans think of Bo Pelini as head coach of the Huskers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey One View Post
What do Nebraskans think of Bo Pelini as head coach of the Huskers?
He's a hot head, but he knows what he's doing (except for keeping Martinez at starting quarterback) in my opinion. Martinez is good at running which he showed last year and he can throw the ball if the first look is the one that's open. I've been unimpressed with Martinez now that they're trying to get him to throw. Either keep Martinez running or get rid of him as starter. We need a quarterback that knows how to go through his progressions and can throw on the run while rushing as a last resort. I don't think Martinez will ever be that, so I'd give Brion Carnes the position as he will have at least three years ahead of him.

I'm not totally into the option, either. Have the option every now and then and pass often - would be my ideal setup.

He needs to motivate the players so they will understand every ball needs to be caught, every pass needs to be made, there will be no fumbles no matter what. He should always push for perfection and it will seem less elusive. He needs to remind his players that they have everything it takes to be perfect - instead of chewing them out - so they will believe they can be perfect. You can't do anything you don't believe you can do.

Last edited by Busguy2010; 01-03-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,609 times
I agree with Busguy. I worry that Bo is spending all of his time yelling instead of teaching. I don't know if that is the case or not, but from his sideline attitude that's what I worry about. I think that he a great defensively minded guy, he proved that with dominating defenses throughout his career. To me that would suggest that he has some ideas that might drive opposing defenses crazy as well. I'm just not sure why it's not coming to fruition. Maybe we don't have the talent, but there is some kind of disconnect. If you watch Nebraska play then watch teams in the other games yesterday like Wisconsin, Oregon, Oklahoma State, or Stanford it's clear that those teams have something that we can only dream of for the time being.

On that note. I'm starting to wonder about our coaching staff as a whole . It's easy for me to coach from the couch and of course hindsight is 20/20 and being a Sunday quarterback isn't helpful, but some of the decisions seem to be a little boneheaded. Taylor Martinez isn't a great quarterback, he can occasionally break the long run, but aside from that he's ineffective. Once a defense has him stopped our offense goes nowhere. In the SC game the announcers said that SC has been preparing for Taylor Martinez, then after halftime it was clear that we switched to a package than involved Martinez more and SC having prepared for that shut us down. Our game plan seems to need more contingencies and our staff be more adaptable when things aren't working. There is a fine line between patience to let your plan work, and being past the point of being able to change. We seem to miss that all too often.

I like Bo because he keeps the things that are important to Nebraska. Our traditions, etc. It was a shell of it's former self with Callahan and it's definitely better now. The biggest problem is the fans that were spoiled with our several years of dominance. 9 or 10 wins is just below expectations for us now. 9 and 10 wins got Solich fired. There are already people calling for Bo's firing. Personally I'll take the 9 and 10 wins and call it an average year. If we get 11 or 12, heck then it's a great year! You can't have great years every year. It's been about what? 13, 14 years since our last one? We are just getting antsy. We seem to forget that about 20 years passed between our last two championships. Will that great year come sooner or later? We'll see, but Martinez needs to get good or get replaced very soon.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 AM

13 posts, read 37,430 times
Good, well thought out replies from both Busguy2010 and pheaton. Having grown up across the river from NE I've always watched to see how the Huskers were doing each fall. I never thought Callahan was Husker material and wondered how he got through the interview process. I was surprised he was allowed to stay as long as he did. Solich was a different sutuation and I was somewhat surprised that he was terminated when he was. Obviously the expectations are high every year with fans remembering Dr. Tom and Devaney before that (showing my age, a lot of current fans probably have only heard of the latter). I've had a change of opinion on Pelini. When I first watched him on the sidelines I thought he was just what the doctor ordered and what the team needed. His bombastic style has grown weary, at least with me. But I don't have the option to see all that many Big Red games so wanted input from fans that do. Thank you for the input. I believe your two takes are similar to what I've been seeing.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:07 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Nebraska has a head coach?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:22 AM

400 posts, read 949,701 times
I grew up watching Osborne and I much prefer a coach that is in control of his own emotions. Bo should take a lesson from Osborne's form of coaching, not saying he's going to coach like him, they're two different people and therefore don't have the same thinking patterns but he would serve himself well to lead with respect instead of temper tantrums. It was well displayed in the bowl game that disrespectful behavior is acceptable and it is not. Not to this long time Husker fan anyway... The kids playing now are too young to remember the Osborne years, they don't have a full understanding of what it is they're living up to. It makes me sad and frustrated.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:51 PM

76 posts, read 142,469 times
I love Bo. And frankly, I'm tired of this crybaby stuff about him being "too hotheaded" and blah blah blah. This is football, not tennis. Shall we all think back to the days of Devaney and Bo Schembechler? Both outstanding coaches....both as hotheaded or more than Pelini. Osborne was an amazingly unique kind of football coach...person in general. It's not likely we'll see one like him again.

Bo Pelini
Nick Saban
Gary Patterson
Frank Beamer
Chris Peterson
Mike Gundy

Those are the only D1a coaches who've won 9 games or more each of the last 4 seasons. I think Bo is fine and will improve.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:24 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Weston View Post
I love Bo. And frankly, I'm tired of this crybaby stuff about him being "too hotheaded" and blah blah blah. This is football, not tennis. Shall we all think back to the days of Devaney and Bo Schembechler? Both outstanding coaches....both as hotheaded or more than Pelini. Osborne was an amazingly unique kind of football coach...person in general. It's not likely we'll see one like him again.

Bo Pelini
Nick Saban
Gary Patterson
Frank Beamer
Chris Peterson
Mike Gundy

Those are the only D1a coaches who've won 9 games or more each of the last 4 seasons. I think Bo is fine and will improve.
I think his tactics are part of the reason for Nebraska's inconsistency (They can beat a 2011 Michigan State or 2010 Missouri-like team, but lose to a 2011 Northwestern or 2010 Texas-like team). Winning is execution and the belief that your team is the best. Every individual on a team needs to feel like the man in order to be the man.

Psychologically speaking, yelling causes an instinctual feeling of fear in the recipient. The recipient will want to correct the mistake to stop the yelling.

Bo gets angry and yells at his players when they don't execute, so they feel fear first, and then inferiority. Then they take that inferiority onto the field.

I believe it would go a long way for Bo to support everything his players do right, and then when they do something wrong, he should firmly let them know that but then assure his confidence in his players.

The way the Huskers play tells me that when they get down in the game, they get shot down further by Bo. I don't think every player on the team thinks they're the man and bo is part of the reason.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 PM

509 posts, read 1,698,223 times
just my take on Bo .any other coach will make adjustments during halftime . i don't think Bo does . in fact when second half starts the team plays worse . as the game goes on and Nebraska starts getting behind Bo seems to have no idea how to stop the bleeding
Martinez as a quarterback ?? i would remove him as the qb and use his speed as a decoy , playing halfback .
in summing it uo i woud say that Bo had better find his :Mojo" . every coach in B1G has his number down pat .

Old 01-12-2012, 08:26 AM

76 posts, read 142,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
I think his tactics are part of the reason for Nebraska's inconsistency (They can beat a 2011 Michigan State or 2010 Missouri-like team, but lose to a 2011 Northwestern or 2010 Texas-like team). Winning is execution and the belief that your team is the best. Every individual on a team needs to feel like the man in order to be the man.

Psychologically speaking, yelling causes an instinctual feeling of fear in the recipient. The recipient will want to correct the mistake to stop the yelling.

Bo gets angry and yells at his players when they don't execute, so they feel fear first, and then inferiority. Then they take that inferiority onto the field.

I believe it would go a long way for Bo to support everything his players do right, and then when they do something wrong, he should firmly let them know that but then assure his confidence in his players.
The problem is, all anyone ever sees is what they put on TV. You're assuming that this is all that Pelini does is yell get on player's butts. Nobody sees what happens later when Bo goes back to talk to the player or what he says after the game, during practice, during the week, etc. That's not news, so nobody ever sees it. The players have no problems with Bo and his attitude. Neither does Tom. Neither do I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
The way the Huskers play tells me that when they get down in the game, they get shot down further by Bo. I don't think every player on the team thinks they're the man and bo is part of the reason.
Part of the biggest problem right now is ego. Both with the players and the coaches. They had a sort of arrogance this year like they are Nebraska...and all they need to do is show up and they'll win. Inconsistent fundamentals play (poor tackling, fumbles, etc), poor discipline (penalties in particular), and in some cases, not playing the right players. How they cannot get Jamal Turner on the field more is mind boggling. He's 100% better athletically than Marlowe...yet he rarely sees the field.

Hopefully, this year took them all down a peg and will get them back to teaching fundamentals first. We also, hopefully, have a stable coaching staff for awhile now. We lost ALOT when Sanders left. That as a bigger hit than most people realize. Before that we lost Eckler and Watson, others here and there. Despite what one might think of those coaches, changing coaches always causes some level of disruption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
just my take on Bo .any other coach will make adjustments during halftime . i don't think Bo does . in fact when second half starts the team plays worse . as the game goes on and Nebraska starts getting behind Bo seems to have no idea how to stop the bleeding
Martinez as a quarterback ?? i would remove him as the qb and use his speed as a decoy , playing halfback .
in summing it uo i woud say that Bo had better find his :Mojo" . every coach in B1G has his number down pat .
They DO make adjustments at halftime. They may not always be very good, or the right ones, but they do make them. Again, the problem is discipline. The team has a tendency to implode....false starts, holding, dropped passes....we kill ourselves more than anything. That's all discipline...and that starts with the coaches.

Also, I wouldn't want Martinez as a halfback. Since his ankle injury he's just not the same player. Not nearly as fast or mobile. And he generally cough's the ball up more than I'm comfortable with. However, I will say he has gotten better with ball security. That being said, I think it was Bo's ego that kept Martinez on the field. It was his choice and he didn't want to admit that, maybe, Martinez wasn't the best choice. That's something that needs to change....if true. The best players need to play...they need to get back to competing for spots. This is what Bo preached when he got here, and followed through with the first couple years. He seems to have gotten away from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska