Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:25 AM

115 posts, read 203,081 times

Advertisements

Please DO NOT move to North Platte. I live here, and its totally crap now. There are no jobs, and nothing to be able to get into an "off grid" situation. Land here is off the charts, rents here are beyond anything, even for dumps, the landlords are slum lords, and the drug, and crime here are getting off the charts also.
Please take 00buckshot's advice: Please look toward the Scottsbluff area and go from there. I would love to go "off grid" and move totally out of here, but can't at the moment. This town is going nowhere, no how, no way period.
There is little shopping, or anything entertaining except bars, liquor stores and drugs, and crime.
I was born and raised here and its just not a place to set roots in expecially after you move so very far away, and your hopes and dreams are busted. A lot of the people here are jerks especially because we have Union Pacific and it brings out the worst in people's attitudes.
Hope you find your dream and wish you much luck.

Last edited by denimflyz; 02-08-2012 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: mis spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 04:03 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,751,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Sounds like a nice property BigMann. I went to realestate.com but I couldn't find it when I plugged in Trenton, NE in the search box. Is it closer to another town?

GL2
Sorry, the correct sight is Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Houses for Rent on Realtor.com - Realtor.com® and type in Trenton, NE then go to advanced search and click on land, farms, etc.

It is called Lake Swanson Estates. There is only one showing for sale but if you take the time to drive there, there are more for sale than listed. Also call number on entrace sign and they will give more info.

My credit union would not loan on land only and I did not want to pay cash and deplete savings.

Last edited by Bigg Mann; 02-10-2012 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: mispell

Old 02-10-2012, 10:34 PM

26 posts, read 50,222 times
Quote:
It is going to be difficult to buy less than 20 acres of land almost anywhere in Nebraska. In the East end of the state many of the Counties will not allow parcels of land less than 20 acres to be sold without a development permit that requires building streets and utilities. In the West end of the State it is difficult to buy that small of an acreage. It is easier to find a quarter (160 acres) or a section than it is 5 acres or less. There are some available but they are difficult to find. If you do decide to buy a rural acreage before you even think about talking to a Real estate agent, hang around local coffee shops, watering holes and sales auctions in the area where you want to locate. Talk to the locals and you might find a gem for about one tenth of what a Real Estate broker or agent will tell you it will cost. Ask these people questions about their local schools, sports teams, hunting & fishing etc to get a feel for how you will fit in. They might be your neighbors so if they aren't the kind of people you would want for neighbors, find out about it before you plunk down thousands of dollars on a piece of property a real estate agent sold you.SC Granny mentioned LandsofAmerica. It is a good resource but MOST listings they have are way above actual selling prices. Do some negotiating.

Good luck,
GL2
I totally disagree with your statement about buying acreages of 20 acres or less. It is actually quite easy. Farmer's are buying farm ground and are selling the farmstead on three to five acres to help finance their purchases. Many counties allow farmsteads to be split off of the farmland without too much hassle. In my county you can buy three acres on a pivot corner and build a house on it as long as you aren't too close to a livestock operation. Counties in eastern Nebraska like Platte, Dixon, Thurston and Butler aren't zoned so just about anything goes there. No development permits and road building necessary. A lot of people find a corner or farmstead that's interesting to them and contact the farmer directly and make an offer.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:07 PM

696 posts, read 1,719,669 times
Quote:
Sounds like a nice property BigMann. I went to realestate.com but I couldn't find it when I plugged in Trenton, NE in the search box. Is it closer to another town?

GL2
15&16 Lake Swanson Country Estates Trenton NE - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #13707 - Realtor.com®

Old 07-07-2012, 10:52 AM

56 posts, read 96,032 times
I just wanted to chime in real quick. We are very like minded and have been working towards being more self sufficient for over 2.5 years. We have 14 acres with a nice farm house, small barn, larger barn, hen house, turkey house, large garden area,vineyard, very large orchard, grapes, berries of all kinds( strawberry,blackberry,raspberry,elderberry) walnut trees, mulberry trees, aspargus, etc, etc. We have pasture ground and we intensively graze our cows and sheep on, plus enough left to bale up for winter. We have a few acres in alfalfa also that we bale for winter. We also have bees that we keep so we have planted alot of flowers and such to keep them in nectar all summer. We are in a semi drought and we still have our pastures blooming clover! It is possible to do this, for us because it is so expensive here our children cannot buy land and do the same so we are selling. We are not going through a realtor because I think it will sell fast with all we have done. We do things organically, and do not spray so it would be quite easy to get certified if that is what someone wants. We are near Columbus, there are lots of jobs. It has a wonderful manufacturing base. If you want more info,just PM me.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:49 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,818,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28sofar View Post
I just wanted to chime in real quick. We are very like minded and have been working towards being more self sufficient for over 2.5 years. We have 14 acres with a nice farm house, small barn, larger barn, hen house, turkey house, large garden area,vineyard, very large orchard, grapes, berries of all kinds( strawberry,blackberry,raspberry,elderberry) walnut trees, mulberry trees, aspargus, etc, etc. We have pasture ground and we intensively graze our cows and sheep on, plus enough left to bale up for winter. We have a few acres in alfalfa also that we bale for winter. We also have bees that we keep so we have planted alot of flowers and such to keep them in nectar all summer. We are in a semi drought and we still have our pastures blooming clover! It is possible to do this, for us because it is so expensive here our children cannot buy land and do the same so we are selling. We are not going through a realtor because I think it will sell fast with all we have done. We do things organically, and do not spray so it would be quite easy to get certified if that is what someone wants. We are near Columbus, there are lots of jobs. It has a wonderful manufacturing base. If you want more info,just PM me.
I would not be interested myself Moms28 because I want to build something exactly the way I need it. I do have friends that might be interested though. Send any info & pictures to me Gunluvver2NOSPAM@Yahoo.com

GL2

Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 PM

696 posts, read 1,719,669 times
Quote:

Price?????

Old 08-04-2012, 11:23 AM

189,900 I have an ad on By Owner House in Nebraska | ForSaleByOwner.com - FSBO

Old 08-04-2012, 05:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,622,222 times
Quote:
How did you fit 8 children into that small house?

Old 08-05-2012, 07:05 PM

It works well for us, kids all share rooms. And actually I have 9 children now. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska