Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:07 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,903,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aglandman View Post
There are hundreds of great towns and small cities in nebraska and very few of them turn away new residents regardless of color or ethnicity. What they do not want in their towns is the crime and problems.

I suspect that I am like almost any Nebraskan in that any person, regardless of who they are or where they are from is welcome to be my neighbor.

The person who spewed the vile earlier is obviously not your typical true Nebraskan. True Nebraskans would never talk like that and spew that much hatred and those many lies.

Is Nebraska perfect? Absolutely not. We are humans and we make mistakes just like everyone else and we have "bad guys" just like everywhere else. The difference is we do not tolerate the "bad guys" and where they are from or who they are does not matter.

Good Luck on your decision.
Very good post. South Dakotans are similar to Nebraskans and the Midwesterners are good-natured and sincere people. But, we are not as naieve in regards to the bad guys as what some may portray. As far as I am concerned, Nebraskans are good people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 02:00 PM

214 posts, read 473,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Very good post. South Dakotans are similar to Nebraskans and the Midwesterners are good-natured and sincere people. But, we are not as naieve in regards to the bad guys as what some may portray. As far as I am concerned, Nebraskans are good people.

Reading about the state this seems to be true . I may come to visit in the spring .

Old 01-17-2009, 07:16 AM

25 posts, read 135,868 times
Moving to Nebraska has been enlightening. It has proven to me that the moral decline in America is everywhere. I honestly expected people to live more traditional values. The older generations do, but the younger generations are deceived like everywhere else I suppose. The internet and television combined with radio has pretty much linked the younger generations together everywhere, and much of it to the destruction of good moral values. I am in a town in Nebraska where kids are sexually active in Jr High... lots of them. If I mentioned what happened in the local movie theater last year, you either would not believe it or would be shocked to your toes.

Well, one thing I know to be true is... Jesus is coming soon. Let's just keep focused on Him and be a part of the end-time harvest! The truth is not in this world, it is in God and His Son Jesus Christ.

God Bless.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:39 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,658,437 times
Well, I've been here since May, now.
I have to say that most of the teens I work with at the HS are intelligent, funny, fun-loving, and very active in sports and extra-curricular activites - most of them farm and ranch oriented, like Future Farmers of America, but many not - like Aca-Deca, Drama, Choir, and Band. We have a lot of GREAT teachers - and most of them went away to college and came home to teach. There is no evident drug or alcohol problem, and many of the teens are uninterested in having sex - they have to be up before sunup to feed up or herd before they come to school, and springtime "branding" is a legitimate excuse for absence; they don't have TIME to fool around. There's no day care on campus for the teens' children like there is back east; there's no need for it. No one wears their pants around their knees, because you can't ride a horse or tractor like that. And everyone, from the adults to the children, pulls their own weight, doesn't sit on their wazoos waiting for a handout or for someone to give them something.
They know that they deserve exactly what they work for, nothing more. And yet they are warm and friendly.

As for the Internet and visits to big cities corrupting the kids, I don't see a lot of that... these kids are centered and self-confident, and think a lot of 'that stuff' is just foolishness. Right now they are into their Media Computer classes, and know more about PhotoShop and designing animations, making their own cartoons and even their own televised-on-the-web local news and fun stories, than many adults.

Of course our community is VERY rural, and if you don't work HARD, 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week, you have no way to live. They work hard - and play hard. No petty judgements, no pettiness or gossipy backstabbing, they simply - don't CARE who or what you are, as long as you don't take from THEM, or expect them to support you - or listen to your complaints.

But - I love it. I may never have lived here before, never had family or friends here, but this is home.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:08 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,188,317 times
Default ...

some people don't know how to read into what other people believe in..

While some read WAY too much into the beliefs of other people, here in the upper plains, we work hard to make our beliefs and virtues stronger..

To me, somebody who doesn't put in much effort into their life or beliefs, should still be able to believe what they want, but it just will never hold much water..

Things change, but NY and California has ALWAYS been the place of inventing new ways of finding any way possible to sit on your butt and complain about how bad their life is.. In Nebraska, there are troubled people and because as a state of hard working people, they feel REALLY out of place.. And those kids are really noticeable, and either move away when they get older or they straighten themselves up.. 2008 has many different ways of being good/bad than 1988

Things don't change... California/NY is still that way... They are re-inventing the lazy wheel, over and over again.. while the upper-plains are still America's workhorse.. Just that 2008 and 1988 had a lot of dynamic changes, and it brings out different possibilities, but still Nebraskan's are working as hard as ever and Cali/NY are.. well.. they are still trying to find themselves..

Oh, and since 1988, many people have gone past the notion that the amount of pay determines standard of living, they have found that cost-of-living is as equally important, which moves Nebraska into the top 5 standard of living every year while Cali/NY are in the bottom 5, surprise suprise!

Old 01-17-2009, 07:17 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,867,438 times
I don't know where you get your info on NY but having lived here for 55 years, you're pretty much correct and I'm so, so sick of it. My wife is giving me a hard time moving so far away from what she knows and the people we know here but I gotta get out of here or I'll be a maniac soon!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,213,090 times
Quote:
and springtime "branding" is a legitimate excuse for absence
Ask around.
In country schools, so long as the teacher shows up also, it's counted as a "field trip."

Branding is my favorite holiday!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,607,614 times
Were you looking for Nebraska to be the 1950's? Please.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:38 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,524,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Ask around.
In country schools, so long as the teacher shows up also, it's counted as a "field trip."

Branding is my favorite holiday!
Growing up this city kid had the pleasure of having relatives still on their Sandhill ranches... I was one of those lucky city kids that actually got to experience branding/calving... lots of great memories.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:57 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,213,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Were you looking for Nebraska to be the 1950's? Please.
Well, for better or worse (depending upon the day as well as my mood), there are plenty of places in Nebraska that are extremely old-fashioned.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska