Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 21,550 times

Advertisements

Hi, all, please help me out. any help is appreciated.

I just bought a used car on 15th March, didn't have a chance to go to DMV to register because of classes and assignments for the week and also no insurance because all 4 companies I called required me to have a valid license to get it insured, which i don't have currently. so I thought I should buy it on the Monday which I plan to go to DMV to take the driving test and at least get a learner's permit if I failed it.

Then I was just trying to test drive my "new" car around my apartment on the night of 16th March since it's my first car in the US. got pulled over by a cop for not turning the head light on, he asked me whether I have insurance or license. after finding out the truth, he told me that I will have to go to the court for 4 offenses:
1) no head light
2) no proof of ownership (the paperwork is at home, which is within 500 feet from the scene)
3) no license
4) no insurance.
I am an international student, didn't really know that the insurance is a must, but i do know that i need a license to drive anywhere in the world, that was my bad. I thought it's at night so just driving around shouldn't be a problem. at least I know now that i should never risk to do stuff which will break any US law.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated as I don't have any other means to get some information since it's Saturday. couldn't sleep at all last night as i'm graduating soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 10:32 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,719 times
Truly, it's not going to be a big deal so far as legal issues go. It might be a big deal so far as the fines...

Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 21,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Truly, it's not going to be a big deal so far as legal issues go. It might be a big deal so far as the fines...
Thank you so much for your reply. Fines are just fine as I have to take some consequences for what I did. what I am scared of is the record which will follow me forever and some possible time in jail because some say so and some say not while I was doing some research online.
Again, thank you, really appreciate it. a little bit relieved.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,719 times
No, I can guarantee there will be no jail time or record (well, other than your driving record when you finally DO get your license).
These are misdemeanor offenses.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:01 AM

370 posts, read 1,564,336 times
International Driver's License???

Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,189 times
Get a license and insurance before your court appearance. It will not get you off the hook but will show the judge you have taken the steps to abide by the law and will cause him/her to be more lenient.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,467 times
Doper1 hit it on the head, get your license and insurance before going to court, also make sure you take your purchase paper work for car along. If its past 30 days of purchase would also be a good idea to have it registered also. You won't get any jail time, a lecture from the judge more than likely.

You may want to talk to county prosecutor and show them you have made the necessary steps to make everything legal and tell them the circumstances, just maybe they will drop a charge.

Good luck to you and welcome.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:46 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhills Guru View Post
Doper1 hit it on the head, get your license and insurance before going to court, also make sure you take your purchase paper work for car along. If its past 30 days of purchase would also be a good idea to have it registered also. You won't get any jail time, a lecture from the judge more than likely.

You may want to talk to county prosecutor and show them you have made the necessary steps to make everything legal and tell them the circumstances, just maybe they will drop a charge.

Good luck to you and welcome.
Who you calling a Doper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska