Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
The average high in Omaha for Jan is 32 F, not 37 F. All the months average highs that you posted look a little too high as well (with the exception of Jun-Aug).
I will get my source for you this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I have seen way too many references of Nebraska to Siberia..
You have? Where?

Old 03-23-2012, 06:09 PM

350 posts, read 740,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
You have? Where?
Check out my post on the Nebraska Weather thread. I know Omahahonors doesn't like it but I meant it more as satire. The average January highs/lows in the mythical Saudistania are only about 20 degrees colder on average than where I live and the average July/August highs/lows are only about 12 degrees hotter on average than where I live. While I would never say that Nebraska has these highs/lows for a month period - I will say that particularly brutal weeks each year might come close these averages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Click to the right of my name

Old 03-23-2012, 06:20 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,547 times
Quote:
Check out my post on the Nebraska Weather thread. I know Omahahonors doesn't like it but I meant it more as satire. The average January highs/lows in the mythical Saudistania are only about 20 degrees colder on average than where I live and the average July/August highs/lows are only about 12 degrees hotter on average than where I live. While I would never say that Nebraska has these highs/lows for a month period - I will say that particularly brutal weeks each year might come close these averages.
I wouldn't call a single reference to a bizarre, fictionalized hypercontinental climate "way too many references of Nebraska to Siberia".

He's right to some extent though...a difference of 20 degrees for average temps is significant. Put another way, that's the same as the difference between average January highs in Raleigh and Toronto.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
I wouldn't call a single reference to a bizarre, fictionalized hypercontinental climate "way too many references of Nebraska to Siberia".

He's right to some extent though...a difference of 20 degrees for average temps is significant. Put another way, that's the same as the difference between average January highs in Raleigh and Toronto.
One it was satirized but two it would be nice if the averages stayed averages. For the past month or so the temperatures have been 20 degrees higher than normal, for all we know it could be a much colder winter next year (probably not 20 degrees on average colder), but its hard to say what the weather might do. There is something to be said about living in a state with winters as cold as Toronto (although not as humid and not as much snow) and summers as hot as Raleigh, NC. We don't catch the break on either end that some states get.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:42 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,328 times
Those average winter highs look more like Saint Joseph Missouri to me instead of Omaha, which is closer to the low 30s in and around January. But Omaha certainly is a fairly mild yet still four season climate with plenty of variety.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
One it was satirized but two it would be nice if the averages stayed averages. For the past month or so the temperatures have been 20 degrees higher than normal, for all we know it could be a much colder winter next year (probably not 20 degrees on average colder), but its hard to say what the weather might do. There is something to be said about living in a state with winters as cold as Toronto (although not as humid and not as much snow) and summers as hot as Raleigh, NC. We don't catch the break on either end that some states get.
Starting to sound like it's getting at you too much.. Is it possible that you are ready for a move?

Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Starting to sound like it's getting at you too much.. Is it possible that you are ready for a move?
No but you have a point that I'm starting to sound too much like the fellow Omahans you complain about!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
No but you have a point that I'm starting to sound too much like the fellow Omahans you complain about!
you are pretty funny, lol.

In truth though.. The more I hear people complain it honestly does tamper with my enthusiasm in an indirect way. I think I am beginning to realize this is what its always going to be like here which is why I want to move to a place where there is less of that negativity (not saying anybody is wrong). I just want to be around a place where people are more upbeat about where they live.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
you are pretty funny, lol.

In truth though.. The more I hear people complain it honestly does tamper with my enthusiasm in an indirect way. I think I am beginning to realize this is what its always going to be like here which is why I want to move to a place where there is less of that negativity (not saying anybody is wrong). I just want to be around a place where people are more upbeat about where they live.
Its not just Nebraska, I hated when I lived in South Carolina that I felt like people were so negative about the state they lived in. It doesn't help that the national media pretty much ignores Nebraska or that peoples' experience with Nebraska is driving through on I-80 and saying that it sucked - I wish we had a little better national image (see the Kansas self-esteem thread) but you are right that it gets tiring to hear people who are unhappy try to make people who are happy just as miserable as they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska