Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:56 PM

23 posts, read 72,426 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Nebraska all of my life and I will tell you Kearney, NE is the best city here in my opinion. Lincoln and Omaha do not have the same home town values and have alot more crime. Your children would also be happy in Kearney's schools, good teachers, individual attention.... We have alot of family in Columbus and I can tell you it is a VERY boring city. There is not even a mall, there is a small strip mall with a few stores but thats it. The one movie theater is also old and outdated, coming from CA you would soon find yourself bored to tears...
Nebraska is one of the very few states who have not been hit by the economy so yes the job market is very stable. 40 thousand could definatly give your family a normal and happy life out here, but you would have to live simple..
Finally, you will find most people out here are very friendly and tolerant of other peoples beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 11:07 AM

252 posts, read 733,007 times
(Nebraska Mom is correct that most Nebraskans are, actually, very tolerant. But, be wary of how busy our small communities are. The reason you may find yourself feeling excluded is that the average adult is working, has children at daycare, has extended family with high expectations--Grma's in the nursing home, cousins want a reunion, Uncle needs a visit and spouse won't go, school music programs, ball games....etc. etc. Often, newcomers or visitors are critical without realizing the reality. )

Aside from that, I thought you might be interested to know about a transitional program that many of our schools have. To fill shortages, in some areas, like foreign language, usually Spanish, it is possible that a school will hire a teacher who is endorsed in a different discipline and give you two years to fulfill the appropriate major. My local school has three secondary teachers, all excellent, who were degreed in another subject and sought the proper endorsement while teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska