U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 8,772 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am originally from eastern Nebraska and have lived out of state for a while and I am looking to relocate to possibly Scottsbluff since I have had a friend from there and I am told it is a good "out of the rat race" town. I have lived in Los Angeles to small South Carolina towns and everything in between. I have decided with crime rates and social issues that I am moving back to Nebraska soon, but want a change. Of course I am worried about employment first and foremost but I have a lot of skills to fall back on. I would like to hear from anyone living or recently living in Scottsbluff. Any info on rent prices in good areas (do they have studio's above downtown businesses?) how much and who should I contact, single life for a guy in his late 30's, boating activities, gyms, bars...etc. I grew up in a NE town of 8,000 so I know I can deal with the small population. Just looking for anyone's honest opinion on construction skilled jobs or something related. Thanks for your post's in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 09:12 PM

16 posts, read 98,330 times
Default Love to have you here!

We have lived near Scottsbluff for almost five years now, and we moved here from much larger areas. I work in Scottsbluff and like the area. Rent isn't bad, but there aren't many studios downtown yet. They are working on that but I haven't heard of any completed yet. There is a big demand for construction-related jobs right now. In Bridgeport, there is an ethanol plant under construction and they are looking for skilled people. In Scottsbluff, several large construction projects are underway or being planned. I've heard the pay is pretty good for this area. Your best source for information is probably one of the following web sites: Scottsbluff/Gering United Chamber of Commerce (for the Chamber) and wehavejobs.net - Home (a new job listing service sponsored by the eco dev group). If you need more info, you can reply directly to me.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:52 PM

3,043 posts, read 10,987,385 times
I've heard that there is supposed to be a prison built in Torrington, WY, which is very close to Scottsbluff. This might be useful if you're looking for construction work. That's about all I know about it, so I can't give any further details.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 13,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxton69t View Post
Hello, I am originally from eastern Nebraska and have lived out of state for a while and I am looking to relocate to possibly Scottsbluff since I have had a friend from there and I am told it is a good "out of the rat race" town. I have lived in Los Angeles to small South Carolina towns and everything in between. I have decided with crime rates and social issues that I am moving back to Nebraska soon, but want a change. Of course I am worried about employment first and foremost but I have a lot of skills to fall back on. I would like to hear from anyone living or recently living in Scottsbluff. Any info on rent prices in good areas (do they have studio's above downtown businesses?) how much and who should I contact, single life for a guy in his late 30's, boating activities, gyms, bars...etc. I grew up in a NE town of 8,000 so I know I can deal with the small population. Just looking for anyone's honest opinion on construction skilled jobs or something related. Thanks for your post's in advance!
I have lived in Scottsbluff now for about 6 months. I like it a lot, but I'm married with kids. For a family its a great place. Good schools, lots of parks, fishing, a zoo, etc. I hear that its not so great for singles, but I have no firsthand knowledge on that. I use the YMCA gym and its great. Lake Minatare is only about 15 minutes away and it is great for boating. There are also several reservoirs in surrounding areas. We're not too far from Cheyenne (1.5 hours) or Fort Collins (2.5 hours) if you need more shopping. What I like is that the area has a small-town feel to it yet the community serves the whole panhandle so we have a lot of stores (Home Depot, Super Wal-Mart, J.C. Penny's, etc.), a community college, and a nice regional hospital. As far as the employment aspect, I know the area is in need of more employees. However, most openings may be for lower paying jobs like store clerks and cashiers. I was recruited out here so I did not have to go on a job hunt, but best of luck to you.

Oh, I know the county is hiring corrections officers, and they have a nice new jail opening soon. I don't know if that's something that would interest you. The county website has a few openings posted. Go to scottsbluffcounty.org.

Last edited by ElGuapo; 09-27-2007 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 10-08-2007, 08:51 AM

11 posts, read 45,009 times
Default Glad for the inquiry

I currently live in Scottsbluff and moved back after being away for several years. This is a great place to live, work and play. Moderator cut: advertising
There is a prison being built in Torrington. The contractor for that project is Heggem Construction. You can contact them at 308-630-0855, as I know they are currently hiring. Please feel free to email me if I can be of any assistance helping you to secure employment or to find a rental in our community.

Best Regards,

Last edited by Keeper; 10-08-2007 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: send DM with your contact information

Old 02-07-2008, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 8,457 times
Smile Hi Darla

I read your reply to someone else who is thinking about moving to Scottsbluff area and our family may be moving there this summer. I want to connect with someone out there and make friends possibly. We have been out there for a weekend and my husband worked there for a little while last summer and liked the place. I am skeptical but warming to the idea. We live in Denver area and I like the house we are in but not the neighborhood so much. Could we carry on a conversation about Scottsbluff? Please email me with your reply. [EMAIL="xxenigma23@aol.com"]xxenigma23@aol.com[/EMAIL] Thanks, Tamara

Old 04-16-2009, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,712 times
Does anyone know my girlfriends Parents who reside in Scottsbluff, The Daggetts?

Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,354,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeko54 View Post
Does anyone know my girlfriends Parents who reside in Scottsbluff, The Daggetts?
C-D people search

Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,871 times
hi my name is lilia i have been there many times in the last 3 months its a beautifull place, from friends that live there they say its the place to raise kids. You could try the sugar plant i here they are hiring too. I am a single mom and also looking for work in the medical feild so if any one has tips let me know.I am also fimliar to the town so am looking for new friends as well.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:44 PM

615 posts, read 1,251,326 times
From Wikipedia:
"For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.1 males."

Is Scottsbluff not simply a town "not great for singles", but one that is "not great for single women, but great for single men"?

What explains that huge gender difference? Is there a womens' prison or womens' college there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska