Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Later this week I'm going to be in Lincoln, so I'm trying to do a bit of legwork on places to eat in the downtown area, especially in the UNL vicinity.

There's not much mentioned on this forum: the most recent thread on restaurants in Lincoln is a bit old:

//www.city-data.com/forum/nebra...coln-eats.html

I'm interested in hearing about all sorts of cuisines, atmospheres, and price ranges, but I'm especially interested in the following:

1. "vintage" places, like ice cream parlors, hamburger stands, old diners, etc. I've read a bit about the Hi-Way Diner--any opinions? Is it even anywhere near downtown or UNL? Are there other vintage or divey places to visit?

2. Local or "Nebraska" food. I already know about Runza, but is there anything else that reflects the state's heritage or locally sourced foods? Is there a "can't miss" steakhouse?

3. International cuisine. I've read about various Indian places (Sher-e-Punjab, The Oven), but what else is there? Any Thai around downtown? Eastern European? South American? Korean?

Other recs are appreciated, too. I'd also like to hear about good places for coffee and pastry in the morning.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 AM

704 posts, read 1,871,231 times
My favortie Place to eat in Lincoln is Lazlo's in the Haymarket, (close to UNL) it's a gourmet brewpub. Across the street you can hit up Ivanna Cone for dessert, homemeade ice cream (YUM). Both are in great historic locations.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Hi All,

Later this week I'm going to be in Lincoln, so I'm trying to do a bit of legwork on places to eat in the downtown area, especially in the UNL vicinity.

There's not much mentioned on this forum: the most recent thread on restaurants in Lincoln is a bit old:

//www.city-data.com/forum/nebra...coln-eats.html

I'm interested in hearing about all sorts of cuisines, atmospheres, and price ranges, but I'm especially interested in the following:

1. "vintage" places, like ice cream parlors, hamburger stands, old diners, etc. I've read a bit about the Hi-Way Diner--any opinions? Is it even anywhere near downtown or UNL? Are there other vintage or divey places to visit?

2. Local or "Nebraska" food. I already know about Runza, but is there anything else that reflects the state's heritage or locally sourced foods? Is there a "can't miss" steakhouse?

3. International cuisine. I've read about various Indian places (Sher-e-Punjab, The Oven), but what else is there? Any Thai around downtown? Eastern European? South American? Korean?

Other recs are appreciated, too. I'd also like to hear about good places for coffee and pastry in the morning.

Thanks!
I can't help much because I eat 99% of my meals at home. The only regular exception is my weekly lunch at the HiWay Diner. It is a long ways from the UNL campus. It is on Hwy 2 and about 22nd street. They don't take orders at the table. You order at the counter and the waitresses will bring it to your table. They are open 24/7 and serve one of the best breakfasts in town 24/7.

For lunch I usually order their Chicken Fried Steak with a small bowl of Chili and Fries on the side. The items my friends order always look and smell great but I am a creature of habit so I stick to the CFS. I cannot stand to drink anything but Diet Coke so I never order their fountain drinks (Pepsi). They look the other way when I bring in my own Diet Coke so no problem. They are very reasonably priced and other than having to wait in lines to order everything is OK.

One thing you might want to remember: Avoid like the plague from 2 AM to 4AM. Lincoln bars close at 2AM and a huge number of inebriated patrons head to the Hwy Diner to chow down. Unless your tolerance level for drunks is very high you don't want to be there.

GL2

Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 PM

31 posts, read 85,861 times
Misty's Steakhouse is worth going to, although I've never been to the downtown location, just the one in Havelock. Their prime rib is about as good as it gets. Also try a cup of their seafood bisque.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
So far I've been to Lazlo's, The Oven (Indian), Sher-E-Punjab (also Indian), and Runza. Everything has been quite tasty.

But the real treat so far has been Ivanna Cone. Holy cr@p, is that good. Tonight I had a scoop of toffee and pepitas and a scoop of peach-lavender. I was expecting a kind of hyped-up version of the usual "gourmet" ice cream, but this was the real deal--fresh, creamy, flavorful. It's a good thing I leave in a couple of days, as this place could get quite addictive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska