Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:18 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,402,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralleia View Post
The area of Bellevue from 25th to 36th streets (east to west) and between Capehart and Platteview roads (north to south) is quite nice and virtually teeming with active duty and military retirees. It was the nicest neighborhood I've ever lived in. Just in my little cul-de-sac we had Air Force (me), retired Air Force, two retired Navy and one active duty Marine.

My gorgeous 3000 sq-foot house was about $180,000 back then (five years ago). Fortunately for you it is a buyers market at the moment with a number of houses sitting on the market due to tightening mortgages and other factors.

"Old Town Bellevue" on the east side of the base is less expensive with smaller houses, but I am not confident about the neighborhoods there.

Papillion/La Vista/Ralston are quite high-priced, though nice areas. It is also a longer drive to the base.

I would NOT recommend Plattsmouth, the town where I now live that is 16 miles south of Offutt. We have neighborhood stalkers harassing my family and the day care across the street and talk to police and prosecutors regularly. I expect to be in court next week to testify as a witness. An exception to the Plattsmouth warning would be the extreme north portion (Buccaneer Bay area). It's far from Plattsmouth town center and has a lot of nice houses.

I've lived in the area about ten years now--my husband is retired Navy currently working as a govt civilian on the base; I'm a former Air Force comm officer then govt civilian now stay-at-home mom/engineering student. Feel free to email me directly if you would like information on different suburbs.

-Kris

Oops--meant to give you this website that has a lot of home listings to give you an idea what to expect: Home
We lived in that area (between 25th and 36th, south of Capehart and just north of Schneekloth) from 2001 to 2004 and LOVED it. It is a very safe area and convenient for getting to Offutt.

*Ralleia, based on what you wrote, I think my husband worked with your husband at Stratcom! My husband is now at the Pentagon, but we wish we were back in Omaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,246 times
Wink Moving to Offutt

Hi CJ!

Have you thought about contacting a local realtor for help? A lot of times they can send you relocation packets with information on the area and rental and/or for sale information. I am a realtor in the area (about 10 minutes from Offutt AFB) and would be glad to help in anyway I can. I have worked with tons of military families either moving in or out of the area. I have lived here my whole life, so I know the area pretty well. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:16 AM

13 posts, read 37,943 times
I don't know if base housing is even a consideration... but it should be made known that Offutt is building/rebuilding ALL NEW units ( http://www.afcommunities.com ).

Bellevue is a fine community as well... don't count it out... it has the same broad range of housing options... both new and existing... which Papillion/La Vista have.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:05 PM

482 posts, read 2,225,299 times
Even if base housing is not available right away CJ your husband will be required to check into the base housing office. His name will be placed on a waiting list and when a housing unit opens up you most likely will have to move in to the housing unit. They have built new housing units and they are always upgrading the ones that they already have.

Once you get there there is guest housing that you can stay at until you both find something. These are nice motel like living with kitchens. There will be a base shuttle bus that will take you to any where on the base that you will want to go to.

Either way that you will have to go your first stop to check on housing should be base housing as they have listings that you both will be able to check out. They will give you advise on the area and where good safe housing is at in the area. You will find the area around Offutt to be a very nice area to live in.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,565 times
What is Offutt Base housing like? We will be relocating in August of 2011.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:42 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,982,518 times
Hi, you might find this information useful, there are some photos in the second link. Bellevue is a nice community. Best of luck on your move.

Factsheets : Offutt Air Force Base Housing Information
Rising View - A Bellevue/Offutt Community Nebraska NE

Old 02-26-2011, 06:18 PM

306 posts, read 714,062 times
Bellevue, Papillion and La Vista are great areas to live in. They are very quiet communities and safe since the police departments are smaller and seem to be more proactive. Also, all three cities have attracted some major shopping and entertainment development projects over the past few years, which is only a plus. In addition, you're not too far from Omaha and what it has to offer.

I can't vouch for the base housing since I don't know anyone who has lived there since the 1970's.

Overall, I think you'll be happy living in the Omaha metro area. Good luck with whatever you find.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,517 times
I currently live at the Overlook Apartments located at 25th and 370 in Bellevue, NE right down the way from Offutt. I recently purchased a home and looking for someone to take over my apartment lease which includes a law enforcement discount. The lease is from April - Sept. with the option to renew the lease. The apartment is on the second floor, two full bedrooms, two full baths, garage across from apartment, pets allowed. Utilities run me no more than $75.00 a month. With discount the monthly rent is $698.00. Please email me if interested or need more details. Best of luck!!! [email]andymahan@hotmail.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska