Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 11:38 PM
J&T J&T started this thread

20 posts, read 26,656 times

Advertisements

So my step-dad is a US citizen and he, my mom & my brother are moving back to the US in July & I'm going with them - I'm also a uni student here but I thought I'd go on an exchange to finish my course while I'm there. So out of my partner uni options, UNL seemed like the best choice.

So now I'm moving to Lincoln for 6 months - a year (still haven't sorted out a second semester, but first is sorted). I've been reading very mixed opinions on Lincoln, and it's worrying.

I've previously spent 18 months living in Vancouver, Canada a few years ago, so relocating and moving isn't new to me, that's the exciting part. Although! I wasn't alone when I moved to Canada, nor did I have a dog to worry about.

First off, apartment vs. house? Pros and cons? I've come across some house rentals that have 1-2 bedrooms, and (some) have fenced yards. I've been looking at places under $800 p/m. Obviously closer around the $600 mark is ideal, but if it's perfect then I'm willing to go up a little. So these houses I'm finding occasionally seem to be cheaper than a lot of apartments I've found.

I'm finding it difficult to find suitable rental properties for me and my dog. Most apartments say small dogs under 25lb, but mine is a smaller sized medium dog, but he's 44lb. Another issue is the whole shared entrances/hallways in apartments - I don't like that much. My dog has had some bad encounters with people - my neighbor hit him for barking at a cat in our driveway months ago and he's been very, very fearful of men/strangers ever since, and his fear can come off as aggressive, cause that's the only way he thinks he can get the "bad thing to go away". It's something we are working on, slowly. We'll be getting a new behaviorist once we get there for more work/training. So this is another reason I'd sort of prefer a house over an apartment. The privacy/space, not as much risk of potential problems with dog vs. strangers.

BUT - I don't know how legit these places listed on craigslist are. I mean, it could be a scam, and I have no idea. Or the area could be downright terrible, and again, I'd have no idea until I'd already be stuck living there on a lease contract. And the benefit of apartments is other people around, people to help etc, where as in a house you're kind of on your own. I'm a 21y/o female, but I apparently look like I'm 14. So I don't know how safe I'll be in a house rather than an apartment... Except I do feel pretty safe with my dog haha

I'm stressing a bit (okay, a lot). The fact I'm going to be brand new to the US, no job (have savings), a dog, and no credit rating or anything, it's worrying. I don't like my odds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,789 times
I've seen a few of your threads after stumbling on this site,so I thought i'd help ya out seeing as I have lived here my whole life. When looking for a pet friendly hotel for a week til you find a place to rent I would try Motel 6 or Comfort Inn near the airport here. Both are near a bunch of student housing options, both Houses and Apts. And there also is a dog park about 1 mile east of the hotels I mentioned, at Oak Lake Park. Also if you are leaning towards a house or duplex with a fenced yard, the neighborhood I grew up in is relatively cheap, not bad on crime at all(except for the stuff teenagers do... them damn kids lol) and near lotsa outdoor space you can take your dog. Its called Airpark or Arnold Heights and usually has open places. Most owned and rented out by Lincoln Housing Authority.(I think.lol) I haven't lived in a duplex down there for 16yrs but I'm only a mile or so away so I know the area well. Its almost a smaller city within a city being as its on the far west of the town with the airport between it and downtown.(Not a busy airport so airplane noise is a non-factor) There is also a grocery store and gas station along with a few other shops and food places out in front of the neighborhood. Drive time to UNL would be about 15min or so but the area is way quieter and safer than most of the areas near campus. Hope this helps you find what you are looking for! And if you have any other questions feel free to post here or Msg me and ask.

Last edited by DBJenkins; 05-05-2013 at 02:39 AM..

Old 05-06-2013, 03:52 AM
J&T J&T started this thread

20 posts, read 26,656 times
Thanks for your reply

I had a look at prices for the motels, but much too expensive for me on a budget unfortunately! I'm thinking car camping at a campsite maybe? Much cheaper... should work? :S Haha.

At this point I'm definitely after a house/duplex rather than an apartment. It's not easy to find a fenced yard though, and very hard to find privacy fencing unfortunately! Haha teenagers :P. I saw a few places in Airpark that seemed good, just a tad over my budget but completely privacy fenced and everything. But still a bit too early for me anyways, few months to go! Hopefully something perfect pops up soon! What's Lincoln Housing Authority? Is it good/bad? :S. I like airports & planes... So I wouldn't mind being near an airport actually, thankfully a small one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska