U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:40 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,655,976 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are looking to move to a place that has access to a lot of horse riding opportunities and where land may be cheaper than in other, more popular places in the country.

In that direction, Chadron popped up due to its proximity to National forests, grasslands and South Dakota which has even more riding opportunities.

Are we correct in the above assumption(s)? If so, what else can you tell me about Chadron? For example, how much can we expect to pay for acreage? We don't need much - maybe 10-20 acres.

Is there decent high speed Internet available there (I work from home)? How about medical care? We are not elderly but just curious. From cursory searches I see crime seems to be very low - does the data accurately depict the situation on the ground?

It seems like Chadron is 55 miles to Hot Springs, SD and Hot Springs seems (to me) to be a retirement community. Has Hot Springs been gentrified? Is land in Chadron going to be (much) cheaper than in Hot Springs?

Finally, how about the weather? Can we expect to be snowed in for 6 months of the year? Or is it possible to conduct outdoors activities during the cold winters, horseback or not?

We are planning a trip in the next month or so to the general area but getting all the information ahead of time will let us better decide on where to focus.

Thanks!
LL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 12:00 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,660,753 times
Chadron is a horseman's paradise. There's plenty of public riding places (no national forests, but there are two STATE parks within 30 miles...Chadron State Park, and and Fort Robinson State Park near Crawford).

Not sure where you're from to give a comparison, but Chadron will have their first snow in late September/early October. It'll be cold, but not North Dakota-cold. Most of the time, there'll be some snow on the ground. Depth will depend on year. Your big snows will be Feb-April.
Yes, you can ride most of the winter. I did when I lived there. There are days when you'll want to be bareback, though, to be warmer! lol

Land will depend on where you're at. If you're down in the trees, close to town, it'll be higher. Up on the flats/out on the prairie will be cheaper. For specific numbers, just hit the local realtor's websites. It'll be far more accurate than those national sites (where people shoot for the moon. lol)

Yes, decent high speed is available. It's a college town. Communication is important. And yes, the hospital is a good rural hospital. But, it's a town of 5,000. It won't have every service available, but many will come in from other areas for periodic clinics.

Hot Springs is a nice town if you were to choose to live there though yes, the population is aging. That's true of most smaller towns on the central plains. (Chadron is kept younger because of the college). And land will be higher because you're now closer to the Black Hills and therefore more desirable.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:46 PM

Thanks!

We are trying to avoid the gentrified places - esp. ones that are retirement heavens for folks from everywhere else moving in and raising property taxes, demanding development etc. You know, the places you see the 60+ year old crowd in classic corvettes etc...

When you say cold, how cold? We would be moving from North Texas.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 PM

*chuckle*

Colder than North Texas. You can go hunt up the data here at CD.
Otherwise, it's just an experience thing...
It's colder than down here in northern Kansas, but warmer than southern North Dakota.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:53 PM

22,222 posts, read 38,781,087 times
It's odd because Scottsbluff is situated at a higher elevation than Chadron but often has milder temperatures. Usually it is because of chinook winds off the Rockies. Chadron is a bit more exposed to the polar fronts coming down from the Dakotas, but can also get a good amount of chinook winds as well- so it depends on the weather pattern during any given winter. Precipitation is low as well as snowfall (with the exception of a few storms). It is a semi-arid climate... Lots of sunny days if that is important.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Thank you all for your replies!

Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 AM

370 posts, read 1,218,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Chadron is a horseman's paradise. There's plenty of public riding places (no national forests, but there are two STATE parks within 30 miles...Chadron State Park, and and Fort Robinson State Park near Crawford).
The Nebraska National Forest, Pine Ridge District is located near Chadron, and directly adjacent to Chadron State Park. Horseback riding is permitted there too.

Nebraska National Forests and Grasslands - Home

Nebraska National Forests and Grasslands - Horse Riding & Camping:Horse Riding

Old 06-10-2013, 08:48 PM

You're right. I'd forgotten that it was a National forest. I was thinking McKelvie and Halsey were the only ones in Nebraska...

Old 06-10-2013, 09:46 PM

15,164 posts, read 25,968,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Thanks!

We are trying to avoid the gentrified places - esp. ones that are retirement heavens for folks from everywhere else moving in and raising property taxes, demanding development etc. You know, the places you see the 60+ year old crowd in classic corvettes etc...

When you say cold, how cold? We would be moving from North Texas.

I do not think that you will find many people flocking to Western Nebraska for their retirement. First, the climate is not attractive to MOST retirees. Second, Nebraska is generally considered to be in the bottom ten in terms of being "retirement friendly".

As for the Corvette comments, you may see quite a few of them on weekends. Many of the ranchers and farmers have their toys.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,079 posts, read 45,168,934 times
Corvettes? Don't think there are any Corvettes here (nearby), but I thought the park / attraction was for sale The official website for Carhenge

You should be able to carry on with 'normal' activities 60 - 70% of the winter.

The snow comes and goes, but is usually HORIZONTAL, (which is important to know when you buy a property.) You don't want a house where the garage is opposite the windward side of house, as driveway might fill CLEAR up with snow, tho there is none on the windward side of house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska