U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:13 PM

95 posts, read 329,356 times

Advertisements

I am looking to accept a job in Sidney NE but coming from a big city like Southern California(Los Angeles County)I am not sure what I am getting myself into. Can anyone tell me about Sidney or places around there that are good & safe for kids, schools and life.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM

17,113 posts, read 22,501,425 times
Crazy 8- I'm going totry to steer you on to a thread that last was used in August. There is some information I think you could use.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:50 PM

95 posts, read 329,356 times
Thanks Double H...just looked up the city on Google Earth and I think I will be in for a culture shock...I am not used to a small town

Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 AM

9 posts, read 26,242 times
There seem to be two cultures in Sidney - Cabela's and the rest. This can be a difficult town if you don't work for Cabela's, or don't come from the area and have family here, or have different opinions. Keep your mouth shut if you have any progressive or liberal ideas, or even just good ideas. Particularly at the community college. The town in general, and the community college in particular, is conservative and anti-intellectual. Don't talk politics (unless you are a conservative Republican, don't let people know you are against the war (if you are), don't say anything different than the views put forth on news channels like FOX, and do not get into any discussions involving water rights unless you have the same opinion as Nebraska farmers. People will be out to get you, otherwise, to the extent of false accusations and slander. And they will succeed with their lies, however farcical and ridiculous, because they are the old-timers and you are a newcomer, and it is better to drive out the newcomer, even if the old-timer has a reputation of paranoia. It is said people are friendly in small towns - they are friendly enough on the surface here, but can be really, really cruel if they don't like you. The community at Cabela's is probably OK, since many of them are newcomers, and it is a large enough business that you can find like-minded friends and don't need to foolishly try to make friends with those who have been here longer. There is no recourse to the cruelty that can be done against you - you are the newcomer.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:12 PM

45 posts, read 185,892 times
I live in western Nebraska, born and raised here in fact. I have lived other places as well. The thing to remeber in any small town is that you have to deal with the people in that town. In a city you can find people of your own mindset to be around, maybe not in a small town.
Do not get turned off of Sidney because of this. Just do not blow in to town trying to change things, (you can do this a work just not in the community). Learn about the people in the community and try to earn their respect. Do not get involed in community politics until you understand them.
You will find as a learn about the community that their is much more diversity of thought than many people belive, and that people will accept you. Just DO NOT come off as beliving you are better than them.
Adam

Old 12-02-2007, 06:40 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,803,078 times
Quote:
Do not get involed in community politics until you understand them.
Very well put Adam, this is the best advice anyone could give a newcomer to a small community.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:01 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,681,264 times
I think Adam nailed it, too.

I'm pretty liberal (at least by Nebraska standards. lol) and I don't hesitate to stand by what I believe and have even been known to express my opinion now and again!

However, living in a small town and swimming against the current means you need to be more tactful and respectful of other opinions. (Even if others don't do the same for you!) I've noticed conservatives in this state tend to assume everyone agrees with them, because most of the time they're right. lol
"oh, I don't know about that..." with a half-smile has been my stand-by. It shows that I disagree, but that I don't think my opinion is somehow superior to yours. Know what I mean?

So far as water issues, it's best to just keep your mouth shut on that one unless you actually have a dog in that fight. It's becoming a very divisive issue. In my neck of the woods (the Republican valley), it's groundwater irrigators vs. surface water irrigators & non-irrigators (ranchers, dry-land farmers and town people). And it gets a little heated on occasion...

But all in all, Sydney (and any other small town) is going to be a good place to raise a family. A good place to slow down and enjoy life. Get involved with your new community. Join the volunteer FD, a church, the Jaycees... Anything to get out and meet people and make ties. You'll be much happier if you do.

--Erin

Last edited by itsMeFred; 12-03-2007 at 06:29 PM..

Old 12-06-2007, 05:53 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,102,981 times
To me, Sidney didn't even seem like a regular small town, it was SO far out in the middle of nowhere it was unbelievable, literally nothing is close, the people were strange, and service at restaurants is sooo sloww. Everytime we spend the night there they have tornado warnings too, very...little house on the prarie, if you will.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:52 PM

45 posts, read 185,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer1010 View Post
To me, Sidney didn't even seem like a regular small town, it was SO far out in the middle of nowhere it was unbelievable, literally nothing is close, the people were strange, and service at restaurants is sooo sloww. Everytime we spend the night there they have tornado warnings too, very...little house on the prarie, if you will.
I am not sure where you are from, but you are not from around here are you? (no insult intended).

If you think Sidney is in the middle of no where, come visit Rushville, or Crawford, or Harrison. Heck Sidney is our breakfast stop on the way to Denver or Colorado Springs.

Restaurant service, ya I can belive it is not up to par with great resturants in larger citys. But most of the time I tend to feel is is OK in most restaurant in most small towns.

As far as tornados, that is just part of life in this part of the world. You learn to deal with it, or you don't. If you are going to move into tornado alley, read up on tornados.

Adam

Old 12-07-2007, 07:53 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,681,264 times
And compared to the rest of Nebraska, tornados in Sidney are pretty rare...
For that matter Adam, the towns you mentioned aren't in "the middle of nowhere" either, though they are considerably closer to it than Sidney. Head south about 30 miles from any of them. Then we're getting pretty close to "nowhere." lol

Any town in the western 2/3s of Nebraska that is big enough to support a WalMart is going to be an important town beemer. It's a trade center...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska