Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 PM

177 posts, read 458,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
You have to remember that Lincoln, NE is a small town. Most folks on here have never lived in a big city so they have nothing to compare Lincoln too. Lincoln has no tall buildings, there is no shopping other than chain Wal-marts, Hy-Vee grocery stores and Home Depot's. You will need a car. You can drive from one end of Lincoln to the other in 5-10 minutes N, S, E, W, and end up in a corn field.

YOur best bet is to just buy a house in the south west part of town. Good resale value.

One more thing Lincoln, Ne is very cliquei.
Well, well Happy...I didn't know you were also an expert on Lincoln! I must admit, though, I agree with you on most of your statements, but I have a few amendments:

(1) Most people who live in Lincoln have never lived in a big city. That may not necessarily be true when referring to the people on the forum.

(2) The capitol building is a fairly tall building. But I've been informed that there is a rule in Lincoln that no other building is allowed to surpass its height, hence no other tall buildings.

(3) You are very close to correct on the shopping options...mostly chains. There are some local mom & pop type specialty places with some interesting items, but you have to look for them and be prepared to pay more.

(4) Completely agree about the need for a car unless you are in excellent physical shape and choose to use a bike to get around if the bus system is not adequate (which in most cases it isn't)

(5) Disagree with you on the 5-10 minutes statement. Maybe this works from the center of town, but not from one end to the other. Anyone going from West 20th street out to East 84th street should give themselves at least 20 minutes, LOL

(6) Although Lincoln is a college town, it also has a large senior community. I would have to say that the cliques in Lincoln primarily exist with those who are over the age of 50, although they can be very friendly people...just not friendly enough to invite you in to their crowd. The 30 and 40-something crowds are too busy working and raising their families to worry about status and being cliquey. The young crowd is super-friendly, laid back and fun!

By the way, The Saab hasn't made any other posts since the first post last year, so I doubt he is still looking at this forum for information on Lincoln.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 07:59 PM

737 posts, read 1,915,925 times
Sales trips to Lincoln, NE twice a week for 8 years. I know a few things about lincoln.

2) The capitol building is a fairly tall building. But I've been informed that there is a rule in Lincoln that no other building is allowed to surpass its height, hence no other tall buildings.

When I talk about tall buildings I mean this.....

And this.....

Not this.......

Or even this.........

Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 PM

737 posts, read 1,915,925 times
By the way, The Saab hasn't made any other posts since the first post last year, so I doubt he is still looking at this forum for information on Lincoln.

I know.......but someone has to spice things up on this ghost-town forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: