Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 AM

13 posts, read 35,238 times

Advertisements

I've got a couple of kind of crazy questions from a Texan who is considering a move to Nebraska and would really appreciate your help!

1. Are there different climate zones within the state, ie certain areas that are generally warmer / cooler, areas that get more / less precipitation?

2. What areas of the state have the most corn fields. Odd inquiry I know, but I love the picturesque scenery of corn fields

Basically, I'm looking for a small to mid sized town (pop 5,000 to 50,000) that would be somewhat rural but not too far removed from everything. I grew up in Redwood Falls, MN to give you some idea of the kind of place I would like to explore if you're at all familiar with it.

Thanks for any help you can provide before I drive up to do my own search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Eastern Nebraska (Omaha and Lincoln) is pretty much just like the rest of the agricultural midwest: Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, etc. with humidity, cold winters, hot summers.

Once you're about 100 miles west of Lincoln, it begins looking more western and less midwestern. The climate gets progressively drier as you go from Kearney towards the Colorado and Wyoming state lines. West of North Platte, it's semiarid.

If it's cornfields you love, the area between Lincoln and Grand Island is where they're probably the thickest. But all along the Platte River valley, there's enough water for corn farming even west of there. A more isolated but very scenic part of the state is the Sand Hills, in the north-central area. Rolling grass plains with big cattle ranches, small river valleys, small towns, and lots of wildlife. Like stepping back in time a few decades.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 18,608 times
I'd recommend Kearney and Hastings.

Hastings: City of about 25k. About 1.5 hours from Lincoln. 20 minutes from I-80. Plenty of fields and even cattle pasture in the area. About as far as you can get before being 'west'. Has a nice little university.

Kearney: About 35k. Very similar to Hastings aside from the location and college. University of Nebraska-Kearney is here and is a much larger than Hastings college. All of the pros and cons of having a college in your town are amplified here. There aren't as many cornfields here. This is where the Sandhills begin. It's on I-80 and about 3 hours from Lincoln.

If these are too far from a large city I'd say check out Columbus, Wahoo or Fremont. In my opinion these aren't as nice as the other two cities but it's closer to the Omaha/Council Bluffs metro.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:03 PM

8 posts, read 59,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefan17 View Post
I've got a couple of kind of crazy questions from a Texan who is considering a move to Nebraska and would really appreciate your help!

1. Are there different climate zones within the state, ie certain areas that are generally warmer / cooler, areas that get more / less precipitation?

2. What areas of the state have the most corn fields. Odd inquiry I know, but I love the picturesque scenery of corn fields

Basically, I'm looking for a small to mid sized town (pop 5,000 to 50,000) that would be somewhat rural but not too far removed from everything. I grew up in Redwood Falls, MN to give you some idea of the kind of place I would like to explore if you're at all familiar with it.

Thanks for any help you can provide before I drive up to do my own search!
My ex wife came from Nebraska, and I've spent quite a lot of time there, particularly in the panhandle region. Western NE is VERY dry, especially compared to central and eastern NE. The farther west you go, the more wind you encounter also. If you like corn fields, central and western NE have no shortage of them. As far as a town that fits your criteria, check out Alliance or maybe Chadron.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:32 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
Take a map of the state and draw a line through the center. The area east of that line especially along the Platte River Valley will have the crop land you are seeking.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 14,064 times
Along I-80 and Highway 30 through Central NE, you'll see some good thunderstorms in the Spring. The panhandle is a bit more dry and has some rolling hills. I-80 follows the Platte River, and the land is relatively flat along this part of the state relative to the hills and ranch land in the northern half to the state. Most of the corn is going to be along the interstate as well. As you head east towards Lincoln you'll start to get into more hills covered in corn or soybeans.

Most towns between 5-50k will all be along I-80 or Hwy 30. On the smaller end you've got places like Gothenburg, Cozad, York, Seward, Central City, Columbus, Norfolk, and Fremont. Then around 50k you've got Grand Island, and 30k you've got Kearney.

If you enjoy lake recreation, you should consider Ogallala with Lake McConaughy, Gothenburg or North Platte for Johnson Lake, Lexington for Jeffrey Lake. There is also medicine valley and harlan county reservoir.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:59 PM

84 posts, read 123,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR13 View Post
Along I-80 and Highway 30 through Central NE, you'll see some good thunderstorms in the Spring. The panhandle is a bit more dry and has some rolling hills. I-80 follows the Platte River, and the land is relatively flat along this part of the state relative to the hills and ranch land in the northern half to the state. Most of the corn is going to be along the interstate as well. As you head east towards Lincoln you'll start to get into more hills covered in corn or soybeans.

Most towns between 5-50k will all be along I-80 or Hwy 30. On the smaller end you've got places like Gothenburg, Cozad, York, Seward, Central City, Columbus, Norfolk, and Fremont. Then around 50k you've got Grand Island, and 30k you've got Kearney.

If you enjoy lake recreation, you should consider Ogallala with Lake McConaughy, Gothenburg or North Platte for Johnson Lake, Lexington for Jeffrey Lake. There is also medicine valley and harlan county reservoir.
Johnson Lake is a lot closer to Lexington than Gothenburg or North Platte. Lake Maloney would be near North Platte.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:32 PM

553 posts, read 595,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR13 View Post
Lake Jeffery is due south of Brady and so is a lot closer to Gothernburg than it is to Lexington. Incidently, Lake Jeffery is in Conroy Canyon, not Jeffery Canyon, but by the time the Government (it was a Depression-era "stimulus" program) discovered the error it would have cost too much to change all the paperwork so it remained Lake Jeffery.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:42 PM

553 posts, read 595,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Eastern Nebraska (Omaha and Lincoln) is pretty much just like the rest of the agricultural midwest: Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, etc. with humidity, cold winters, hot summers.

Once you're about 100 miles west of Lincoln, it begins looking more western and less midwestern. The climate gets progressively drier as you go from Kearney towards the Colorado and Wyoming state lines. West of North Platte, it's semiarid.

If it's cornfields you love, the area between Lincoln and Grand Island is where they're probably the thickest. But all along the Platte River valley, there's enough water for corn farming even west of there. A more isolated but very scenic part of the state is the Sand Hills, in the north-central area. Rolling grass plains with big cattle ranches, small river valleys, small towns, and lots of wildlife. Like stepping back in time a few decades.
On the south side of the Platte Valley--especially between North Platte and Lexington--you will find the less well-known but more rugged Clay Hills.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM

34 posts, read 53,612 times
Can someone tell me if the corn fields in the West side make it humid? It seems like they would?? I'm also looking for a less humid area to move. I currently on the East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska