Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,321,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old General View Post
Do you want to live in the country, but close to a city?
Basically, yes.

Quote:
If you want more of a farm/ranch feel, go west or south of Omaha. If you want more hilly, rugged, wooded areas, go north of Omaha.
Hilly/wooded "wood" probably be my preference, but I would think that wide open flat spaces are pretty much everywhere there.

Quote:
And don't forget that there are a LOT of nice places in Iowa, that are very close to Omaha.
For some reason, not interested in Iowa.

Quote:
I would recommend flying into Omaha some time, renting a car, and just driving around the countryside getting a feel for the area.
Am very seriously considering just doing that....flying out there for a few days and just checking it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 12:40 PM

152 posts, read 243,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Basically, yes.

Hilly/wooded "wood" probably be my preference, but I would think that wide open flat spaces are pretty much everywhere there.

For some reason, not interested in Iowa.

Am very seriously considering just doing that....flying out there for a few days and just checking it out.
Far eastern Nebraska - pretty much all along the Missouri River, is actually rather hilly. You'll find rugged rural terrain all the way from Sioux City, down to Brownville.

And you might be surprised by the terrain around Omaha - especially to the North. This picture is looking south, at the Omaha "skyline" from north of the city.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 PM

84 posts, read 138,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Indian Cave State Park, in the southeast corner of Nebraska along the Missouri River, easily has the best hilly terrain (with deciduous trees) in the state. So you wouldn't want to live too far away from it. Along the Platte River, between Lincoln and Omaha, are also some other state parks with similar (but not so dramatic) scenery, like Schramm, Mahoney, and Platte River State Park.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:42 PM

34 posts, read 53,376 times
Where is a good small town with low humidity in Nebraska? I did live in Cheyenne years ago but I can't remember the area very well. Thank you.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:43 PM

9 posts, read 10,423 times
You might enjoy Kearney (centrally located)! It is a town of around 30k, and is very nice! Kearney is host to a D2 college (UNK) which brings culture, sporting events, etc. it also is home to the best medical center in between Denver and Omaha. It is a relatively white collar town due to those two factors (college and medical), but there is also a new technology park being developed. Kearney also has hike and bike trails, decent dining and shopping, a great school district, and a very nice clean atmosphere. Nice homes would probably start around 200k.

Last edited by JoAnnahBless; 07-20-2014 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: Grammar error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska