Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:05 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,784,558 times

Advertisements

I’m hearing a lot of information about the pipeline both the good and the bad, however I’ve not seen much talk about the issue here in the state forum. Local issues need local attention. Having lived here in the past and having friends and relatives who continue to live in Nebr I’m interested in what’s happening with the state.

BOLD Nebraska

The website seems to bring some information and attention to the issue but I’d like to hear more about it from those who are directly affected by this pipeline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 07:43 PM

152 posts, read 243,148 times
There are several things that come to my mind regarding the XL Pipeline.

First, there are already dozens upon dozens of pipelines running across Nebraska (even over the Aquifer), and they've been operating for years. There has never been a problem.

Second, do we really think it's more environmentally friendly to ship this oil by rail?

Third, our own Oracle of Omaha is making out like a bandit on this one. He owns the railroad that is making millions of dollars shipping this oil. He also makes major campaign contributions to the President who nixed the XL Pipeline. Coincidence?

That said, there is probably a better route than the one originally proposed. But do we really think that the alternatives to the pipeline are better than building & using it? It is unfortunate that this project has become more political than anything else.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 AM

The Canadians don’t want the oil pipeline running thru their country makes me think they know something that most Americans don’t understand or consider. They don’t want the pollutants, the refineries, or the oil spills.

The credibility of the oil industry with spills, leaks, and their safety program hasn’t been good. Either way of moving the oil by rail or pipe for safety isn’t good. Our environment needs us to change to renewable energy if we want to move forward into the future. The continued use of oil (and this dirty oil) is now worse than ever. We must change our habits and methods for the betterment of the environment.

It has been said that the Koch brothers will make 80% of the oil profits from this area. They stand to benefit more than most anyone could imagine and they continue to push lobbyists and our political representatives and push for the oil pipeline.

We need to move away from oil (any oil) and go with renewable energy, living green is important for our next generation. This is the breaking point, now or never. I’d like to leave a country and world in a better way than I found it. Clean water and air is important and should not be forgotten at the cost of profits.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:52 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,858,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The Canadians don’t want the oil pipeline running thru their country makes me think they know something that most Americans don’t understand or consider. They don’t want the pollutants, the refineries, or the oil spills.

The credibility of the oil industry with spills, leaks, and their safety program hasn’t been good. Either way of moving the oil by rail or pipe for safety isn’t good. Our environment needs us to change to renewable energy if we want to move forward into the future. The continued use of oil (and this dirty oil) is now worse than ever. We must change our habits and methods for the betterment of the environment.

It has been said that the Koch brothers will make 80% of the oil profits from this area. They stand to benefit more than most anyone could imagine and they continue to push lobbyists and our political representatives and push for the oil pipeline.

We need to move away from oil (any oil) and go with renewable energy, living green is important for our next generation. This is the breaking point, now or never. I’d like to leave a country and world in a better way than I found it. Clean water and air is important and should not be forgotten at the cost of profits.

Do you have links for your assertion from an unbiased source or has your opinion been enough to get you through?

You opine that the Koch's stand to make money on this venture but ignore the fact that "The Oracle" already is. It's hard to accept the opinion of those that ignore facts but use slanted politics to speculate.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 AM

I don’t feel that providing links to each and every documentary or news event that has occurred over the recent couple of years would change most people’s thoughts necessarily. There are video, radio and other documentations that provide facts related to both sides of the story, however if an individual can’t or won’t make a reasonable effort to learn more than I can’t help them. It requires a personal effort to become informed and learn more of both side of a story.

The original post provided a link BOLD Nebraska that contained several other links and sources of information. People need to do their own homework and search for the truth of what’s good or not good for them and their neighbors.

Documentaries and information can be found in abundance on YouTube, google provides a source for news and information. Past history has shown in the news that the oil pipe lines that run across most every state have failures. The failures cause health issues and pollute our resources. The cleanup efforts have not always been positive in most cases. The oil, gas and coal industries records stand for themselves, and tell us what we don’t want to see continued in for future.

I’m aware of Oracle and Warn Buffet with the rail being used for moving tar-sand oils. The problem isn’t just moving this dirty oil from point to point or how it gets there, it’s that we don’t need it. It’s time to get off of dirty energy fuels and move to renewable ones.

It’s not just a matter of pipeline breaks in and around the Ogallala Aquifer; it’s a matter of “when” it happens. They can’t correct and restore the water supply that covers a five state area. Removing the pollutions isn’t possible once underground from an oil spill.

My personal opinion has been formed from multiple facts from different sources, it’s up to each person to investigate and understand what is important to them, what is needed in our environment for our personal health and wellbeing.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:14 PM

You gave yourself away when you brought the Koch brothers into the issue. I'm so tired of the hypocritical babble where everything must be evil if xyz may make money on a project. There's no problem with Warren Buffet making money even though it's far more dangerous to ship the oil by rail.

It's fine to have opposing views on issues. It only becomes a problem when one side claims to be taking the high road while ignoring reality. Just my informed opinion.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:54 PM

Americans think that we need the oil, however they'll ship 100% of this dirty oil across the country to be refined and only 4% of the oil will be used in the US. I don't see why we need to take the risk with moving it anyplace, leave it there and go with alternative renewable energy. I listen to or read both sides of the issue however it always comes back to lack of trust in the industry for safety. Someone is always going to make money and profit, however that is their only motivator. They're not looking out for the farmers or consumers we're just in the mix, but they do want their profit. It happens with any large corporate industry. Just my opinion based on everything I've seen.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:31 PM

I think the point you're missing is that the dirty oil is being transported by rail...right now...which is more dangerous. The fact that Buffett moved on insider information and is most definitely profiting in an environmentally unfriendly way doesn't seem to be troubling but if the Koch brothers were to move in a safer direction ie the pipeline, it is all about the profit motive.

Of course moving toward renewable energy is fine but it won't happen overnight. The EPA is currently striking a horrendous blow to the middle class and even more so to the poor. Those that can least afford it will be lining the pockets of poor ole' Warren Buffett as he takes tremendous risks with the environment.

Why is he allowed to do it? Because he backs the right people. And the motive of those people is not the preservation of the environment.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:25 PM

I didn’t miss the oil being transported by rail. I was aware of it, simply changing from one mode of transport to another isn’t any guarantee it’s safer and disaster recovery might be impossible with a pipeline leak. As for profits, it’s always going to be a Buffett, Koch or someone by another name that will profit from an enterprise.

If the process continues to move dirty tar-sand oil to the gulf area for refining where will the byproducts and pollutants be dumped – in someone else’s backyard Texas and Louisiana. Canada didn’t want the mess so why should the US take it? Again, the US will only use 4% of the oil for our needs, and 100% of the pollutants and hazards.

How do we clean up the Ogallala aquifer should there be a disaster? That pure water is what is needed by many farmers and cities.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:51 PM

Question Compare Nebr with Nevada for a moment

Las Vegas needs clean water to continue business and to live, however the Colorado river can’t continue to provide enough water as the demands are going higher and the water level retained at the damn continues to go down.

Nothing can be taken from the giant underground aquifer in Nevada, and the contaminated water continues to move to the southwest of the state. Is this the future for Nebraska and the Midwest but only with oil instead of radiation? They can’t undo what was done years ago, it’s unfixable!

Nevada's hidden ocean of radiation

Quote:
YUCCA FLAT, NEV. — A sea of ancient water tainted by the Cold War is creeping deep under the volcanic peaks, dry lake beds and pinyon pine forests covering a vast tract of Nevada.

Over 41 years, the federal government detonated 921 nuclear warheads underground at the Nevada Test Site, 75 miles northeast of Las Vegas. Each explosion deposited a toxic load of radioactivity into the ground and, in some cases, directly into aquifers.
Quote:
In a study for Nye County, where the nuclear test site lies, Buqo estimated that the underground tests polluted 1.6 trillion gallons of water. That is as much water as Nevada is allowed to withdraw from the Colorado River in 16 years -- enough to fill a lake 300 miles long, a mile wide and 25 feet deep.

At today's prices, that water would be worth as much as $48 billion if it had not been fouled, Buqo said.

Although the contaminated water is migrating southwest from the high ground of the test site, the Energy Department has no cleanup plans, saying it would be impossible to remove the radioactivity. Instead, its emphasis is on monitoring.
Nevada's hidden ocean of radiation - Los Angeles Times

Concerns Arise Over Aquifer Near Nuclear Test Site - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska