U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 06:45 PM

6 posts, read 30,824 times

Advertisements

Hi...
i am a doctor who is thinking of accepting a job offer in columbus, NE. I wish if anyone can help me in making the right decision... I live in Michigan right now....
1- Do you really recommend columbus as a place of living?
2- do you recommend buying or just rent first to see if we will stay longeer?
3- what is the best place to live in , giving that I have to be able to get to the hospital fast in case I have an emeregncy ?
4- what is bad about living there )?
5- does anyone have an experiance with the hospital, is it an advanced hospital, good doctors, easy access, in a good area or not,..?

I would really appreciate that alot..........

Dr. Shady cool
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 02:04 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,914,393 times
We would love to have you in our state. I don't live in Columbus, but I will tell you what I know. Columbus is a city of a little over 20,000, which is large by Nebraska standards. It isn't going to be a place for great nightlife, entertainment or shopping, you will have to drive to Lincoln or Omaha for that (Omaha approx 1.5 hr to westside, Lincoln probably a little farther). However, there is Super Wal-mart, Hyvee, Super Saver, Menards, a mall type outdoor plaza and more for shopping, all the basic fast food, and applebee's and some other good sit down. If you are unsure about coming but want to try the job, I would recommend renting, however not sure what you would be able to find. The best place to probably look would be the paper (The Columbus Telegram - Columbus, Nebraska's Community Newspaper). Housing is pretty cheap compared to the rest of the country, the problem is if you decide to leave might be getting the place to sell. I believe the hospital is on the northwest side. There are some really nice neighborhoods on the north side, especially up by the lakes. I haven't lived so I don't know about the hospital and couldn't really give you the bad of town. If you have any more ?'s just post away.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:13 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,393,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadycool View Post
Hi...
i am a doctor who is thinking of accepting a job offer in columbus, NE. I wish if anyone can help me in making the right decision... I live in Michigan right now....
1- Do you really recommend columbus as a place of living?
2- do you recommend buying or just rent first to see if we will stay longeer?
3- what is the best place to live in , giving that I have to be able to get to the hospital fast in case I have an emeregncy ?
4- what is bad about living there )?
5- does anyone have an experiance with the hospital, is it an advanced hospital, good doctors, easy access, in a good area or not,..?

I would really appreciate that alot..........

Dr. Shady cool
1) Having lived in Columbus prior and owned a home there for a little over 7 years. You would not find me moving back. Not originally being from Columbus I found it to be a very clicky town. The town left a bad taste in my mouth. Not saying it would do the same for you.

2) I believe if you would choose to purchase a home there and then at a later time decided to move, you would not have a problem of selling you home. I just had a close friend move from the city after a short stay of two years and they had no problem moving their home quickly.

3) I would look at homes on the north side of town to enable yourself to be close to the hospital. Possibly out near Lakeview addition. Nice area.

4) While the town has a Super Walmart and a new outdoor Mall located on the east edge of town. It still lacks good shopping. Traffic through the main highways in town during certain hours is horrible to say the least.

5) With a new hospital just being built in the last few years. I would say the location leaves something to be desired. I am not familiar with what was added as far as services goes to the new hospital. My wife's side of the family has had more experience with the hospital itself. I believe they felt the staff was bit slow in decisions on moving patients on to other hospitals when they could not meet their needs.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:59 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,888,510 times
Quote:
Not originally being from Columbus I found it to be a very clicky town.
Doctors are generally part of the click Guru, they're in the right wage brackett.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,172 times
Our family just moved to Columbus six months ago and we are involved in healthcare in the hospital. We would definintely welcome you to our town and I think the town would welcome you warmly. We live north of the hospital. We have four children and are involved in many church-related activities. I can post more details later, if you're interested in specifics. Are you family practice? Specialty?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 11,942 times
I live in Columbus and it is a very nice town. Yes the shopping is limited there, but there is some available for everyday needs. Depending on where you live and what you do certain people can be clicky. We had no problems with it personally although I did witness it for some others. If you are Catholic there are 3 churches there that would be great to get involved in any of them. Personally I think St. Isidore's is the best. Fr. Joe is great! I have had a few experiences with the hospital and they were mostly positive. I did have a problem with one insensitive dr. in the emergency room, but I'm over it. We are going to be moving out of Columbus to a smaller community for family reasons, but I will still go to Columbus for medical visits. There are lots of nice neighborhoods and developments around the hospital. There are a few that will be developed here shortly that are very close to the hospital. Finding a place to rent can be difficult, so you may want to think about buying. If you do buy you shouldn't have a problem selling. Overall the town isn't too big that it's difficult to get around. Yes the traffic can be a bear sometimes, but it's nothing compared to Lincoln or Omaha. I love Columbus and think it's a great town. Not too big and not too small. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,128 times
I grew up in Columbus. My family has lived there since the 1900's. I wouldn't move back to that clicky, money worshiping, soul damaging town if I had to. I am healthy and happy living on the West coast. I wouldn't recommend anyone moving there. That town needs a good cleaning. They tout their values as being wholesome as long as your values fit their values. If not, your not accepted.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 PM

15 posts, read 34,420 times
also "been there, done that" and agree with the others that say it is clicky and people are way too judgemental and critical of others. It is REALLY BAD for those things. I wouldn't go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>