Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:48 AM

26 posts, read 151,662 times

Advertisements

Lurking from another state. I've read that Superman wears Bo Pelini pajamas to bed. I also read that before Chuck Norris goes to sleep at night, he checks his closet for Bo Pelini. Any thoughts or anecdotes to add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:59 AM

135 posts, read 548,280 times
Pelini is probably going to be ok--but don't expect great things from him for the first 10 years or so.

It is really a shame that the Huskers couldn't have gone with Ted Roof (assuming he would have wanted to come to Lincoln--a big if)--he was available and coming into his prime.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 AM

135 posts, read 548,280 times
Pelini is probably going to be ok--but don't expect great things from him for the first 10 years or so.

It is really a shame that the Huskers couldn't have gone with Ted Roof (assuming he would have wanted to come to Lincoln--a big if)--he was available and coming into his prime.[/quote]

Old 12-11-2007, 02:44 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
I disagree. Pelini will nearly instantly revitalize the program. We have plenty of talent. The problem is putting them in a position to win and be competitive. I will not be shocked at all if NU wins the Big 12 North next season.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:02 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Default Well, you can never be sure...

You can never be certain, but here is why I get good vibes:
Keeping Watson and Gilmore - Offense should soften the blow
Pelini is a GREAT defensive CO - He will be the HC and DC and our D is sure
to shore up, he has done wonders everywhere he
has gone with defenses
Recruiting - There have been some deflections lately, however, we will be
hearing announcements soon on VERY GOOD replacements

Intesity - We won an 'above average' amount of games without it, and Pelini
is going to reinstall it after an 8 year stint without it

SCARY THOUGHTS
Pelinis first year as a HC

Good thoughts about the scary thought-- beyond that he has done well to help himself transition to this high-profile role by surrounding himself with people established with the program and sure-fire assistant coaches, he also plans on a continual learning process where he will be open and talk to coaches and Osborne..

Old 12-11-2007, 06:14 PM

I agree Ehenn. Our offense will not change much and our defense will go from pathetic to at least decent. Those two things alone will make us an above average team. Pelini is that special breed though that could turn our defense around 180 degrees. If he's able to turn our defense into a dominate force then watch out!

I like the fact that he kept Watson. Watson was kind of hamstrung by Callahan's religious like devotion to the NFL style west coast system. With Watson you'll see more of a hybrid multiple "west coast system". Did you see all those spread option plays Ganz ran during the CU game? You'll see Watson take a more "college like" approach and you'll see a stronger running game and more QB mobility.

I'm not predicting a miracle or anything, but the infusion of intensity on defense is something that's contagious. We have talent and we have productivity on offense. Bo's presence will really bring back the "defense wins championships" mentality our defense has lacked the last 4 years. I'm thinking a 9-3 season is reasonable...not guaranteed, but something that's possible.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
Default Bo Pelini

As a former Sports Reporter for the student newspaper of UNL, I thought I would drop by and add my two cents.

It seems to me that a lot of people have a lot of faith in Coach Pelini even though his head coaching career consists of one game. To me, this lack of experience is a knock. That doesn't mean that he'll be a great coach one day though I have my doubts. Don't get me wrong, I'll root for him as much as the next guy but let's be realistic. It's just too early to tell and there will be growing pains. My guess is that it will be at least five years before the team can start contending for a Big 12 title and even longer for national championships. Hopefully, he'll have that much time but Husker fans seem to have little patience these days.

I think that the best move Osborne could have done is to hire someone like Jim Grobe, who's been there and done that. I understand that he has no connection to UNL but Pelini has very little. I like Pelini's passion and he seems to motivate players but is that enough? I gues we'll see but please be patient.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:30 PM

I hear that argument a lot and I don't really follow it. Every single great coach that is/was out there started out not being a head coach. Prior to being named HC at NU, Osborne wasn't a headcoach. There are tons of examples of people coming in who were not headcoaches and doing wonderful jobs at their respective schools. Osborne is trying to build a program where the HC may be a round for 15 to 20 years. This wouldn't have happened with Grobe. Plus, Grobe would have just brought it in his staff. Pelini is able to come and surround himself and the program with coaches with ties to the program.

To me going out an trying to hire a big name up and coming head coach from a smaller time program is just a quick fix. I think its clear Osborne is trying reestablish the programs identity and I think the only two hires which could do this were Pelini or Gill. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:56 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,287 times
We're in for the long haul, period. Someone without HC experience is a huge plus to our program, if you can't see that then you don't know much about Nebraska football. Wow, I just can't believe anyone is questioning TO's decision, lol!!!

Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
Default Well...

I'm not sure that I agree a lack of HC experience is an asset because there more people that had no HC experience that went on to be bad or mediocre HC's than great HC's. We have to realize that T.O. knows a great deal about football but he can't predict the future. Let's look at this way:

The people in Nebraska wanted T.O. gone after his first few seasons. Luckily, the university didn't give in to this pressure and we were rewarded because he was arguably the greatest head coach ever.

Frank Solich had a better record than T.O. and Devaney during his tenure at NU but the people of Nebraska wanted to his head as well. Who's to say that Pelini will be any better than Frank? Nobody because none of us know for sure.

As a lifelong Husker fan, I will root and cheer for Bo but I will not call for his head in four years if he has a few down years. Being an HC for the first time is a BIG challenge because you need to evaluate talent on defense and offense and special teams. You need to learn to recruit and you need to bring in talent.

And while this team has some talent, it clearly isn't on the same level as the cream of the crop of the Big XII. For that reason, I think it will be at least four years before we are legit Big XII contenders. I hope I am wrong but I am not so sure.

I guess that's why they play the season...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: