Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:07 AM

17,497 posts, read 17,366,182 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to be insulting. I hear people talk about certain states being nothing but farmland and not worth visiting. I don't buy into this based upon some of the misperceptions I've heard about my home state. My wife's health is slowly deteriorating which will ultimately lead to her being in a wheelchair. I hope to take her to see as many of the continental 48 states as possible before that time comes. She's been to Texas and Florida. I know of what's available in other nearby states. Nature and historical sites are more of what I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 10:20 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,980,515 times
Just a little bit.

(That's the Omaha skyline. Metro population just shy of 1 million.)

I'm sorry to hear of your wife's health problems. There are indeed many things to do and see in Nebraska. This would be a good place to start: Electronic Travel Guide

Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 AM

17,497 posts, read 17,366,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Just a little bit.

(That's the Omaha skyline. Metro population just shy of 1 million.)

I'm sorry to hear of your wife's health problems. There are indeed many things to do and see in Nebraska. This would be a good place to start: Electronic Travel Guide
Thank. There are some things I saw that I wish we could do but can't due to health. I use to love to go canoeing. So relaxing and peaceful. She can't swim anymore. Her spinal problems would make it difficult to see some things. We'd have to go over that site together do see what she can safely do without a walker or motorized wheelchair.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:31 AM

9,001 posts, read 10,140,506 times
From what I hear, no.
I speak to people from all over the world, literally.
And every person that's been to Nebraska has said there's nothing there, lol
Just frickin' cornfields.
One person said if Nebraska fell off the face of the map. nobody would miss it.
I tend to believe them all.

Another person told me that Omaha used to be trashy or low class....
And they're trying to finally make an effort to improve their image.
Still, why go there when there's so many other cooler options?

Old 08-15-2014, 12:35 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,301,525 times
There are more corn fields in Iowa then there is in Nebraska. Only the eastern third of Nebraska is corn fields. If you go west of the corn it's almost all range land. There are more cattle in Nebraska then people (at least 5 years ago).

So if any one says there's nothing but corn fields in Nebraska then they would be incorrect or they were just basing their judgement on the Eastern side of the state.

Also, if Nebraska just went away, every one would be starving so they would miss the state. There is only a few states that can grow corn in any quantity, Iowa, Nebraska, and Indiana. Corn is used in almost everything from plastics to fuel to food.

When the corn is 10 foot tall it is a great thing to see.

I have actually been to all 50 states and seen what they have to offer and have made the decision to stay in Nebraska.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,020,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I'm not trying to be insulting. I hear people talk about certain states being nothing but farmland and not worth visiting. I don't buy into this based upon some of the misperceptions I've heard about my home state. My wife's health is slowly deteriorating which will ultimately lead to her being in a wheelchair. I hope to take her to see as many of the continental 48 states as possible before that time comes. She's been to Texas and Florida. I know of what's available in other nearby states. Nature and historical sites are more of what I'm looking for.

Absolutely, there is SNOW!!!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:47 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,604,239 times
I lived there for 12 years until 2009, and I would say generally no, there isn't a lot more there than corn, besides cattle. Lincoln and Omaha are of course not full of corn, but they are small cities/big towns by most outsiders' standards and don't really have much worthy of seeing for someone from out of state.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:09 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,746,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Well, there's more than corn, but not much that is generally considering attractive draws for out of staters, relatively speaking (ie, relative to other states). There are simply some states where being the tourism commissioner or equivalent is an almost impossible task.

There are no National Parks (though there are a couple of nice National Monuments in the west of the state, but each takes less than a day to see - only worth going out of your way if you're already in the area), there are no large metropolitan areas (no, Omaha is not a large metropolitan area) and all that they offer, and the topography is intensely boring in most of the state. However, if you are in the area, the Sand Hills might be worth a detour.

On the other hand, Nebraska is no worse than Iowa, and probably a touch less mind-numbingly boring than Kansas.

Nature? Well, then National Parks are definitely places that are spectacular from a natural aspect, and are mostly convenient even to people who are less than physically fit. Near Florida, I recommend the National Seashores in Georgia, Mississippi (part of that one extends into the Florida panhandle), North Carolina (there are two of them there) as well as National Parks in South Carolina and North Carolina/Tennessee. And, of course, all the western states have multiple terrific parts of the National Parks system (Parks, Monuments, Preserves, National Recreation Areas, a single National Seashore, etc.). California has an exceptional state parks system, too. The Great Lakes - especially Lake Superior - are wonderfully scenic, too.

As for history, the entire eastern seaboard teems with it (and natural beauty, too).

Good luck to the two of you!

Old 08-16-2014, 01:22 AM

84 posts, read 138,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM
Is there more to Nebraska than corn?
Farmers in eastern Nebraska typically rotate back and forth between corn and soy beans. So there's a lot of soy beans grown here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM
Well, there are a few interesting state parks, but nothing amazing in my opinion as a lifelong resident. I suggest just driving through Nebraska and going to South Dakota instead. The South Dakota Badlands and Black Hills are excellent. Definitely a very nice scenic place to visit. Nothing comparable exists in Nebraska.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:20 PM

216 posts, read 946,894 times
Nebraska is different all over the state, flat, hills, trees etc. These videos show the differences, and diversities of the terrain, and country/city living. Just look at the Nebraska ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD_i...-Ovs8WBMT2fd8h
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska