Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 09:27 AM

625 posts, read 948,148 times

Advertisements

I am looking at houses but I selected a house and made an offer on a house that doesn't have a basement. The other houses that were available with a basement weren't as good in quality. I didn't fill out the loan application and the closing won't be for three more weeks. If I buy this house and try to sell it after the mortgage is paid off, will it be worth it? Or should I walk away from all this altogether?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:05 AM

4,818 posts, read 6,825,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
I am looking at houses but I selected a house and made an offer on a house that doesn't have a basement. The other houses that were available with a basement weren't as good in quality. I didn't fill out the loan application and the closing won't be for three more weeks. If I buy this house and try to sell it after the mortgage is paid off, will it be worth it? Or should I walk away from all this altogether?
Just make sure that you make friends with your neighbors as you will be visiting from time to time when there's a tornado warning.

As long as you have a close place to seek refuge during one of these storms, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some people would avoid your house when reselling it with the primary reason not being safety, but missing the extra living area.

If you have a sloped back yard you could even put in a tornado shelter. This is nothing more than a small dug out room with steps going down and built with block or poured concrete with a cellar door on it. Pretty inexpensive. My son has one and in case of a tornado, he's even safer than those that have basements. There isn't anything that's going to come down on him should the house collapse.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:42 AM

10,297 posts, read 7,881,005 times
If the house has a good-sized garage, you could also get an above-ground steel tornado shelter installed. They're not as good as the below-ground versions, but still offer substantial protection.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:41 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,458,542 times
To the OP, NO

Old 11-01-2014, 08:29 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,817,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
Basements in Lincoln can be a problem if they are located in the wrong area. For instance a basement on top of a hill and with a type of soil that drains adequately will probably be just fine but a house a few hundred feet away at the bottom of the hill with a high clay content in the soil may be problematical. Pay a licensed inspector the money to do an inspection. Don't use an engineer that the listing agent recommends, find your own.

Gunluvver2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: