Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:52 PM

39 posts, read 118,380 times

Advertisements

I am trying to relocate myself my two young children and our two dogs to a new place in Ne. I am living in St.Edward Ne and quite frankly can't stand it here. I would like to move to a "pretty" place because my children love to be outside and I love to take pictures. I have been told Valentine or Ainsworth are very pretty as well as Gothenburg. I want a smaller town for the smaller schools and the small town feel. I'm going to school for Early childhood Education so a place where I could do that would be nice. I need to be able to make a living and support my kids since I am a single mother. Price of living can't be sky high. I plan to rent, since buying is just out of the question right now. Does anyone have any suggestions about other places to live possibly or if there are jobs and rentals in those areas or where to look for information. I need a job before I move anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 07:40 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,719 times
Gothenburg will definitely give you better options for employment. There are more towns around that all have school systems.
Both Valentine and Ainsworth are remote enough that there aren't other schools nearby for driving. (And no matter where you end up you'll probably be using your Elementary certification rather than your EC simply because there are far more of those available than EC. Guess what my certifications are in. lol)

Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 AM

696 posts, read 1,726,159 times
My question is why do you hate St Edward?

If you want to keep going to school for Early Childhood Ed you
need to start with a list of locations where you can do this.
Then pick the pretty location.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:51 AM

I hate St.Edward because of how small it is and for all the gossip and rumors that get started. I have had a lot of problems here with people being very rude to my nearly 3 year old son because they hate his dad and I got kicked out of my church for dating him. ( A girl in my church accused him of sexually assaulting her. There was NO evidence and the case got dropped after her changing her story for a year) Its just a lot of different reasons.

For me and for my children it is time for a change. I do agree that I should find places to work before picking a location. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do, therefore it makes it hard to look for that particular area...

itsMeFred~ Do you have any suggestions on the best small towns for this job?

Old 10-14-2010, 06:55 PM

Basically what I'd do is just watch the state Department of Ed's website the spring you graduate. It'll have job listings all over the state...

Quote:
I hate St.Edward because of how small it is and for all the gossip and rumors that get started.
Kiddo, I hate to break this to you, but that is just a fact of small town life no matter where you go. Any town under about 10,000 is going to be this way to one extent or another.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Basically what I'd do is just watch the state Department of Ed's website the spring you graduate. It'll have job listings all over the state...

Kiddo, I hate to break this to you, but that is just a fact of small town life no matter where you go. Any town under about 10,000 is going to be this way to one extent or another.
You hit the head right on the hammer......very good.

One thing about western NE there are no jobs out there. If there were I would be there is a New York second.

The jobs you will find are 6.00 to 8.00 hr and if you live out in the country not in town $2.89 gas will kill you in costs just to drive.

You can find a good big house to rent for cheap because there is no one out there. Tons of vacant houses and apartments.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
One thing about western NE there are no jobs out there.

Yes there are. How do you think those of us who live out here pay our bills??

(Not to mention, the OP is looking at Ainsworth, Valentine and Gothenburg. All of those are pretty much smack dab in central Nebraska)

Old 10-15-2010, 09:44 AM

696 posts, read 1,726,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post

Agreed!!!!

While there is this problem in ALL small towns.
I can see where with this particular problem with the guy and the church,
a move is needed.

The problem in the new town will be how to give out any old town info when the new town people are prying into your past without looking like you are hiding something (to them).

Are you getting your schooling at Norfolk or Columbus?

I would stay closer to it so you can finish school.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:00 PM

I am going to school in Columbus. Yea, I know that gossip is a thing in any small town. I work in Albion, and its bad there to. I just need a change for my kids and for me. My son is only two and a half and I can't take him to the park in town when other kids are there, because they pick on him and call him names. He does not deserve that at all.

I can't afford the living in Columbus, and don't know where to go from there. I will have to watch that site for sure, thank you.
B0550A16-4DE1-29CD-54E1-B75B45EA7A92

Old 10-16-2010, 03:44 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,542,911 times
Valentine, nebraska info you can find at Valentine, Nebraska - HeartCity.com - The official guide to Valentine Nebraska and Cherry County

valentine nebraska btw has a subway Restaurant as does Ainsworth Nebraska

Ainsworth nebraska info is at Ainsworth, Nebraska in Brown County

Gothenburg Nebraska website/info is at GOTHENBURG

Gothenburg has a Runza Restaurant and a dollar general

Gothenburg also has a small movie theatre (see) http://www.suntheatre.org/

radio stations you can get in each of the 3 cities is listed in links below

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/loc...sort=freq&sid=

(ainsworth also has a local radio station) http://www.kbrbradio.com/ KBRB 92.7 and 1400 am. ainsworth's home for Nebraska Cornhusker football.

cable lineups for Ainsworth and Valentine (gee, I have too much free time on my hands today)

http://www.threeriver.net/services/AinsworthCable.php

http://www.threeriver.net/services/V...nnelLineup.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska