U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 04:49 PM

73 posts, read 508,290 times

Advertisements

Plan on driving I-80 across the state the last week in April. How is the weather that time of year. Is this an easy trip?
Thanks,
Tom Tom
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 05:21 PM

90,139 posts, read 108,078,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tom View Post
Plan on driving I-80 across the state the last week in April. How is the weather that time of year. Is this an easy trip?
Thanks,
Tom Tom
Generally good weather. VERY easy trip.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:40 PM

2,589 posts, read 9,790,211 times
If you are not in a hurry and can spare a little extra time then might want to get OFF the interstate and travel across the state. The state has tons of variety lots of cool geography, but unfortunatly I-80 sits in a river valley across the entire state. Pick the most boring part of the state and put all the travelers there.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:36 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,773,531 times
You might encounter rain or severe t-storm, but otherwise no weather worries. Expect construction especially between Omaha and Lincoln. Good stopping towns in my opinion: Omaha, Lincoln, York, Kearney, Lexington, North Platte, Ogalalla, Sidney. Other decent gas/eat stops: Seward, Aurora, GI/Hastings exit, Cozad, Gothenburg, Kimball. Its a little over 450 miles across the state, 75 mph speed limit. I'm guessing your just going to drive through as I see your post also on Iowa and Wyoming forums, but if your interested in tourist stops, let us know. Otherwise have a safe trip.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:33 PM

Just set the cruise control for 75 (I won't encourage speeding, LOL!) and you're off! There may be a lot of trucks on the road, and of course, you never know when there's construction.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:42 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,364,006 times
April is generally a decent month to drive on I-80. I would be more concerned with going in March with winter's last hurrah. There may be an occasional snow but the chances generally diminish quickly after the very late part of March or very early April. Most of the times it is general rain and is usually easy to handle.

I agree with the prior posts on going 75 and that the interstate goes through the least scenic part of the state.

When I pass through Nebraska, generally getting on I-80 at the Grand Island/Hastings exit and stopping occasionally until taking I-76 towards Denver, I find the gas stations closest to the interstates in places such as Kearney and North Platte tend to be higher than those further away (but it is a convenience vs. cost tradeoff). I usually fill up inside Grand Island to save 15 or 20 cents a gallon.

Nebraska has more sizable cities located along I-80 than Iowa, but there are sufficient number of places to stop, stretch, eat, and stay with each state. Wyoming, one needs to plan more carefully with towns and stops being further apart than Iowa and Nebraska. You will find the Nebraskans be friendly people.

In regards to speed. On the interstate, 75 is the speed limit and when there is a gap in truck traffic, it is good to set the cruise at 75. I would not chance any more than 5 over. I have seen in the past when motorists, especially out-of-staters, go 85 mph or 90 mph and then get pulled over 5-10 miles ahead.

You will be fine going through Nebraska.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:29 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,614,040 times
It'll be flat, boring and fast. I80 is not a "drive." It's just the fastest way to get from here to there.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:27 AM

I agree that gas near the interstates runs higher than in Omaha, which is usually our first fuel stop. Ogallala is that way, too. Some of us were just talking about that at a party yesterday, LOL. I will say it's sometimes quite a ways off the highway to these towns where it is cheaper. If time is of the essence, it's better to pay more for one tankful and get going again, IMO.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:29 AM

13 posts, read 30,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
It'll be flat, boring and fast. I80 is not a "drive." It's just the fastest way to get from here to there. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/fr...smiley-013.gif
I think I agree with Mr. Fred, here.

Tom you'll find this to be the easiest road trip you'll ever take... and like Fred says, probably TOO easy. Bring along some jarring music to keep you awake and make lots of coffee stops!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 AM

1,119 posts, read 3,913,700 times
Default I have..

I have really grown to like North Platte..

Not far to the north, you have the scenic Sand Hills, and to the south you have what looks like the rockies foothills.

Plus North Platte has great restaurants, especially the whiskey creek chain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or