U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:24 PM

2,589 posts, read 9,949,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnebbear View Post
Steve_W and Dave1215, I agree with you as the ride through rural Nebraska to the Black Hills along Hwy 2 is a real nice ride. I have friends who go to Sturgis every year and they go around Nebraska when they ride, because of the helmet law. Maybe next year we will have a choice. I ride but my choice is to wear a helmet.
I don't ride, but if I did I would wear a helmet; however, I do support someone over 18 with safety training having the option.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 05:32 PM

884 posts, read 871,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnebbear View Post
Steve_W and Dave1215, I agree with you as the ride through rural Nebraska to the Black Hills along Hwy 2 is a real nice ride. I have friends who go to Sturgis every year and they go around Nebraska when they ride, because of the helmet law. Maybe next year we will have a choice. I ride but my choice is to wear a helmet.
I don't ride either but agree with Dave. Everyone should have the option. You can get your head crushed in a car just as easily.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:25 PM

475 posts, read 2,118,733 times
I agree... let's not undermine the process of natural selection... the advancement of our species depends on it.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 AM

4,527 posts, read 8,026,069 times
Now I am glad that LB253 did not pass. The Amendment #1547(?) that required everyone to show proof of $1 million in Health Insurance when they bought Motorcycle plates was poorly thought out. I have over $1 million coverage but it is expensive and a lot of younger riders will not be able to afford it.

Both sides of the argument were very ill informed about the issue. Ernie Chambers presented the best case for passing the Helmet Law repeal. It is usually a cold day in hell when I agree with Ernie. Does anyone have the phone number of the Devil so we can check and see what the thermometer said on Monday?

GL2

Old 01-17-2008, 10:27 AM

How about Amendment #1548 which will isolate all expenses of motorcyclists who don't wear helmets... such that none of the rest of us must compensate for their medical bills/insurance premiums.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:18 PM

4,178 posts, read 10,063,120 times
I don't think that's exactly fair, either.
We used to ride, and always wore brain buckets, personal choice. However, a friend of ours never wore a helmet. He was slammed by one car into another. According to the doctors in the ER and surgery, because of the impact, the cous and contra-cous of his head slamming back and forth in a helmet on the cars, then on the road, would have killed him instantly had he been wearing a helmet. As it is, he survived with two legs crushed. He still never wears a helmet. Our (24 YOA, out-of-the-house) daughter got a bike this last year and the first thing we demanded she do was get a helmet. Yes, we believe chances are better of survival with a helmet. But that isn't always the case. And let's face it, if it's a choice between brain damage/vegetative state or instant death, which is preferable?

Personally I think that everyone should be responsible for their own medical bills, no one else's, but you can't make sweeping legislation based solely on the wearing/not wearing of a helmet.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:28 PM

No suprise: Senator Chambers reintroduced the elimination of the death penalty again - he's done that every year. Will be interesting to see what he does this, his last year, to get that passed.

Also: Saw on the news today that Senators Synowiecki and Nelson each introduced a bill to expand the powers of Omaha throughout the state. One is asking to take money from the State's cash reserves and give it to Omaha to fix up Rosenblatt Stadium and the other would allow Omaha to annex across county lines. Both of these would have big rolling affects throughout the entire state. I put links to both of these on a different thread. Here is the link.

I hope our rural senators stand up to Omaha.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:32 PM

4,178 posts, read 10,063,120 times
Cain't they do like Ron White says they did in Texas - put the death penalty in the fast lane?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Cain't they do like Ron White says they did in Texas - put the death penalty in the fast lane?

I agree with that.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Personally I think that everyone should be responsible for their own medical bills, no one else's, but you can't make sweeping legislation based solely on the wearing/not wearing of a helmet.
I was actually joking with that Bill #1548... there is no such bill. The problem isn't in making each of us responsible for our own medical bills... it's in having to subsidize increased insurance costs... because insurers have had to pay out on behalf of dumb motorcyclists who insist on not wearing helmets (well, that's of course a very specific narrow example.... we're also having to pay for people who don't eat right... people who insist on smoking... etc, etc, etc).

Quote:
I don't think the death penalty is the problem in Nebraska... it's that Nebraska is the ONLY state in the nation which REQUIRES use of the electric chair... which is the most diabolical means of putting one to death which exists in the western hemisphere. If nothing else... just eliminate 'the chair' and replace it with lethal injection. Our insistence in retaining ONLY the electric chair as the instrument for putting these people to death... just reinforces the nation wide perception that we're a bunch of red state, gun toting, bible beating, red necks living in the 19th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska