Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had to choose just one, would you say Nebraska is more like the Dakotas or Kansas?
The Dakotas 12 40.00%
Kansas 18 60.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:44 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

On the General U.S. forum is a topic asking which states are part of the Upper Midwest. It seems that Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin are considered by everybody to be Upper Midwestern states, and Michigan is considered to be by most. Those who consider the Great Plains states to be part of the Midwest all agree that the Dakotas are part of the Upper Midwest as well.

The Lower Midwest is a bit less defined. Based on what I've seen on this website, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio are universally considered to be Lower Midwestern states, as is Kansas by those who consider the Great Plains to be part of the Midwest. Missouri gets debated since some people consider it to be a Southern state, but I consider it to be Midwestern since most of it looks and behaves Midwestern, including the two major cities.

This leaves Nebraska. I'm really not sure how to categorize it. Geographically speaking, it's not very close to Canada, but it's not very far south either. I guess the best way to tell whether or not it's part of the Upper Midwest is to ask if it's more similar to the Dakotas or Kansas. I imagine it has similarities to both because I get the sense that the states in the central third of the U.S. seem to have a cultural gradient at work from north to south (ex.: Iowa is a blend of Minnesota and Missouri; Missouri is a blend of Iowa and Arkansas, etc.)

Anyway, since I've only spent an hour of my life in Nebraska, I need to hear it from Nebraskans themselves. If you had to choose only one, would you say Nebraska is more like the Dakotas or Kansas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 01:43 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
I think you are asking the wrong question. The question should be is Kansas or South Dakota more like Nebraska? Keep in mind that Nebraska territory (before state hood) included the area that is now all of South Dakota, North Dakota and the Eastern half of Wyoming and Montana. Kansas has never been apart of Nebraska. To add fuel to this, Politically Kansas and Nebraska are not close but Nebraska and the Dakotas are similar. Kansas is primarily grass land and wheat production. Nebraska and the Dakotas are primarily soy bean, and corn farming and ranching.

I have lived in Nebraska for almost 62 years and have traveled extensively in Kansas and South Dakota and I have always considered South Dakota to be a sister state and I have no such feelings for Kansas.

Just one Corn Husker's opinion.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:03 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
I've spent most of my life in Nebraska, but also having lived in both western Kansas, as well as the western Dakotas, I would have to say, "Both." lol

Kansas has a population more like Nebraska than either of the Dakotas (though ND is rapidly changing), ag is similar across the board with primarily commodity production, as well as a significant amount of cattle. Politics are very similar in all three states with the rural areas being conservative almost to the point of crippling, and urban areas being more liberal.

The similarities seem to be more related to size of community and location in relation to the rain shadow than anything else...

Old 03-08-2015, 08:26 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
All 4 states are divided more from east to west than from north to south, i.e., they're all about the same. If I HAD to pick one, I guess I'd say Nebraska is upper midwest, since the geographical center of the U.S. is in Kansas (northern Kansas).

Old 03-08-2015, 09:11 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
All 4 states are divided more from east to west than from north to south, i.e., they're all about the same.
Kind of my thought with the rainshadow. Western Kansas, for example, seems to have more in common with western South Dakota than it does Kansas City...

Old 03-11-2015, 12:54 AM

84 posts, read 138,607 times
Eastern Nebraska has a lot more in common "culturally" with Iowa than it does with either Kansas or the Dakotas. But if I was forced to pick between those two, I'd say the Dakotas (especially South Dakota). Kansas has some clear Southern influences (like the accent), which are almost non-existent in Nebraska.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:13 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
I agree with the east/west divide being more evident than north/south. Having grown up in the midwest, eastern Nebraska is almost indistinguishable from the three I's to its east: Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana in terms of terrain and climate. Humid with rolling farmland.

Central NE becomes the great plains and western NE is semi-arid.

Like its old motto: "Nebraska: where the west begins"

Old 03-13-2015, 10:47 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Nebraska Native View Post
Eastern Nebraska has a lot more in common "culturally" with Iowa than it does with either Kansas or the Dakotas. But if I was forced to pick between those two, I'd say the Dakotas (especially South Dakota). Kansas has some clear Southern influences (like the accent), which are almost non-existent in Nebraska.
Western Iowa might as well be East Nebraska. The western portion of the state is a bit drier (like East Nebraska dry, now West Nebraska dry is a whole different dry) and the politics are pretty much the same. Heck, the team of choice tends to be Big Red more often than not.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:04 PM

615 posts, read 1,390,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Kind of my thought with the rainshadow. Western Kansas, for example, seems to have more in common with western South Dakota than it does Kansas City...
Arguably true for the entire column of states from ND to TX! As one goes westward in any of these states, it quickly gets drier and far less populated. Fargo looks more like Houston than it looks like Medora, and Alliance resembles both Medora and Fort Stockton more so than Omaha.

If I have to answer the original question, I would say Nebraska is more like Kansas than South Dakota. Western SD is far more "open" than Western NE or KS, with a greater Native American population.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:24 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Most of eastern Nebraska is quite similar to western Iowa and eastern South Dakota. Western Nebraska is more like portions of the western Dakotas and northwest Kansas. Nebraska does not have as much in common with Kansas as it does with some of its other neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska